Any tips for doing own cleaning?

Pippa64
Level 1
Cary, NC

Any tips for doing own cleaning?

Hi hosts! 
I’m considering running an air bnb close to where I live in North Carolina. Currently for other homes I have not cleaned the home myself. 
considering trying to do the clean as I’m local to this particular property . 
Any advice? Any tips? 
it’s only a small home of 1000 sq foot with one bathroom ….. also if anyone has any idea on cleaning and laundry costs for a home this size I’m all ears as I will need back up cleaners anyway 🙂 

thank you 

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

This is an international Community so we are unlikely to know cleaning costs in your area I'm afraid but I'm sure some local cleaning companies can provide a quote @Pippa64 

Personally as I work full time alongside other commitments I don't have either the time or inclination to clean my listing. Quite frankly cleaners do a much better job and are much quicker than I would be 

if you want to clean yourself have a checklist of tasks for each room that you do every clean and others you might say so every few weeks or every month 

Thanks Helen . Yes I’ve not cleaned my own places before but just trying to keep my outgoings down a bit 🙂 thank you 

Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Pippa64 , I clean our own unit. It’s small and we only have one. But when it comes to cleaning, I clean it as if I’m the paying guest. Clutter free, nice white crisp bedding (sheets, pillowcases pressed) but most importantly…Clean Overall. Cleanliness goes a long way. I don’t do back to back bookings so I’m in no rush to get the unit turned over for the next guest(s). 

Best—

Rachel2990
Level 1
Orlando, FL

So @Pippa64 if you're not a cleaner "type" person-- you don't currently clean your home or you only hire cleaners in your other Airbnb, please don't add a task to your life that isn't a specialty or particularly easy for you.

Businesses and individuals who clean regularly (hourly, daily, weekly, etc.) inherently, and through experience, know what's acceptable in a good thorough clean and what's not. 

Always delegate, what you can, to others. Do you want to be self employed or do you want a business that can run without you?

Once you answer those questions, for yourself, you'll know what to do. Best of luck from a 10+year Super Host, @GetRachelRay 

Rose2561
Level 1
Aurora, CO

I have a small place at the beach that I don’t charge much for. It’s a 40x20ft container home. I have opted to clean myself since I don’t charge a lot and don’t want to give all my money to cleaning. I make sure I keep an open day after someone leaves. This is crucial for your sanity. 😂 Make sure you check places you wouldn’t think to look. I found a dirty spoon in the silverware drawer under other spoons and things left under the couch, bed etc. definitely do a check list. If you are systematic and quick, you can save money. 

Sharon1949
Level 1
Fort Lauderdale, FL

clean it away and charge for cleaning so they do not make a mess

be ready asap for next guest