All about linen and bedding sets

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

All about linen and bedding sets

Linen.png

Hello everyone,

A topic that we talk about fairly regularly here in the Community Center is around how to manage linens and bed sheets, especially when it comes to providing them, changing them and washing them. We also see hosts ask what colour linen others think are the most welcoming, but also the most managable when used regularly.

There are quite a lot of different solutions that hosts adopt, many of which are based on the type of accomodation you offer, but one of common concerns is around controlling costs. Perhaps you have a plan of how often you change the bedding and replace it, perhaps you have little tips like applying a mattress cover to help prevent ware, perhaps you choose to wash your linen at a certain temperature to make them last longer.

How can you offer an excellent service and keep in budget at the same time? 

Please share your tips on how to manage linens and bed sheets, and get inspired by the solutions suggested by other hosts. Please give a “thumbs up” on your favorite ideas shared by others!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

168 Replies 168
Lynne2
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

It is important to mention that many people (myself included) have an acute sensitivity to perfumes.  Accommodation that uses fabric softeners, air fresheners, strong smelling detergents, are literally too toxic for me to tolerate.  I am particularly allergic, but it can make a visit unpleasant.

Himal0
Level 2
Kathmandu, Nepal

What i usually do to prevent white sheets from getting dusty is, cover it with regular cloth and whenever guest arrives for the stay we immediately take the cover out to and do little dusting to give the clean look finally. Short and easy way to make it work i guess.

I just have a couple of sets of microfiber Wal-Mart sheet sets. They're soft and don't wrinkle. Most of them are dark. I wash and dry them hot to keep them clean. After 100+ washes they're still good.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

These sound like good sheets @Jessica384. 🙂 As they don't wrinkle, do you find there is no need to iron them? 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Never ironed them. Just wash, dry, fold, put away. Cheap sets too. Less than $20. I have a few sets in case they wear out. Mostly dark colors, but the one white/gray patterned set is still spot free.

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

Hi everyone, in case anyone in the US is looking for sheets of good quality at a very decent price, Target is having a sale which ends today - their Threshold sheets (400 count, all cotton) are as low as $21 per set for twin.  The sale will end soon... Just FYI, not shilling for Target, but always looking for a bargain!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Nice tip @Susie5. Have you taken taken full advantage of the sale and got some good bargins?

--------------------

@Lizzie, oh yes indeed!! they are very nice sheets (I had bought a set in the store and when the sale came on, I jumped at it!  🙂

Anita83
Level 4
Balt, MD

@Lizzie  Hi Lizzie!  Since we are on the topic of linens, I was wondering if anyone in the Airbnb community is monitoring the other threads conserning the change of "esentials" which will require all hosts to provide linens.  The threads are filled with thousands of hosts with listings in beach towns, yurts, glamping, etc, that are unable to provide linens.  This change will force them to leave Airbnb.  For me personally, this will effect three of my listings in Ocean City, MD.  It is a beach town which traditionally does not supply linens in its rentals.  There is no reliable linen service available and most units do not have washers & dryers.  Because these are seasonal properties, most owners live remotely and are inable to handle this themselves.  It has been this way since my mother was a child and people are hapy to bring their own "essentials".  If you read the other threads, I am very much not alone in this situation.  Many people have voiced concerns and are already listing their properties on other sites in preparation of the change.  I love Airbnb and I do not want to go back to the sites I have previously worked with.  Is there anyone that can take a look at the threads and possibly offer a solution?  I think a lot of the frustration of the owners on the thread is that they can not get anyone from Airbnb to offer a reason for the change or any assistance in a solution.  Thank you for any help and insight you are able to provide 🙂

Esther177
Level 2
Rupperswil, Switzerland

Hi there, I was wondering how you handle linen and towel service for guests staying longer than 7 days. I am renting a fully independent flat in my house and actually do not want to disturb my guests and fully respect their privacy. Thus, I do not enter the flat for cleaning or replacing the bed sheets, but I provide a laundry basket with fresh bath and kitchen towels and bed sheets once a week by placing it on the doorstep. The flat is equipped with all cleaning utensils necessary, I charge a moderate fee for final cleaning. What is your opinion on this? Would you expect your host to provide full service like in a hotel? Or do you feel the way I do it is acceptable?

As long as you make it clear to the guests it should be ok. We offer free once a week cleaning for guests who stay 10 days plus. We have many units so if they prefer only swapping out sheets then we can do that by dropping the set off and picking up the dirty sets at the same time so we always maintain accurate count of inventory. We do have a charge for those who want cleaning more often.  If you are able to leave extra linnens in the unit that is always great for the guest expereince. 

Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Hi all!

I know this thread is old(ish) but it's been bumped up, so I had a read through and I just want to give a shout out to the lower end of the bedding scale -yes im cheap- but so is my listing!  🙂

I know you will all be screaming at this but.... Wilko's basics, the cheapest white (ivory or cream or someoff white colour) sheets I could find. Shock horror. Controversial but at £8 for a SET, it kind of solves the issue of what to do if its covered in random guest leaving's. Just throw it out. no pain, no hassel. And to be honest in the wash so far it's not been an issue to get mascara/make-up/ food out.

Yes I have a great mattress (so good Ibought another the same for me on my own bed) and the duvet is a nice quality Next Duvet (mid range decent quality clothes and home store for those outside the UK- not cheap, not luxury)

But for bedding, as long as its clean and the bed is comfy I really don't think the guest will mind. (I get quite a few guests comment on my bed being comfy, and people have asked me for details on where to buy the mattress, so I really don't think the cheap sheets matter!)

My tip, for my cheap stuff- tuck in the duvet under the mattress to smooth out the big creases, spray a little mist/water on the bed after if you want to loose a few more, and save yourself the time and money without the iron and accept your listing is amazing without the £££ bed linen.

If that's what a guest is really wound up about, they can stay in the Hilton. I'm cheaper, friendlier, and my quilt will continue to have a few creases.

xx all

pic smaller.jpg

Ginger26
Level 2
Pasadena, CA

Keep a spray bottle of water handy.

I have never ironed sheets.  I no longer put them in the dryer. They are much softer air dried, and they last longer too. Dryers bake in any missed food, goo, or blood. Dryers super heat the fibers and wrinkle everything. Don't use sofeners because they have ingredients that are carcinogenic. Sheets that are air-dried don't need them. 

Best to use detergents with hypoallergenic qualities and no fragrance, since one doesn't know whether guests might be allergic to perfumes, etc.

I hang sheets on "octopus-type hangers" from IKEA from my backporch, tippytoes up to hook rings on outdoor roof rafters (1909 house with low hanging eves). If one gently pulls on and stretches seam edges while damp, the wrinkling and creases come out of them as they dry. Stretch pillowcases diagonally as well. Pull the top sheet's front face seam in the same way, and hang to dry. Southern California sunlight is super!  Indoors works too. The hangers can be brought inside at dusk and hung from shower curtain or loft bed framing to finish drying. We can always use the humidity inside. 

Folding sheets after drying is key to not having to use an iron. (Or don't fold them...use them on the bed right away...)  If you must fold, start with the top sheet's front margin and keep it flat, fold facing itself and smooth out the creases as you fold smaller. The stored folded sheet busts it's own wrinkles over time. 

When making the bed, if the top sheet, (while turning it down over the blanket), is wrinkled (usually due to your folding process - hey, it's a work of art!...or due to your dryer...), use a spray bottle of water to smooth the top sheet margin, or pillowcase edge. It'll usually dry just fine before the next guest arrives. I'd rather plug in a hair dryer than an iron, when in a hurry. 

This drying method works with your clothes too. Hang a wet shirt, for example, pull on and stretch the arms to smooth and "size" it, same with collar, front placard and seams. 

Supply facial wipes for guests so that everyone is encouraged to use them. That's much easier for tired guests than using a washcloth. 

Elisabeth326
Level 1
Imperial Beach, CA

How often do you wash blankets?  Have you found blankets that can be washed and dried on hot?  If so, what kind did you find?

I have been searching and searching and can only find blankets and coverlets that are supposed to be washed on cold and dried on delicate cycle.  That doesn't seem sanitary for an airbnb.

I’m using Sanitol for textiles to desinfect pillows, blankets. And every time when it is possible I hang them to ventilate and to enjoy x-rays.