Carpet or no carpet? What’s the best for your listing and why?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Carpet or no carpet? What’s the best for your listing and why?

Jenny_0-1687878225875.jpeg

Hello everyone!

The other day I was thinking back to places I’ve rented to live in over the years.  I’ve stayed in some wonderful, and some not so wonderful places, but one sticks out the most because it had a main bathroom which was carpeted, including up the sides of the bath!  In my personal opinion, carpeting in the bathroom is a no-no.

That got me thinking… what about Airbnb Hosts, and their listings?  I can imagine that carpeting a listing must mean a bit of extra work hoovering, it’s more difficult to clean up spills… but then laminate flooring is noisy for downstairs neighbours, and for some people it’s not very cosy.

So, the burning question from me is:  Carpet or no carpet - what’s the best for your listing?  Are you a fan of cosy, plush carpeting?  Or do you prefer some sleek, easy to clean laminate?  Maybe you’ve got beautiful old polished floor boards and some lovely rugs to complement your decor?  What’s the positives and negatives about the flooring you’ve chosen?  Let me know in the replies.   Feel free to share photos!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Take care!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

65 Replies 65
Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Jenny 

This is a great topic ! 

Carpeted bathroom? Yikes! Carpeting collects dirt, debris, and dust mites, none of which are particularly welcome in our home. In a bathroom, it could also have issues around spills, splashes and other sources of moisture

We have hardwood floors throughout our house - gorgeous hickory. In the guest suite we've a lovely neutral tile bathroom floor. The rest is a beautiful, farmed red oak floor. It was installed as a dance floor so it is sprung for orthopedic comfort for dancers.

We've made one exception to the bare floors, here, which is a huge Nichols rug in the guest suite, under and around the bed. It is about 100 years old, a magnificent deco design, handmade in China from finest quality wool. It feels like silk, and with our no shoes policy, it is much easier to maintain, plus a treat for guests' bare feet. It was a gift from Creek's mother, part of her extensive collection of treats from Asia. It is a gorgeous artwork!

Washable rugs in both bathroom and bedroom?  In the past I have been told (by visitors from abroad) that carpets in bathrooms are definitely a curious, rather British, fashion idea…… but that was years ago.

Storme0
Level 2
Gulfport, MS

I think this is a decision that’s also based on location. It’s hot here, sandy, near the beach.. so we don’t have carpet at all. While I’d love to have beautifully hardwood floors, realistically stuff happens. We use wood looking vinyl flooring. It tares easy so I’m not a fan usually .. but for keeping cost down, easy repairs, and easy to clean, especially being pet friendly in all locations … that’s my choice. 

Nicholas439
Level 5
Clearwater, FL

Where possible - No Carpet!  I don't like carpet anywhere but I've learned that on multi-story homes that carpet upstairs maybe necessary for noise.  I have stained concrete and luxury vinyl in one of my houses and tile and laminate in the other.   SO much easier to clean and they last forever.  I do have area rugs placed strategically and these can be cleaned (or replaced) easily.  For high traffic areas or where the potential for stains - I recommend synthetic rugs as they clean much better.  I'm not a fan of the synthetic materials but again, from experience, they are better for cleaning.  We allow pets so cleaning the rugs is a regular activity.  

As regards bathrooms - definitely no carpet - that's a 70's insanity that should be left to history!!   We use nice thick cotton bath mats which can be washed after each stay.  Have plenty on hand so they can be replaced when they get wet.  

Karina772
Level 1
Gardena, CA

I say no carpet it’s best to keep it very minimal and clean a lot of people have allergies 

Dionese0
Level 2
Cardiff, United Kingdom

My listing is no carpet as our property attracts a lot of mountain bikers and it makes cleaning up easier.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Dionese0 

Do you ask your guests to take their shoes/ footwear off at the door?

It makes life so much  easier with cleaning in general terms,

Dionese0
Level 2
Cardiff, United Kingdom

Yes I ask guest to take their shoes off and leave it neatly at the door. So far all guest have obeyed the rules that we set out. 

Peachy4
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I have carpet in both bedrooms of my apartment. Guests like them. They look cozy, stylish and nice. Easy to clean. I believe it mostly depends on type of guests and the location of property. 

No carpet. It is easy and lower cost to clean after guest leaves. 

Who knows guest can decide to be freakie on the floor. Without carpet, it'll be easier to Mob and get ready for the next quest. 

Michele1754
Level 1
Prescott Valley, AZ

I prefer no carpets and instead use throw rugs. My current Airbnb does have carpet but I have replaced floors in both bathrooms with water proof vinyl. I am gradually changing out the carpet to the vinyl as we go. 

Dinesh61
Level 2
Chandler, AZ

Just got my first one up and live. No Carpet. I have carpet at my home and not easy to clean after a toddler makes a mess all day long.

David10264
Level 1
Eilat, Israel

of course carpet, this item gives the apartment a homey feeling especially during winter time. yes it's a little hard to routinely clean but i wouldn't pass on it.  

Abdulrahman36
Level 1
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

I have two carpets and they look amazing 🤩 #buy_carpet