Balancing historic property with gentrified mass produced conveniences... How?

Dmitrii25
Level 1
Dunmore, WV

Balancing historic property with gentrified mass produced conveniences... How?

Heya, I bought during pandemic Pre-Civil war farmhouse in West Virginia. I live there part time (summers) doing as much improvements as I can, and winter time it's on Airbnb, thanks to nearby ski resort. This is not my first renovation project, but first of its kind - the house has so much character and history, that every design or improvement decision becomes painful. How do one can maintain beauty of the past, without going after wayfair, allenroth, amazon simple solution for any need you have? Don't get me wrong, I love spending time in antique shops and finding treasures. I bought some furniture from Amish shops (i mean, really, really, really expensive). What's the formula of successful combo in this case? 50/50? 70/30? None of the above?

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Dmitrii25 we are lucky in the UK that we have lots of  auctions selling furniture and fittings from the 1700s onward. Prices are ridiculously cheap with large dining tables and chairs only costing £150 or less, Wardrobes are similarly cheap.

You can utilize fb marketplace. 
i focused on wallpaper, crown molding , light fixtures and lamps. Bedframes are super expensive . 
i creating a wall with images of the neighborhood in the past, images of past owners, copy of historic designation,…

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Dmitrii25,

What a great topic to discuss! I'm a secondhand shop, thrifty kind of gal, so my home is generally a reflection of what I want my space to feel like. Although I'm not a Host, I think it's important that it fits in with the building, area and your budget! 

@Hitomi3@Roberto2387 & @Marissa182 - just tagging you here to see if you'd like to join the conversation? 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hello, im.an antique dealer and thinking about buying a historic home in Virginia built in 1775? Will I have any problem getting insurance because of its age?

Thanks !

@Stacey533 Why would you ask that question here?

because it's a community of people helping people and she felt like the poster might have experience with that. 

Why would you care? It's a small thread ,it didn't dilute it.

Christie29
Level 3
Sarasota, FL

I was a late adopter of FaceBook Marketplace but have been using it now for everything for my AirBnBs. My house is an original build 1920 and I kept one apartment the original construction, so it's kind of bungalow flavor. The other was an add-on and is pretty void of architectural character, but I've chosen to decorate mcm. I get everything, ev rey thing there. It's just local listings who either have estate pieces from family members who've passed away and they are clearing the house.  Or local artists who have uniquely original pieces. Or people who have had the same "gently used furniture" (I don't know what that means hahaha) for 5 years and are selling it because they want a change. I've gotten original Natuzzi leather modern furniture for pennies on the dollar that you'd find on Design Within Reach for thousands. These are people in your community with reviews from other buyers, not consignment (some consignment sneaks in) many times are willing to deliver.... I've bought palm trees installed for cheap. Huge Birds of Paradise installed for cheap. I've gotten rid of 2 yards of white rocks that I didn't know how I'd get off my property simply by advertising "free, bring shovel" It's a beautiful thing. People don't have to pay the $2,000 I originally did to buy them and have them delivered and I don't have to pay another $2,000 to rent a back hoe, labor, and a truck to take them to the landfill. 

Check it out!

By the way, I get original Mid Century pieces for less than the mass produced, poor quality ones. I've gotten Eames. And I buy a lot of "farmhouse" style for my 20's bungalow and everything is unique and charming. If you think of it, let me know what you think. Tip, change location to "local" and set a parameter of like 20 miles so youre not running around the state!