Carpet or no carpet? What’s the best for your listing and why?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Carpet or no carpet? What’s the best for your listing and why?

Jenny_0-1687878225875.jpeg

Hello everyone!

The other day I was thinking back to places I’ve rented to live in over the years.  I’ve stayed in some wonderful, and some not so wonderful places, but one sticks out the most because it had a main bathroom which was carpeted, including up the sides of the bath!  In my personal opinion, carpeting in the bathroom is a no-no.

That got me thinking… what about Airbnb Hosts, and their listings?  I can imagine that carpeting a listing must mean a bit of extra work hoovering, it’s more difficult to clean up spills… but then laminate flooring is noisy for downstairs neighbours, and for some people it’s not very cosy.

So, the burning question from me is:  Carpet or no carpet - what’s the best for your listing?  Are you a fan of cosy, plush carpeting?  Or do you prefer some sleek, easy to clean laminate?  Maybe you’ve got beautiful old polished floor boards and some lovely rugs to complement your decor?  What’s the positives and negatives about the flooring you’ve chosen?  Let me know in the replies.   Feel free to share photos!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Take care!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

65 Replies 65
Cara288
Level 2
Mooresville, NC

I have original hardwood floors in my 95-yr old home. I’ve helped other guests. Hosts get their listings started and they have all had hardwood floors as well. I think it makes cleaning much easier with dust mops & wet mops. it smells better - Carpet can trap odors. I have a few attractive throw rugs & entry rugs that get laundered periodically, & only one larger living room rug. If you’re renovating a space, luxury vinyl holds up very nice, looks good, tolerates temperature swings well, and is more forgiving than ceramic tile.  That’s my 2 cents! 🙂

No carpet for me. I lived in Rochester, NY  and carpet was the must unless you have a beautiful wood flooring that you want to show-off.  You would need carpet for the cold weather up there. But down hear in South Florida, I don't think there's any need for it. Cleaning is much easier.

Carpet is a maintenance nightmare.  If you want the soft floors put rugs over wood or tile. Rugs are easily changed in a few hours. We have rustic cabin floors with Decorative area rugs.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

I had a peek at your listing @Ken3103 - I absolutely love how it looks - and your use of rugs looks great as well!

-----

Thanks. We always appreciate advice on how to make our property more attractive to guests.

Ali17597
Level 2
Isparta, Türkiye

In fact, not using carpet may be more appropriate in terms of allergens. but in my region, our guests do not prefer to walk around the house with shoes. For this reason, the easiest way to protect them from the cold on the floor is carpet. Also, the city where I live is famous for carpet weaving. Although not as famous as Iran, carpets are very valuable.

A51A1292-64BD-474C-85CE-9F1110F18D80.jpeg

@Ali17597 Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing, @Ali17597 - I had a look online at carpets from Isparta, and there were so many beautiful examples!

-----

Art12064
Level 2
Kensington, MD

We have carpets. It is better for sound proofing and increases the value of the space. 

However, for this reason we need to be able to see if a person has dyed hair or not.  (If they are using hair coloring products then we cannot risk hosting them.) 

However, so far, none of the persons sending reservations have had any profile pictures that were visible to us.  (They claim to have profile pictures, but we cannot see any.)  Therefore, we ask if they have profiles.  But, either they don't reply back or else they cannot see our replies. It seems possible replies are being filtered.

One solution would be to pull the carpeting, but we are hoping whatever is going on changes so that we can filter out those with hair coloring products.  (They will ruin carpets.)  

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry to hear about this @Art12064 - have you experienced someone using hair dye products that have made a mess before?  Have you added your concern about hair colouring products to your listing description and house rules?

As a person who uses hair dye, I'd never think of using it anywhere except home or at the salon!

Jenny

-----

Yes it's happened a few times. The replacement cost is several thousand.

Rules might not be the best solution.  Then we'd have 1000 rules for every situation. The real problem is that they say they have uploaded a picture of themselves but we can never see any profile pictures.  

It would be one thing if the people making the reservations had reviews.  But, so far, nobody has had any of those ether.  I don't know if AIRBNB has a way of detecting those who make a new account every time they got a bad review. 

Anyway we do love carpet. It does increase costs though.  Everyone here is correct about that.

@Art12064 We have had hair dye ruin towels and pillowcases...it is so inconsiderate but is it just a "cost of doing this business"?  Julie

Shakeel9
Level 1
Mississauga, Canada

We have carpets but I am thinking to remove them. It is not possible all the time to make it spotless and clean.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

It sounds like you might benefit from a different kind of flooring, @Shakeel9! What do you think you'd use as a replacement?

-----

@Shakeel9  We love our LVP flooring:)  Much easier to clean.  Julie