Before and after pics

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Before and after pics

I'm an enthusiastic interiors buff and renovating my house has been a long-term labour of love and, I realise now, will always be an ongoing project. I'd therefore be really interested to hear from other hosts who have renovated their Airbnb properties and see before and after pics if you have them, or just hosts who have plans and ideas for future projects.

To start it off, here is one of the guest rooms in my house, BEFORE:

4891_101897216882_3248926_n.jpg

and AFTER:

2nd floor.jpg

I still haven't finished tweaking this room yet (the painted wardrobes for example), so there may be updates to come.

Please share your projects and plans!

231 Replies 231
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Chris638 it kind of depends what you are starting with, the kind of look you are after (contempory, traditional, eclectic etc.) and how much you want to spend. Do you have any photos of how the apartments look now?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Chris638,

It is great to hear you are due to start hosting soon. As @Huma0 says it would be great to hear more about your properties. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Liga2
Level 5
Riga, Latvia

Dear Huma 🙂

Thank you so much for sharing all inspiring ideas! Your home is simply gorgeous!

I added all your listings to my airbnb wishlist and hopefully when I`m next time in London your place will be available 🙂

I wish you many amazing Airbnb guests in future and great success with making your home more beautiful 🙂

Happy & Sunny Regards from Riga/Latvia

Liga

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Liga2 thank you so much! Yes, do come and stay when you are in London. I was in Riga earlier this year, but for work and the accommodation was booked by someone else, so I didn't get a chance to stay in an Airbnb unfortunately. It's such a lovely city though.

Leo99
Level 2
Hanoi, Vietnam

Hi @Huma0,

You did an awesome work!! Creating such a vibe!

I found this topic so interesting that I would like to share mine in here, hope it gives you some sort of inspiration. This is the most recent renovation from me an my girlfriend Chloe, going a bit far from the original idea but we still love it 🙂 

Basically, when we took the house, it was totally a BIG MESS. It is an old apartment which was not completely taken care of by the last owners, everything was broken or put in for a temporary use. Here is how bad it was in the past, when looking back these photos I did not even understand why we decided to sign the contract.

25488561_10208545588752114_915019401_n.jpg25488908_10208545588832116_1686912143_n.jpg25497101_10208545588712113_1171566084_n.jpg

25530106_10208545589112123_1307406299_n.jpg

Our idea back then was to renovate this house into a Zen apartment with some unique details, turning it to a cosy and romantic one, suitable for couple traveling. Originally it had a bedroom but we did something different by putting a hot tub there (kinda crazy idea of Chloe!). We took down all the doors inside the house and replace with bamboo curtain, also renovating the kitchen with a better look. Here is how it become after 1.5 months work. You can see more pictures at the link: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20984497.

2C5CABB6-376C-4556-8413-91CCE925BAFA.jpg48FC461F-3E70-4141-B095-0DA777830583.jpgD9E3013E-1D30-4FDF-B781-3DB110BC2335.jpgF2737E41-CB69-4BEB-9415-C04111CAC99A.jpg

We also create a 3D port here: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=cqW86bi1xcC. Would love to welcome all of you to my house while you are travelling to Hanoi 🙂

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

wow love the 3D

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Leo99 Wow, what a transformation! I can't believe you did all of that in only 1.5 months. I think it looks fantastic and I would definitely want to stay there. It's so pretty!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow @Leo99, this is such a transformation. I love what you have done with the place. It went from being such a dark room to with light beaming through it. Such an achievement. 

What will be your next project I wonder? 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thanks Lizzie! We are working on another project, which is as bad as this one, not to say worse haha I am very keen on to introduce it in other posts on this topic 🙂

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

very nice good for you, and many blessing

Really cool to see the diffrence! 

Derrick23
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

What's the deal with the floors? Cool

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Huma0....Hi there Huma!

We have done this before but it possibly will stand repeating. My endeavours are nothing like yours of course Huma but I am proud of what I have achieved, and the guests just keep on coming and seem to like it.

This was the cottage just after we bought the house in 2009....1.jpg

In fact it was worse than that! The white ants had eaten into the roof structure and this is what the other gable of the roof looked like from inside the cottage...

Garage 2.png

Look up and there was sky, and to make matters worse that ceiling was Asbestos sheet which was commonly used in the 50s!

This is the outside of the cottage as it is this afternoon, Christmas  Eve....

IMG20171224195506 b.jpg

This was the inside of the main room.... and through the doorway was...God knows what, it was all mouldy walls and lifting Vinyl

3 b.jpg

But it had potential and this is it today....

IMG20171224210039 b.jpg

And through that doorway has become a shower room and Laundry...with a handbasin and toilet of course!

New shower and bath design b.jpg 

It's the sense of satisfaction you get from doing it yourself although I can't claim credit for the tiling.

Some things professionals need to do!

This was the back yard after I mowed all the long grass I could get to with the lawnmower...

18aa.jpg

And this brings us up to today

IMG20170319182237 b.jpg

I still have a lot to go, but I am running out of 'puff'! I am 73 now and work is just not as easy as it used to be. I gave myself 10 years to make this place my little piece of paradise. 

It is very eclectic, one last overgrown area presented a challenge.....

31.JPG

until I came across a pallet of nice walling stone and an old chair on the side of the road....

IMG20171108171352 b.jpg

I don't care that the chairs are odd, outrageous and that they don't belong outside. I have plastic covers to keep them dry and the nocturnal animals off them....

And I make a promise, guests will never sit in a more comfortable outdoor seat. With the spirit burner and with the flares going on a still night my 'Tribal Council Area' remains supreme.

I came out of my 'Man Cave' one morning and my guest from China was sitting in that seat with a cup of some concoction! I went over and sat with him for a while and he said ..

"At home I live in a big apartment building, I have a balcony for just two chairs, I spend my life dreaming of something like this".

And it all came from something that was derelict! Just an idea and a bit of tireless work!!

Cheers....Rob

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Robin4 Merry Christmas! I also bought my house in 2009 and had no idea then that I'd still be doing renovations now! Sometimes I feel like I'm married to my house 🙂 I think it will continue to be a labour of love as long as I live here. That's why it's good sometimes to look back at the 'before' photos to remind yourself of all that's already been achieved.

I am so impressed that you did so much by yourself. While I'm more than happy to pick up a paintbrush or a drill, I'd never attempt plumbing or electrics. 

What you've done with the garden and exterior is fantastic too. A lot of people spend loads of time and money on their interiors but neglect the outdoor areas.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww I remember seeing your lovely transformation before @Robin4. I don't remember seeing the new shower room thought, that looks great and very stylish. Is that relatively new?

--------------------