Bugs after rain

Bugs after rain

I’ve had a slew of water bugs pop up in my guesthouse. It’s highly forested and we have a pool. Some guests are very understanding and don’t freak out but I’ve had a handful of bad reviews now due to the roaches coming up after the storms. We treat the indoors and outdoors w/ pest control chemicals and leave some cans under the sink for the guests. Most recent issue is ants coming through the window; looking for suggestions to slow them down and how to address with the guests. One guest in particular gave me a 3star review after she smoked weed and broke a glass; I gave her a 5star bc of the bugs being an issue and the internet was cutting out due to the rain - I should have gave her the 3stars for breaking the rules and hiding the glass 😒. Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you!

6 Replies 6
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Vanessa2408 

Old Hawaii trick Boric Acid for Roaches iy has been a fews years my husband says Optigard on Amazon

@Marie8425 Thank you! I’ll try it and see how it goes 🙂

@Vanessa2408 

Hawaii cockroaches are big and fly B-52s we call them. lol  Boric Acid, is cheap and you can get powder or pills.  In  the house we used the pills and outside and window sills the powder,  Works a lot better than the fortune on bug sprays

The Optigard is the bait for ants that our local pest companies would sell us, but my husband looked and on Amazon.  It is bait so that type of poison takes a little longer because they take it back but we used it especially on window sills and looking for the ant hole outside usually the garden around house.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Vanessa2408, welcome to our community 😊

There are many great suggestions from our Hosts in this thread ✌️. If you find any of their answers particularly useful, please don't hesitate to mark it as the best answer. You can do this by clicking the button below the comment as shown in the following image:

Paula_0-1721934866341.png

This will help future Hosts with similar questions easily find this conversation.

All the best.

-----

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Vanessa2408 

I feel sorry for you with the insect issue, it's terrible when you try to fight something that's hard to control. As for the 3-star guest, she can't see your review before she posts hers, so the bugs & internet should not have affected your review of her - only take into account how she fared as a guest. However, I think you probably did the right thing to give her 5 stars - one broken glass is (in my opinion) just something that happens from time to time. Her 3-star review was probably due to bugs & internet, so as long as you are working on those 2 things as best you can, that's all you can do!

@Shelley159 thank you for the feedback! I definitely hate doing a review in the heat of my feelings and like to wait a day or two if I’m in a negative space. The guest cleaned up and had no qualms about the insects, I just wish she hadn’t smoked indoors, I don’t think she deserved a bad review either.