How many keys shouldvwe provide?

Answered!
Frances5121
Level 2
Magherafelt, United Kingdom

How many keys shouldvwe provide?

Hi All. I'm very new to this so forgive me if this is a repetitive question. I'm struggling with the app so can't see if it was asked before. 

Do you generally leave one or two keys for 1 particular door? 

I feel the more keys, the more confusion. What do you think ? 

1 Best Answer
Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

When I did keyys, I only gave 1.  Kept the second because people lock keys insider.  Never  fails.  Haha

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

When I did keyys, I only gave 1.  Kept the second because people lock keys insider.  Never  fails.  Haha

One set of keys to doors that Im ok with them opening. Put private stickers on doors that I don't want them to try the keys on (I got sick of people commenting on why the keys didn't work on certain doors)

And i keep a spare hidden on the property that I can talk them through if they lock themselves out.

I'm also limited by the  size of the keybox and they usually can only take 2-3 anyways, so try to make sure the locks use the same key where possible.

Hope this helps

Regs

Mary

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Frances5121 we give one key as standard but always supply a second if requested.

Thanks.  

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Frances5121  Is there any reason you don' t use a key pad lock to eliminate keys entirely?  That's all I have used for 14 years.  We do of course have a back up key on site in a lock box in the event of battery failure. 

Karen
Frances5121
Level 2
Magherafelt, United Kingdom

Hi Karen. That's certainly one for us to look into in the future. 

😊 

David10981
Level 3
Halifax, United Kingdom

Hi. I considered a keypad, struggled to find an option for my UPVC door. It was also difficult to fit an alternative type because of the frame and space required. Of course, like a key safe you do need to change the code each time a guest leaves.

Regards Dave

I'd not even consider letting guests have physical keys. It's much too easy to make a copy and then you have a security problem for future guests. Smart locks have their security concerns, too, but the threat of loose keys out in the wild is too much to think about.

G92
Level 2
Spain

Hi, 

I suited all my locks, all locks have the same key. Less confusion for my guests and less keys for them to carry around.

kind regards, Gordon