All about linen and bedding sets

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

All about linen and bedding sets

Linen.png

Hello everyone,

A topic that we talk about fairly regularly here in the Community Center is around how to manage linens and bed sheets, especially when it comes to providing them, changing them and washing them. We also see hosts ask what colour linen others think are the most welcoming, but also the most managable when used regularly.

There are quite a lot of different solutions that hosts adopt, many of which are based on the type of accomodation you offer, but one of common concerns is around controlling costs. Perhaps you have a plan of how often you change the bedding and replace it, perhaps you have little tips like applying a mattress cover to help prevent ware, perhaps you choose to wash your linen at a certain temperature to make them last longer.

How can you offer an excellent service and keep in budget at the same time? 

Please share your tips on how to manage linens and bed sheets, and get inspired by the solutions suggested by other hosts. Please give a “thumbs up” on your favorite ideas shared by others!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

168 Replies 168

Lizzie I use the same detergent for all airbnb washes. I do not use fabric softeners on sheets as recommended by professional cleaners. So my hunch is the color. Even my vibrant wine colored sheets have not had fade spots. I bought  the green linens from a reputable linen only catalogue company but I am disappointed in their performance. Unfortunately they are a source that sells single pieces not “bedding sets” so I wish the quality had held so I could replace only what I need.

Kailey0
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

We are a cabin with a million beds (just 10 beds but it feels like a million) 

What we do and I find it works amazing is we charge for cleaners. Usually around 2 hours, which is enough for them to clean the sheets with our washer and dryer and put them back on the beds and clean the cabin.We also use any other color but white. Black, dark blue, dark purple. We usually buy our sheets at Walmart or something like that.

We have two sets per bed and have a specific color for each sized bed. 

Example: Purple Sheets - Queen Beds. 

As for blankets I wash them usually every month when I'm up there, I don't have the cleaners doing those. 

Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I love bed linens! I love buying them, cleaning them, folding them, sorting them and storing them. I enjoy making beds too!

I use 100% cotton, long staple (such as Egytian, Pima, or Supima) sheets. I used to give guests a choice of percale (cool & crisp), or flannel (warm & soft), or regular sheets. Guests rarely have a preference, so now I make all the beds with regular sheets.

I prefer all white sheets, but also have some colored sets.  I wash in warm water with a liquid detergent (for senitive skin and with a light fragrance) and oxyclean. I have unscented detergent and hand soap available for guests with chemical sensitivities.  I hang dry all my sheets on large drying racks in my own home and they dry quickly overnight. I don't iron them, but I fold them right away in a tight fold the leaves them with fewer wrinkles. 

I have three sizes... queen, double, single. I store them in a linen cabinet that has shelving labeled with the sizes, but I can tell their sizes by the way they are folded.

Each bed has an encasement, mattress pad, fitted sheet, top sheet, blanket, bedspread (quilt or comforter), and two pillows per person.  Extra blankets and pillows are in the bedroom closet too. Guests have access to the linen cabinet if they need extra sheets or towels during their stay.

Tammy91
Level 5
Missouri City, TX

@Lizzie, I buy my sheets from Sam's. You should be able to buy online. Their sheet sets also offer 4 pillowcases, which is nice if you use 4 pillows on a bed for variety, et... Their sheets, Members Mark Hotel Luxury are about $70 for queen size. The are wrinkle free and have the elastic, thick lining around the bottom of the fitted sheet. They feel wonderful, according to my guests. I use them, as well. They feel nice. I wash them in hot water...no shrinkage and also use the Downy pebble things in the washer. They smell clean, leaving a slight fragrance. I always keep another set available just in case. I use colors depending on decor of room, which I change often. I have a "masculine" room and a "bright" room, which is airy and pretty. If you buy sheets from Sam's or Costo, you can take them back at any time if they rip, they wore out too quick, etc....No questions asked.

I love the sheets from Sam's...waiting for the next sale! (I also love their bath towels!)

Bob-And-Cathy0
Level 2
Colonel Light Gardens, Australia

@Lizzie I use white bamboo cotton blend sheets. They have a luxurious feel and, if hung on the line carefully and folded neatly when dry, don't need ironing. I use the 3 sheet method to make the bed - fitted sheet at the bottom, then flat sheet on top of that, then a winter or summer duvet and lastly  a third flat sheet ( coloured or white) on top. This saves time changing duvet covers. 

@Bob And Cathy,  (Shoot, this list is too long and you're not coming up on the menu)

Where do you get your sheets? 

@Lizzie, has anyone tried flannel sheets?  They are super soft, don't wrinkle...do not have any idea how they would hold up under heavy use.  

I have only used them myself during 'winter' in the past (San Diego... winter is kind of a big joke). 

Best,

Kim
Alex790
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi Guys,

I host in my two bedroom apartment in Bristol and have tried many systems for laundering my bedding and many types of linen and think I have finally found the best solution for me!

When I first started hosting I wanted everything to be very hotel like and proffesional so I bought three sets of 100% white cotton bed linen for each bed thinking that it would look the best and that it would be hard wearing and resillient in a hot wash however I never found this to be true!

I found that quite quickly the linen looked grubby no matter how much I washed it, no matter what detergent I used, what temperature I washed it at or how long a cycle I washed it on I also found it creased terribly and required hours of ironing which every body hates dont they? Worst of all it shrinks and makes the duvet bunch up inside of the cover not only looking un-tidy on the bed but causing the cover to be un-comfortable.

So this was costing me lots of money at the launderette as it was too much to wash and dry at home in my standard washer and dryer and costing me about an hour of my time per set to iron it, I felt like crying when laundry day came around!!

At the end of my tether one day I decided to take all of my linen into Johnsons the cleaners who charge a pretty competitive £23 per large bag of laundry to wash, dry and iron, (you can fit 2 sets in a bag if you fold it well) I quite liked this option at first as the linen looked quite nice having been ironed and folded and it smelt nice and I didnt have to do any of it myself but still it looked a bit grubby and out of shape.

So one day I made the beds in preperation for my guests the next day and they looked hideous, so I thought I must buy some new bed linen even though the sets I had used were only a matter of 3 months old!                

That evening I went to ASDA and found that they have a huge range and I bought some beautiful patterned bed linen sets for £15 each and some bed sheets for £5 each totalling £40 for two sets (I re-used the white cotton pillow cases for the back set of pillows) these new sets are a mix of 52% polyester and 48% cotton (please dont judge me for introducing polyester!) which means no ironing or shrinkage!! The designs and colours are gorgeous and add character to the room and best of all I can afford to replace them every three to four guests if I want as I dont mind laundering them myself saving me on average £46 per week the cost of laundering at Johnsons!

This is my top tip, I hope it helps!

Alex

MaryEllen11
Level 2
United States

Hi All!

We have 2 AirBNB properties in different states. Our goal is to keep a 5 star presence and that means luxury in the areas we host. Sheets can be the tipping point between a 4 star and a 5 star. WE have experimented with suppliers and recently stayed in a 5 * resort that had memorable sheets. WE ordered them and as soon as the guests stayed it was all the rage. 

We prefer white as you can work on stains and brighten sheets more evenly than any colors. We  choose sheets that do not need ironing-as we found the sheets from the hotel supply (Universal)a carry. WE hand press and it is amazing how evenly a tug on the sides of the sheets causes them to lay flat, beautifully. We do iron pillowcases as needed.

We look at hosting as setting a stage, an event for our guests ; a retreat from" real " life and the responsibilities of day to day living. We want our guests to delight in every detail. Sheets can make or break the illusion!

Thanks for your thoughtful ideas. WE gleened many from you all!

Ellen Huntington

Krystal22
Level 2
Anaheim, CA

I have been a co-host since 2016. I personally felt the 200 thread count, white sheets that were being used in the 3 homes were awful. So about 9  months ago, I switched to microfiber sheets. As well as using fitted sheets. The cost is low at $6 a sheet. Not only do they feel soft, they also look great! I have matching pillow cases to go with them.  I cut my loads of laundry down drastically due to the thin and light weight material, the storage space is minimal and makes it much easier to manage. (I feel like I sound like a commercial lol.)

@Krystal22, I think we ALL want to know!  What is your source??  (For goodness sake, DO the COMMERCIAL!)

Best,

Kim

Buy them on Amazon:)

I'm new to hosting, haven't had a booking yet so this thread is fascinating.

I did notice some microfibre bedding but I decided against mainly because I'd feel distressed for adding still more synthetic "non-food" into the rivers and sea where its being eaten and returned to us to eat in fish. The recent documentary by David Attenborough showing the state of our oceans shocked and scares me. 

Also I believe that our bodies need to breathe and that natural fibres are healthier than synthetics. I find some synthetics, mainly polyester, make my skin itch. 

So it's an interesting start to my hosting journey! 

I use microfiber, and I feel the quality is far better then thread count sheets. Plus they take less space in storing and washing. 

Microfiber doesn't work in hot dry climate (Arizona) sheets get very static-clingy and just arent as cool and comfortable (breathable) as cotton.