Before and after pics

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Before and after pics

I'm an enthusiastic interiors buff and renovating my house has been a long-term labour of love and, I realise now, will always be an ongoing project. I'd therefore be really interested to hear from other hosts who have renovated their Airbnb properties and see before and after pics if you have them, or just hosts who have plans and ideas for future projects.

To start it off, here is one of the guest rooms in my house, BEFORE:

4891_101897216882_3248926_n.jpg

and AFTER:

2nd floor.jpg

I still haven't finished tweaking this room yet (the painted wardrobes for example), so there may be updates to come.

Please share your projects and plans!

233 Replies 233
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Robin4 Merry Christmas! I also bought my house in 2009 and had no idea then that I'd still be doing renovations now! Sometimes I feel like I'm married to my house 🙂 I think it will continue to be a labour of love as long as I live here. That's why it's good sometimes to look back at the 'before' photos to remind yourself of all that's already been achieved.

I am so impressed that you did so much by yourself. While I'm more than happy to pick up a paintbrush or a drill, I'd never attempt plumbing or electrics. 

What you've done with the garden and exterior is fantastic too. A lot of people spend loads of time and money on their interiors but neglect the outdoor areas.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww I remember seeing your lovely transformation before @Robin4. I don't remember seeing the new shower room thought, that looks great and very stylish. Is that relatively new?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie....Gee whiz, who is the observant one? The bathroom is still a work in progress, the tilers have done a great job and hopefully it will be fully operational within the next two weeks.

It has been hard because we have had to juggle work between guests. I had hoped to have this project complete back at the end of July but as anyone who has built will tell you schedules mean 'jack  s hit' when it comes to building work!

The original idea for this included a bath.....

New shower and bath design.jpg 

but I was advised to dump that because of the potential liability issues....kids and water do not always mix well, besides the room was starting to look a bit cramped with this great white porcelain addition.

Everything comes at a cost though and l am putting my listing cost up allow for this addition which everyone I have spoken to so far seems to think is fair enough.

Can't believe Lizzie, out of all the posts that you must scan through you picked that one up!

Cheers....Rob

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Love the design for this shower room @Robin4. You are probably right about the bath. Lovely as it is, you need a fair bit of space for one of those, not just for practicality, but to show them off properly!

I hear you re timescales. My recent bathroom project was supposed to take two weeks and ended up taking four. I know that's nothing in the scheme of things, but the problem was that I had blocked guest bookings based on how long the builders said they would take, not how long they were acutally here! 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hehe @Robin, I have a strange memory for things. 🙂 I think it is going to look lovely and there is always something refreshing (pardon the pun) about renovating a bathroom. 

Have you done all the work yourself? You are a person who wears many hats. 🙂

(You might also like to visit this thread, Your home: plans for 2018)

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Jeanette37
Level 3
Traralgon, Australia

Wow!  Is that the same room?  It's fantastic!

Ikenna2
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Looks amazing!! Great job turning this place around

Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Huma0 It is just exquisite. Are those the original floors? Pretty amazing place you got there.

I am thinking of renovating mine too, but that will have to wait a bit more. I am actually into antiques, love the style you chose for this room, it perfectly suits the bones of the house. Well done!!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Elizabeth429thank you for your nice comments! Yes, where possible, I kept the original Victorian floorboards. I like them, but it's amazing how many people are very critical of them and don't understand why I don't replace them. My thinking is, if I wanted something that looked brand new, I would have bought a brand new house, not an old one!

Good luck when you get around to your renovations. It is hard work, but so rewarding in the end.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

And here is my living room, before:

4891_101916601882_3850672_n.jpg4891_101916616882_1941929_n.jpg 

If you're wondering why there are always weird blurry spots in the before photos, that's because of all the dust that was in the air when the renovation work started!

And here it is after, although as usual, I've still got changes I'd like to make to the room (spot the masking tape again):living room 2.jpg living room 1.jpg Stockwell-SW9-london-houses-014-1200x1800.jpg

And yes, I know kitty is a bit plump, but I have neighbours who won't stop feeding her!

kitty, is ADORABLE!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Kirsten, she's a bit of a princess as you can probably tell. Her main skill is in seducing strangers (ignores her nearest and dearest most of the time), so she's quite useful when I have guests who love cats.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Such a wonderful transformation @Huma0

Love your cat too. She suits her surrounding very well. 🙂

--------------------

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Lizzie!

My cat tried to photobomb every picture when the Airbnb photographer came round! She was allowed to be in one or two...

Barbara779
Level 2
Port Macquarie, Australia

This is truly beautiful. Great job. You have inspired me. Regards Barbara from Newport Island Haven Australia