Still at a loss to understand taxes in Missouri!

Patricia3436
Level 2
Linn Creek, MO

Still at a loss to understand taxes in Missouri!

When I do get a person from Airbnb customer service they do not understand me and we go in circles. I cant figure out 100% if they collect and remit in my area. Missouri- Camden County- Lake of the Ozarks. From what I think I understand they collect and remit state taxes but I don't know what I'm supposed to do to show that I am remitting taxes paid by the guest through airbnb.  We are also supposed to be collecting a 3% county lodging tax which our local lodging association says airbnb is not collecting  bc they do not receive anything from them so we must collect and pay but I can't figure out how to do so. My cpa can help me with the sales tax part of what I pay but who can I get to  help me with  understanding the local lodging tax? Anyone from Missouri here?

12 Replies 12
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you tried joining a local host group for your area and asking there @Patricia3436 

None in my area yet

Ashley1813
Level 1
Rogersville, MO

Patricia, 

Airbnb only collects state taxes, not the county/city tax.  In Branson, I have to write the City of Branson a separate Use/Lodging Tax check each month.  In Branson, this is $% of my gross sales.  You will likely need to call Camden County or city to see how to file this 3%.  Airbnb submits the state sales tax to MO DOR.  

I received tax due notices and failure to file my sales tax return notices.  A lot of it was my ignorance and not filing.  I just filed all the monthly sales tax returns (the occupancy tax for hotels/short term rentals in Missouri is collected as sales tax) for each month in 2022.  The amount that I owed was much less than the original notices Missouri sent me.  I assume Missouri received some payment and occupancy information from Airbnb and that's how they knew to even send me the notice. 

Anyway I paid the amount I owed as calculated on my returns and then started working on 2023 taxes to get caught up.  As I started doing that and looking at figures I see that Airbnb has been collecting occupancy taxes from my guests on my behalf.  But none of the tax collected was credited to my tax account with Missouri.  Now I have to figure out where that money went.  Either Airbnb has kept it or it went into some general unassigned account with Missouri or assigned to a different account.  Does anyone have any information on how to get this all straightened out?  Both Airbnb and Missouri have my business EIN so it seems it should all link up.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Patricia3436   If your CPA can help you with sales tax, he should also be able to help you with the local lodging tax.  That information is readily available from your municipal offices.  They would be able to help you with the percentage you owe, how to file the tax report and make your payment.  

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey there @Patricia3436,

Did you manage to get an answer to your question, or did any of the members below give you an correct answer?  If so, it's always a lovely gesture to mark it as the best answer. It's like a big virtual hug to the member who supported you. 😊

If you need any help, just shout.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

There is no answer they avoid the question and sent me back to general support 

2create33 gmail. We need to file a case with the attorney general. 

Ava1111
Level 2
Kansas City, MO

We need to file a complaint with the Attorney General. I think they have scammed  both the customer and the hosts out of this money. I can het no answers out of them and no documentation. They simply refuse 

@Ava1111 would it not make more sense to ask your town/city/whatever local government entity if they have a tax collection agreement with Airbnb?

I have done that. I actually work for them. So its clear there is no transparency from Airbnb perspective. . But they collected the money on my behalf 

I'm having a similar issue in Missouri.  I received tax due notices and failure to file my sales tax returns.  A lot of it was my ignorance and not filing.  I just filed all the monthly sales tax returns (the occupancy tax for hotels/short term rentals in Missouri is collected as sales tax) for each month in 2022.  The amount that I owed was much less than the original notices Missouri sent me.  I assume Missouri received some payment and occupancy information from Airbnb and that's how they knew to even send me the notice. 

Anyway I paid the amount I owed as calculated on my returns and then started working on 2023 taxes to get caught up.  As I started doing that and looking at figures I see that Airbnb has been collecting occupancy taxes from my guests on my behalf.  But none of the tax collected was credited to my tax account with Missouri.  Now I have to figure out where that money went.  Either Airbnb has kept it or it went into some general unassigned account with Missouri or assigned to a different account.  Does anyone have any information on how to get this all straightened out?

I am going through this exact same situation with my STR in Branson and can see that Airbnb has collected the taxes but cannot get any documentation of it to give to Missouri. Did you ever find a solution to this problem? Thank you!