Are there any WIFI enabled external key lock box (with key pad to unlock)?

Answered!
Matthew---Stay-Central0
Level 2
Bridgend, United Kingdom

Are there any WIFI enabled external key lock box (with key pad to unlock)?

Are there any recommended key lock boxes that you can mount securely to a brick wall that can link to your WIFI to allow remote change of the key box code so that you can change codes after each guest has left remotely? 

1 Best Answer
Spirit9
Level 2
New York, NY

First choice is always the Schlage Encode hardware on your door. The app works perfectly remotely and syncs with Airbnb to generate and send unique codes to each booking with 3p app RemoteLock. 

Second choice is the ONLY wifi remote access  lockbox I know of -  the one from LOQRON on Amazon. You have to plug in a little gateway device but once you do, you can actually open the box yourself from anywhere in the world. When I see a delivery person on the ring camera, instead of telling them the code to open the box. I open it for them and watch them put the package inside and key back in the box. Now they don’t have to have a code or figure out how to enter it.  You can also generate new codes from anywhere and they’ll update the box.  Bluetooth is pointless. I need a lockbox I can control when I’m NOT in Bluetooth range, duh.    

IMG_2401.jpeg

View Best Answer in original post

49 Replies 49
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sulay0 @Susan869 @Ryan357

Look Ryan, technology sometimes gets in the way of progress!!! You are spot on about Bluetooth...you might just as well do it and change the code by hand!

Last year I installed an 'August Smartlock'....not because I really needed too but, I tinkered with the idea of joining the 'Select' program which had 'self check-in' as a requirement, and August Smartlock was compatible with the Airbnb software!

To be honest it was a disaster...the travelling couple were travelling with a different phone to the one that the passcode was sent too.....the passcode for some other reason did not come through, sometimes it was an Airbnb issue, sometimes a celular issue, I do not need to have problems I can't control, so, I got rid of it.

I have now gone back to the illuminated Keybox and this works wonderfully....It is a Masterlock, also available at Bunnings in Australia......

IMG20180307131334.jpg

IMG20180308201510 b.jpg

The keycode is on the reservation receipt, and if not, I can txt it in an instant to any phone, not just an Airbnb registered one in the unlikely event I will not be available to assist.

I have never had the need to worry about a guest who has checked out needing to require entry unanounced back into the property....and to be honest if the property is to be serviced between guests that would seem like a good time to change the code!!

Wifi and Bluetooth are great but, in reality, nothing beats having a key in your hand.

Cheers......Rob

That is the same technology as the Escout keylock box. Same feautures. I can also choose to use it with a manual pin and send the code via text. Also, the pin can be change remotely and instantly by owner with a desktop, smartphone, otr tablet, all entey activity is recorded! And Escout cost less! Check it out! 

Sally261
Level 2
New York, NY

I use an electronic keylock box same as used by the real estate indistry, it is an innexpensive solution with no instalation and still safe as a lock. Have a look here escout.

Unfortunately the remote pin change for Escout product is not in effect until somebody with a smartphone (that has this new pin sent remotely) shows up near the box and establishes the bluetooth connection.  Until then the "old" pin is still valid and can be reused.    

Chris1015
Level 2
Santa Rosa, CA

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised there aren't more good options. The igloo option is fine, but I wanted to put a garage door opener in the Box along with a key. Many of the options seem to rely on Bluetooth. Not sure why the concept of remote programming of codes that change on a regular basis is so foreign. Seems like a great product to develop and market.

Chris332
Level 2
Antwerp, Belgium

I have used igloohome keybox with over a few hunderd guests on my airbnb property right now. The concept is great but in practice getting guests arranged to use bluetooth log-in is very cubersome and depends on their tech-swavy nature - which is actually a minority of the population - even with milleniums. Dropped this option very quickly. 

The keypad is actually the best and most practical options although be aware that about 5% of the guests have issues using it i.e. it does not respond immidiatly and the way it provides feedback to unsuccfull entries is not existing. This would be an area that could / should be imrpved towards customer experience and usability.  This beaing said, these 5% guests have the reflection to call me but the only mitigation I have is to jump in my care and provide a key manually - it would be great if a feature would be added to the product that the host can unlock via the app remotly; This latter is a reason for me to start searching to a Wi-Fi enabled box which would 

Ali241
Level 1
Reading, United Kingdom

Hi Chris, can you please guide which company 'keypad' you are using? Where to get one in UK? Thanks, Ali

Take a look at eyeconlock.com.

Their key lock box can link to an existing WiFi and codes can be changed remotely.

Eyecon product looks interesting but there are two key questions for battery powered WiFi enabled lock boxes that should be asked/answered:

1. Is there a delay between a moment when the code needs to be changed remotely via WiFi and the moment when the code is actually changed? What is it? 1 min? 1 hour? 1 day?  

2. How many WiFi remote code changing cycles can be handled by the batteries (4xAA) before replacement is needed?

Answers are important to really understand the product value

Don't waste your money on this product. Is doesn't work.

1. They say 20 second delay but that is dependent on if you can get the box to connect to your wifi while it is outside. I could not get mine to connect when it was right next to the router. This was after several tech support calls. It connected once and then never again.

2. I wasn't able to use the box long enough to judge battery life. 

They advertise their "login with a picture" feature but fail to tell you that it doesn't work unless you took the picture youself. You cannot take a picture and text or email it to someone, it will not work because of compression (duh). Totally useless technology that probably inflates the price of this garbage.

Also when I bought the box initially I couldn't even access the website to manage it remotely. It was down for several days. When I called tech support they were aware of it but did not seem concerned. I think if you rely on something like this to give access to people remotely, you will regret it. 

Hi, I am also looking for a smart lock box, however most of the products mentioned here have very mixed reviews.

I know that Yale have a product called Yale Doorman which is a smart lock rather than lock box. The lock is connected to the internet and this allows the door to be opened remotely via the mobile phone app. as well as creating pin's to provide to the guests.  I know that this device works very well and if only Yale would use the same technology for a smart lock box, I am sure they would be onto a winning product.

Has anyone found a product they are happy with?

@Andrew681, we use a Schlage touchscreen and it has worked very well for us. It's very nice to assign unique codes to each guest, u and the clearners and be able to see on our phones when someone comes and goes. 

Mp4
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Where can I buy that Schlage touchscreen?

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I have the MasterLock Lock Box Electronic Wall Mount Key Safe.  It's a solid product that works well at least 99% of the time.  The only issues I had were with guests who either didn't have bluetooth enabled on their phones or had added a day to the reservation (after which I forgot to extend their access).  The app is not the most intuitive app out there, and it annoyingly sends 3 text messages for every single action - someone opens the box, someone closes the box, someone locks the box - no matter how much you try to limit notifications.  Here is the product on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NQ9G3Q/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been researching the Igloo Home Keybox 2.  It seems ideal because it is supposed to connect with your Airbnb calendar and automatically generate unique pin codes for each guest, granting access for the reservation dates.  It claims to use something called Airbnb Connect.  I looked into this and discovered that it is in beta now, but when it moves out of beta, it will cost $4.99 per lock per month.

I would love to find a lock box as solid as the Master Lock with a better app.  My doors can't accept the August Smart Lock, more's the pity!

Best,

Ann

How does the Masterlock option send texts when they have no wifi connectivity in this device?