What was the most significant challenge you faced when starting as an Airbnb host?

What was the most significant challenge you faced when starting as an Airbnb host?

Allow me to recount a challenging experience. We once hosted a solo traveler from Ukraine, a woman aged around 45-50. Upon her arrival in a taxi, she appeared disoriented and unwell. We had to assist her to our home, and it became evident she was experiencing heart issues. Complicating matters, she struggled with English, making communication difficult. Despite our concerns, she vehemently opposed calling an ambulance, insisting she would improve.

Feeling uncertain about her condition, we decided to prioritize her well-being and called for medical assistance. Unfortunately, the hospitals were crowded, and we faced an anxious 12-hour wait with her at the hospital. Fortunately, her condition gradually improved, but the ordeal was distressing for me and my family. 

How would you handle a situation like this? Have you ever encountered a similar experience?

16 Replies 16

biggest challenge is houses are too expensive to get into( either a lease or a mortgage). 

and i don’t think any one shall be jumping in as an airbnb hosts nowadays. the return is just not there any more. don’t trust the youtube ***videos. 

most new airbnb hosts get washed out of market within a half year. 

You are right. It's saturated these days!

I was shocked out the fees that are associated with bookings? I think we are losing guests with this cost

For me, it was knowing how much interaction with the guest I should be making. I rent my spare room out on Airbnb so I live on the premises which is great as I can quietly monitor what goes on but awkward as I didn’t know what to expect or what my guest expected. 
I was cooking for myself that evening so offered to cook for them too (which they accepted) & I found chatting over dinner relaxing for both of us. 
I now welcome each guest with a big smile & the offer of a tea or coffee (or depending on the time they arrive) maybe a glass of wine or a beer. That tends to break the ice. 

Andrea6469
Level 2
Wheat Ridge, CO

My biggest problem when starting was letting go of attachment of my home and possessions.  Once you can do that, your hosting will feel so much more natural. So sorry about the Ukranian woman.

Hi Andrea,

I completely relate to your challenge.  We put so much effort, time, consideration and money into purchasing the right home and supplying the desirable amenities and furnishings.  When guests are disrespectful of property, or things go missing it can be very discouraging.  I think time and experience are helpful in “letting go”. 

My first experience as a host was a costly one and it was with a guest that negotiated the rate.  

To limit this exposure I have set my rate a bit higher than others in the surrounding area.  To me, I’d rather forgo some of the wear and tear on property and rent to the more discerning  guest. This has made a difference in attracting guests that appreciate the space and helps me “let go”.

Wishing you success!

Anne

Andrew2309
Level 1
Hawick, United Kingdom

For me, the biggest challenge was to figure out what AirBNB travellers want from their rental. Fortunately now though, I am an experienced Superhost and on my 2nd unit. Things like an online guest guide, with just as much detailed information you put in it, will help a lot. There are 3rd party providers (channel managers) that incorporate guest guides into their offerings. Getting the price right, can be a challenge too, but there are 3rd party providers for those too. Then, making the guest aware of everything like the guest guide, parking, etc. So many travellers don’t even look at the listings and all the details you put in and will ask you the same questions over and over and as a host, I have to fight the urge to say “just look at the online guide” Another challenge is the political environment and cities are getting more strict about short term rentals. The returns are absolutely worth getting into this business, but you first need to check that your city isn’t planning on banning these rentals, restricting them, etc.

@Andrew2309 well said 🙂

Alejandro157
Level 2
Stinson Beach, CA

We have not had a similar experience yet, fortunately.

Our biggest challenge I'd say is the lack of a real security deposit system within Airbnb. In order to have a real deposit that is actually worth something, you have to arrange that directly with the guest, outside of Airbnb. It's a HUGE bummer, and I'm sure Airbnb has had hundreds if not thousands of situations where this issue has come up, because it's so basic and SO intrinsic to renting your property to guests that it's impossible that it wouldn't have come up YEARS ago as an issue, therefore the only thing one can assume, is that Airbnb simply doesn't want to deal with it, thus they offer no real solution in return (and we've had more than 1 situation where the guests caused damages and we were not able to recover, one in particular, an attorney from Germany, even threatened to post that one of his fellow guests "thought" that one of the beds here had bedbugs and that they would report it in their review if we proceeded to request damages from them. I didn't want to run the risk of some **bleep** on Airbnb bad-mouthing and LYING about our home in one of our reviews, ESPECIALLY WITH SOMETHING LIKE BEDBUGS!!! So because of that I was not able to say what I wanted/needed to say about him in our review of him as a guest. This is JUST ONE of the repercussions of Airbnb's COMPLETE FAILURE to address security deposits adequately, because Airbnb DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT YOU OR ME, all Airbnb REALLY CARES ABOUT IS THEIR BOTTOM LINE AND THEIR SHAREHOLDERS.

Blenda2
Level 2
Littleton, CO

That is a most challenging experience. It helps me to think what I might do if faced with that in the future.

My biggest challenge has been all the fees and local and state taxes placed on top of the rental amount for guests.  How does a host continue to cover the time and costs of hosting while keeping the property affordable for guests?  I can see why the statistic Mary quoted (that most hosts wash out in a year and a half) has validity.

Anabela51
Level 2
Rougemont, NC

The very first guest used the property as a business promotion site. People caming in and out, he even had a megaphone to talk to guests. My next door neighbor alerted me of all the noise and traffic. Yikes!

Our biggest challenge initially setting up was anticipating every need the guest would have and managing communication as more reservations came in.  We did our best to set up our first property with bedside USB chargers, keyless entry, information binder, etc.  However, as a guest would ask if we had something different such as a regular sized coffee pot vs. K-cup, we realized if they had this request another guest would likely also.  We now keep special items like a coffee pot, portable fan and additional “extra comfort” items on hand in case someone does have a special request.   We also learned quickly that automating messages was critical for us because we started with multiple units at one location.   Our communication with our guests cuts out time replying to  guest’s questions because we are able to anticipate their questions and send them everything they need to know ahead of time.  By the time they arrive, they know where to find the onsite laundry, beach items, assigned parking space, etc. and that there will be an information binder with local recommendations and additional information. They know exactly what to expect and we’ve anticipated and answered many questions they would have contacted us about.  If we were to summarize, we’ve  learned to invest in the right tools to save us time and give the guest a better overall experience.   Best wishes to fellow hosts! 

Andrea6532
Level 2
Georgetown, KY

That most certainly would be stressful to have a sick or, worse, dying guest. When starting, the significant challenge for me was actually all the work and time it took to get a home ready to my standards. Also, buying the right home if you are buying one is challenging, and buying one that works usually means many necessary repairs to the home. I bought an American Four Square with way more deferred maintenance. This all has to happen before decorating, guest communication, etc. It is, however, worth the extra time and expense.

Cesar938
Level 2
Chopinzinho, Brazil

Well, I'm new to Airbnb, still on the starting path, and haven't had to face yet major issues like this one you described. Though getting aware of troubles people have mentioned here in the replies  sets me cautious; thank you all for that!
To the present point, the sole significant issue I had to deal with was a sort of inertia, powered by the initial uncertainty. Right now, seems to me things are flowing fairly...