Are you planning to spruce up your space in 2020?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Are you planning to spruce up your space in 2020?

29d6431c_original.jpg

Hello everyone,

As we approach the end of the year (aw, I can’t believe I’m saying that), it’s pretty common to look ahead and think about plans for the upcoming year. Many people like to make new year resolutions, but when it comes to hosting, this can often signal a time to refresh your home. Some new guest towels perhaps or a new coat of paint in the bathroom or something bigger like that garden shed you have had your eye on! 

What are your plans for sprucing up your listing in 2020? 

We'd love to hear your input for an upcoming article. Thank you! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

121 Replies 121

@Beth44  Really good ideas. I built my house from scratch and designed it myself, and one of my big criteria was ease of cleaning (and Airbnb wasn't even on my radar then). Smooth surfaces, tiled floors with tile baseboards, no fussy details or furniture. My guest room has a built-in concrete counter/desk, and the only furniture in there is the bed (a simple wooden frame with straight legs) a wooden chair with a chair pad with removable, washable cover, and a couple of nesting, teak bedside tables. Those are a pain to dust, as they have cut-out designs, but they're so pretty and cute 🙂 All the furniture has felt pads under the legs, so even the single bed there can be easily slid around on the tile floors when cleaning. The curtains are held to the rod with metal clip rings, so they are quick and easy to take down and put back if they need a wash. Bathroom countertop is smooth cement, so no grout to clean and I made sure the construction crew left enough space behind the sink that there is adequate space to get a cloth behind and in front of the tap set instead of some tiny space where toothpaste and soap accumulates.

Great detailed planning. Did I meet u at airbnb gathering at la?

@Beth44  Nope, I've only driven past LA on the I-5 and had to change planes at the airport there a couple of times:-) I've never been to a host meet-up or gathering.

Diego754
Level 1
Lawrence, KS

I will build a parking place and a new terrace so the guest will enjoy the beautiful view to the mountains!

Ramona57
Level 2
Minnesota, United States

In prep for its third season I'm updating the bedroom in one listing, mostly decor changes.  Great new larger lamps and shades (animal print in blues) for bedside tables, colors of accessories changing from yellow and green to yellow and hues of blue (walls, floor and bedding covers are light desert sand hues).  I bought new blue throws and wall art with yellow/blue to go with some blue and blue 'n white ceramic pieces I have.  Also painting a dark cedar chest in chalk off-white to match head of bed.  Having fun planning/shopping and excited to start making the changes after a thorough wash/clean of all room surfaces, curtains, bedding, etc.

We are buying a beautiful ancient house which needs some hard work and nice maintenance:) We are planning to have two listings in near future by a studio and a big nice room with its bathroom. So, actually it’ll be a big change than a “spruce up”.

Happy listings guys,

A view from our street.A view from our street.

Jacqui16
Level 2
Worcester, United Kingdom

It already looks lovely. 

Jacqui16
Level 2
Worcester, United Kingdom

I am planning to improve my bathroom by repainting, replacing some of the fittings on the appliances and investing in a quieter shower. I try to make sure  my bed linen and towels are all the nicest they can be and I will probably repaint the bedroom and brighten up the desk in the bedroom. I do my own decorating which if you don’t let get too run down is easier to upgrade. Costs are minimal although this year the bathroom will need a professional on the fittings and shower but this is first time in a few years and it will benefit me as well as I live at my property. Invested in some professional photos earlier this year. It was worth it. Bookings went up, 

Alia18
Level 3
Kailua-Kona, HI

I constantly HAVE to renovate, replace and repair. Living one mile from the beach in Hawaii. The TV stopped working. Only few months old. Three. Ceiling fans light strings all froze. The bathroom vent fan/ light quit working.  Put Shelter over outdoor washer / dryer. Added new window blinds. New waterproof Pergo floors in bathroom and kitchen. Added doors and deck in master bedrooms. They now have outside entrances. Added outdoor low voltage lighting. Added solar security lights. Repainted decks. Stairs. Does it ever stop????

@Alia18  Tell me about it. I don't have all the listings you have, just a private room in my home, but the maintenance in the tropics is brutal. The humidity destroys so much. I have to keep all my TV and DVD remotes, and other small electronics, as well as extra batteries in a Tupperware box with a tight fitting lid and some moisture absorbing beads or they quickly cease to function properly. Outside of house and outdoor walkways have to have the mold powerwashed off a few times a year. Open out the curtains and find some insect cocoon stuck to them. And in the dry season, everything gets quickly covered in dust. It is truly endless.

Oh no! The remotes will cease to function next?!?!??

yes. It’s ceiling and bathroom vent fan/ light .. four this week. Plus. Good thing has the warranty on the $1900.00 tv. Got the money. Bought 460.00 tv. Ten inches bigger. Cheaper one!

hmmmm yes. There’s mold on my lava walkway. Paint is constant!

@Alia18  My house construction is cement and I had lived in this area as a renter for years before I bought a lot and had my house built. So I'd gotten a pretty good idea of what I wanted and didn't want. I had my builders mix some powdered cement color into the final plaster coat on the outside of the house instead of painting it, and I used a color that is the color of the dirt here, so it never looks dirty (except for the before-mentioned mold) and I never have to repaint. I love the palm frond palapa roofs as far as how they look and feel, but I didn't want any, as they have to be sprayed with poison to kill the bugs that like to live in them at least once a year and they need to be totally replaced once every 7-10 years, and they aren't cheap.

The interior paint has held up fine for the 11 years I've lived here, as I was diligent about the prep and painting- a coat of sealer and 2 coats of quality pant. But I have to wash them fairly frequently to get rid of the gecko-bug war blood 🙂

And while other people's expensive DVD players give up the ghost after a few years, I bought a super cheapo model that cost about $15 and it's still working after 10 years! The remotes started doing wierd things- rewinding when I pressed play, muting when I pressed fast forward. That's when I had the bright idea of drying them out with the humidity absorbers in the Tupperware box and was amazed when I took them out a day later and they worked perfectly again. So now they just live in there when they're not being used.

When I lived in Canada I would do a deep clean of the whole 4 bedroom house once a year. Here in Mexico I have a much smaller 2 bedroom place and if I don't do a deep clean at least once every 2 months, I'm likely to find an ant nest with hundreds of eggs in a little-used drawer or behind a picture frame. 

@Alia18 

try a silicon coating to prevent rust or enamel coating as long it does not block the rotation of the mechanism.. usually a 2 weeks small easy maintenance save money more than to replace, since we need to perform on top of things.. WD-60 was a life saver for me

do the greasing and the small spray stuff, my villa is in Bali, same problem, different solution, is cheaper than to call some one to fix it.. tv rust, air-con room only.. get the salt of the metal.. might help.. 

Jeffrey Bong

@Manasui0  Absolutely- you have to practice preventive maintenance in the tropics. I spray metal things with a silicone spray as well. I replaced the toilet flapper chain with a piece of nylon cord. Oil hinges on a regular basis.

@Sarah977 

The small tiny things that makes the different.. I call it making money !!! this is where the real money comes in...

Jeffrey Bong