Before and after pics

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Before and after pics

I'm an enthusiastic interiors buff and renovating my house has been a long-term labour of love and, I realise now, will always be an ongoing project. I'd therefore be really interested to hear from other hosts who have renovated their Airbnb properties and see before and after pics if you have them, or just hosts who have plans and ideas for future projects.

To start it off, here is one of the guest rooms in my house, BEFORE:

4891_101897216882_3248926_n.jpg

and AFTER:

2nd floor.jpg

I still haven't finished tweaking this room yet (the painted wardrobes for example), so there may be updates to come.

Please share your projects and plans!

231 Replies 231

Huma nice job!!! Our Airbnb is our garage. We used left over material from most of my jobs to get the place done. Some wood that's on the wall is from Idaho from a house remodel I did. Counter top is from next door cabinets from a remodel from over the hill from us etc.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kathy33

Thank you! You've done a great job with your cottage. I would not have guessed that it used to be a garage.

By the way, does the wood cladding help to insulate it and what else have you done to keep it warm? My mother's garage was converted into a living room but, although she had insulation put in and a nice wooden floor over the concrete, it's always freezing! Any tips for her?

I like it!! I would have never put those colors together but I think it will work if you tie it all together. Do post pics!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great to hear your comments here @Kathy33 and @Hollie6. Kathy it sounds like you have a really interesting home and I really like that you use left over material (you might like this discussion on recycling). It would be great to see any photos you have. 

Just mentioning in @Huma0 so she receives a notification about your replies. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Hollie6

Thank you! I'm still undecided about the deep green in the bathroom. Although I love the colour combination above, I might just stick with the grey, which is what it is now.

Perhaps I will use the deep green and pink combination elsewhere in my house. On @Lizzie's thread (https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Your-home-plans-for-2018/m-p/581684#M134156), I posted a green chinoiserie wallpaper I plan to use on my top landing or hallway, but I was thinking of doing the wood work in a greyish lilac colour. Adding pink might be too much as there is already a lot going on in the wallpaper!

6.jpg

What about painting the walls white or suing pink wall paper and using the green and pink as accents like in your sample photo the door is the dark green and maybe use some dark green subway tiles in the shower mixed with white. The white will brighten things up. Maybe some hexagon type tile for the floor with dark green and white.

Now I'm inpsired! 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Hollie6

Nice suggestions! However, I'm not re-doing the bathroom, it's just the walls that need a re-paint. Only the shower is tiled (in white) and I have already put oak parquet on the floor. Here's what it looks like now. The pink of the mirror has faded as it's quite a big room, so the bright pink mat and candles don't quite match anymore!

bathroom 1.jpgStockwell-SW9-london-houses-038-1200x781.jpg

I think those colors would look fabulous in this space! Maybe even a dark green and white wall paper that goes with the style of your home. The green paint would look awesome too! You have all that white to balance it so I really think it would work!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Hollie6

Thanks for the encouragement. I will definitely ponder on this one.

I did originally want a wallpaper in that bathroom but the builders advised against it. It does get very steamy in there, even though it is big and airy and the extractor fan has a humidity sensor. Seems people enjoy that shower too much!

I think you are right though in that a room like that can take a strong colour, so let's see if I'm brave enough to do it...

Also, what I meant before was that the pink mirror has faded because it's quite a bright room, not because it's a big room!

@Huma0 I'm not sure if I said so before but I have THOUGHT for a long time since from when I first saw your listing pics that you have an amazing, beautiful house! And the thing I like most (and envy you the most as well) is that your home is so unique!

Henry and I were in London once, about 5 years ago and loved every minute!!! We've talked about going back for another visit......  I think my baby sister would actually LOVE your home more than I do - which reminds me, I should talk her into planning a trip to London next year and tell her to stay at your place 🙂 

My home is in a newly constructed apartment complex so.....very cookie cutter. And the floors, walls, wallpaper, tiles..... everything I'm using now is exactly as they were handed over to me, move-in ready. I love to look at and enjoy other people's beautiful and unique homes, but I don't think I have it in me to ever take on renovation projects myself. I know myself well enough to choose things that are easy maintenance. 

I thought about painting a couple walls for a while........ but Henry told me I should outsource! (He knows me too well too~) 

Thanks @Jessica-and-Henry0 you or your babysitter are welcome to stay here!

I understand, if you buy a place that's already in mint condition, it seems madness to rip it all out and re-do it. I redecorated my previous home. The only room I didn't change was the kitchen, even though I really didn't like the cabinets, because it was new and expensively done. I did paint the walls in there though!

Painting a couple of walls isn't too difficult, especially if they are in good condition and there's not much preparation to do, and quie satisfying when you're done. You should give it a go!

@Huma0:

SAM_0327.JPG

Above is before we bought the home and below is this past spring's flowers. We live in the desert, so there is no grass.

P4180013 - Copy.JPG

@Tim-and-Holly0 it looks so much more inviting now! I wonder why so many people don't have any plants at all in their front gardens/yards. I guess they think it's too much maintenence, but if you pick the right plants for the place, they will usually thrive.

I really like the colour you chose for the front door too. Have you done much work inside?

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

We love renovating old buildings, we got the keys to this one in 2007 and spent 2yrs doing all the work ourselves. 10 yrs later and our current reno is a barn built in 1536 and me being 10yrs older its taking a bit longer to complete.

DSCF0471.JPG

19920420-mill-afon-ogwen-01m.jpg

DSCF0320.JPGIMG_8484.JPG

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jeff158 Wow, that's certainly quite a project and what an amazing job you did. I can't believe you did all of that yourselves. I wish I had your skills. Two years is nothing if you're not using contractors.