Carpet or no carpet? What’s the best for your listing and why?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Carpet or no carpet? What’s the best for your listing and why?

Jenny_0-1687878225875.jpeg

Hello everyone!

The other day I was thinking back to places I’ve rented to live in over the years.  I’ve stayed in some wonderful, and some not so wonderful places, but one sticks out the most because it had a main bathroom which was carpeted, including up the sides of the bath!  In my personal opinion, carpeting in the bathroom is a no-no.

That got me thinking… what about Airbnb Hosts, and their listings?  I can imagine that carpeting a listing must mean a bit of extra work hoovering, it’s more difficult to clean up spills… but then laminate flooring is noisy for downstairs neighbours, and for some people it’s not very cosy.

So, the burning question from me is:  Carpet or no carpet - what’s the best for your listing?  Are you a fan of cosy, plush carpeting?  Or do you prefer some sleek, easy to clean laminate?  Maybe you’ve got beautiful old polished floor boards and some lovely rugs to complement your decor?  What’s the positives and negatives about the flooring you’ve chosen?  Let me know in the replies.   Feel free to share photos!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Take care!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

65 Replies 65

Even though carpet is cozy, I don't feel it belongs in the bathroom because of the humidity but I do think it's nice in the living area at least.

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

Instead of conventional carpets, I've been using traditional "banig," a handwoven mat from the Philippines made from dried and colored palm, pandan, or sea grass leaves. By purchasing these woven mats from local artisans, I hope to gently showcase our local heritage and share its beauty with our guests.

Said191
Level 2
Peterborough, United Kingdom

As guest house I don’t recommend carpet as a need a lot of cleaning and doesn’t look clean. Is the best to have laminate on rooms and tiles in the kitchen bathroom .

Rachel2465
Level 2
Blue Ridge, VA

Personally,  my airbnb rental which I host/rent out only has carpeting in the 2 bedrooms, which is beneficial for cleaning especially when pets are involved. The rest of the floors are laminate or tile. However,  the living room does have a rug in it, which is also easy to clean. I find that rugs make a room feel more "cozy and homey," so to say. They can also act as a space-filler and bring color to an empty room/area like a hallway. The only other rugs are the tiny mats that lay in front of each sink and entrance door. These are so easily forgotten when decorating a rental that isn't your home and you never stay there. Haha!! 

All the best,

~Rachel Spring~
Co-Hostess/GM
(540) 688-7888
Yvette322
Level 2
Horsham, United Kingdom

I avoid rugs for health and safety reasons to avoid trips. I avoid carpets as they are harder to clean and seem to hold a lot of dust. All our floors are tiles or laminate with carpet only on the stairs. If I can find a safe solutions for rugs I would add them for aesthetics and to make floors warmer. 

Best wishes,

Yvette

Luka440
Level 1
Bečići, Montenegro

No carpet .

IMG_3115.jpeg