Bathroom Remodel - Ditching a Tub for a Shower?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Bathroom Remodel - Ditching a Tub for a Shower?

Hello all! We are going to be remodelling the bathroom in our primary Airbnb space in March, and we are thinking of getting rid of the bathtub and replacing it with a walk-in shower only. Have you done this, or do you have an Airbnb apartment that only has a shower? I've stayed in them, and I personally like it. Our bathtub is nothing to write home about, and we don't really get many families staying, so I don't think it's ever used as a tub. Most of our guests are adults who are visitng the area for winery tours or weddings. Our secondary Airbnb also has a walk-in shower, but there are two bathrooms and the other one has a tub so it's less of a concern.

I'd love any feedback: is this a bad idea? Is this a good idea? Would it put you off staying with us?

Here are a couple of pics to give an idea of what it's like now.

Bathroom.jpgBathroom 2.jpg

73 Replies 73
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

One reason not to listen to me is the sheer rusticity of my listing, @Alexandra316, but I do travel a great deal, mostly for work, and sometimes in your area: Ancaster just last week, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Grimsby. I am delighted when I find a bathtub in an accommodation, since my work is often done in freezing conditions, and warming up in a bath feels like luxury. Especially those with the rail and shower curtain (advantage: harder to damage?) rather than the sliding door.  However, showers are the usual thing and not off-putting at all. Do you have the budget and space to do something cool? Frameless? Jets? Walk-in?

Here we have an indoor clawfoot tub with curtain rail, and an April-to-October outdoor shower. Re the latter: nothing for guests to damage, super easy to clean, but you need a few acres and tall grass for privacy 🙂

shower_at_house.JPG

@Lawrene0 I love your place! We're going to try and make it out for a visit later in the summer.

It would be nice to do something a bit more interesting with our shower space. As I mentioned above, we could actually expand the bathroom area, so I'm going to look into that. A freestanding tub plus a walk-in shower would be pretty great.

I love outdoor showers, but that's definitely not going to work in Vineland, unless people want to scare the neighbours! 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

In Mexico, bathtubs are few and far between, not usual in this culture. I have showers, no bathtubs. As a guest, I think I'd be more inclined to shower rather than get in a bathtub- it just seems more hygenic in a rental, unless it was that gorgeous bathtub at Huma's place, which I'd not be able to resist.

That said, one of the first things I do when I go back to Canada in the summer is have a nice long hot bath with some Epsom salts and some good smelling oils.

@Sarah977 I didn't realize you were a fellow Canadian!

I'm with you regarding using bathtubs in rentals and hotels; it does seem more hygenic to use the shower.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah 

Thank you! Most guests do drool a bit when they see my free standing tub, but like at @Alice-and-Jeff0's place, only a handful have ever used it. Also, despite what @David said, the majority who have used it (I think with only one exception) were American. American guests seem to like a bath more than Europeans! I hardly ever use the bath myself.

@Alexandra316

If you can knock through that wall and have both walk in shower and bath within your budget, then go for it. Here's one layout that fits both into a relatively small space:

elegant bath and monogram towels

You can also find compact, but deep, freestanding baths like this one. 

Love the tiny, tall tub for eventual master bath
Or, for something more contemporary looking, a Japanese style soaking tub. A friend of mine managed to fit one of those and a walk in shower in a very, very small bathroom.
41" Siglo Round Japanese Soaking Tub - Japanese Soaking Tubs - Bathtubs…Or, what's under the floor? Is there any scope for a sunken bath with a shower above it? Here's a clever idea:
Great solution to a bath shower. Australian Houses Awards 2014 #stylecuratorau

If none of these are an option, I would say go for the shower. If you are not attracting the family market, the vast majority of your guests will appreciate a great walk in more. Sure a soak in the tub is nice, but it's a luxury. A good shower is a must. Many five star hotels don't have baths these days, but they all have showers.

I've tried to go for the best showers I could within my budget. One of them has a 30cm (think that's 12 inch) shower head. Another has 'shower bars' i.e, vertical bars with tiny jets all down them. You do need very good water pressure for that kind of thing though, or it's a waste of money.

I collated an insane amount of images recently when researching for my new bathrooms. Please feel free to take a browse if you're in need of inspiration:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/londonstylist/wetroom/

@Huma0, Ohmigoodness, you totally ROCK!

I actually never cared for baths until I moved for Paris for a time (work)--I got hooked!, and then hubby got me the most amazing free-standing bath tub... nice and deep, long, and just lovely.

One of the tricks with free-standing tubs is cleaning around and under them.  Also, even for my shower/tub (all one deal), I installed a grab-bar so that someone getting out of a slippery? tub won't fall!

Best,

Kim
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kimberly54

Thank you!

Yes, you have to clean the outside of the bath too, something my previous cleaners never seemed to understand! When I took over the cleaning myself, I was truly disgusted the first time I ran a cloth over the outside. The inside was always spotless...

Wow, @Huma0, some stunning options there. I love that last one, but I bet that I would be the first person to forget the size of the wooden platform and fall backwards into the tub and cause myself some kind of head injury. A sunken tub would be difficult, because the foundation of the house is directly under the tub.

I think that Japanese tub might work pretty well. I will take a look and see if I can find anything similar for sale here. It's really pretty.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alexandra316

I can see how that would be a health hazard! Actually, I believe the shower deck goes across the whole bath but they've lifted one section of it out so you can see the bath in the photo (the section is leaning against the wall).

Most people won't be able to sink a bath into the floor I guess. I had a friend at school whose parents had one in a very old Georgian house. They were very wealthy though so who knows what feats of engineering that took.

My main issue with this kind of set up is that I can imagine the bath would get very grubby with people showering above it. Could cause all kinds of extra cleaning strife!

@Huma0 Yes, you're right: I missed that. It is beautiful. It would probably be easier to do it in our house than in a period house: it would just involve a jackhammer and some extra concrete.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I think you're making the right decision to go with a walk in shower, @Alexandra. We remodeled last summer and added one to our tiny bathroom. For me, they are much more appealing and easier to clean. I think tubs with showers are now kind of old school. I’ve had a few older guests comment on great accessibility of the shower as well.

Yes, @Emilia42, another good point. I've had several guests stay because my place is accessible for people who can't climb stairs. A walk-in shower is definitely better for those people also.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia0

I think you are right, they are quite old school. The exceptions have been some really stunning free standing baths with shower heads in the ceiling above. They can look really contemporary and cool. Not sue how you stop the water getting everywhere though. A shower curtain would kind of ruin the effect!

7 Amazing Bathrooms With Freestanding Bathtubs

@Alexandra316 - we also have a tub/shower combo in our guest bath.  When we first set up, I bought bath salts and a unpacked the bathtub tray so people could put their phones or tablets on it.  In the 3 years we've been hosting, we've had exactly 4 people take baths in over 300 reservations and about 450 guests. 

Personally, unless it will lessen the ability to resell the property - because one day in the future you are going to have to sell it - I think you could put in a shower only.  Also consider if the cost of putting in the new pan and drain, plus tiling and replumbing will be reclaimed on the property income.  Then, of course, there will be the new shower door and shower head costs, but I'm sure you've got all those details covered. Just putting in a fresh and more modern surround will likely be the cheapest option of course but perhaps not the aesthetic you want. 

If you want to come back to the forums and ask me about fixtures, colors, design details, and such - or if you want to start a Pinterest page to collaboratively help you remodel -  I'd totally be into giving you my opinion on your bathroom remodel!  LOL.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0 Thanks! I'm not so great with that kind of thing, so I will do that. I will start a board and shoot you a message so you can check it out.

I was thinking of using one of the premade bases, then tiling the walls. Yes, I was planning on a glass shower door. I actually can't use one of the premade enclosures because the space has a non-standard height. It has to be custom.