Cleaner to set thermostat too much to ask?

Answered!
Candice275
Level 1
Portland, OR

Cleaner to set thermostat too much to ask?

I have an issue with my cleaner not setting the thermostat at 65 for the next guest. She didn’t set it and the house was freezing for the guest. The guest ended up leaving in the middle of the night. My cleaner is saying it’s not her fault, although she previously agreed to set the thermostat for us.

Is it too much to ask my cleaner to set the thermostat? She is suggesting it’s out of her job description.

1 Best Answer

Thank you, I agree. It takes two seconds to do and its only in the Winter we need this. I think I will ask the guest to set it as well. Our cleaner does text us when she leaves so I can always reiterate to do it as well. I was mostly taken aback by our cleaners hostility about it not being her fault the guest left after she agreed to set the thermostat for us. Anyway, thank you for your input. 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Bronwyn100
Level 7
Hardys Bay, Australia

True it’s not cleaning. You wouldn’t expect her to check that all the light bulbs work. Suggestion: ask guests to set it upon their arrival. 

Thank you, I think I will include this in our departure message. Good idea. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Candice275  No, it's not unreasonable at all if that's the agreement you have with her. It may not be cleaning but it's definitely not rocket science. 

Why don't you set up a system where she texts you when she's done with the cleaning and about to leave. You can then double-check with her if she has set the thermostat. 

Either that, or have a checklist that she has to complete every time she cleans. Setting the thermostat would be on the checklist. 

Of the two choices, I think a text or a call would work best. 

Thank you, I agree. It takes two seconds to do and its only in the Winter we need this. I think I will ask the guest to set it as well. Our cleaner does text us when she leaves so I can always reiterate to do it as well. I was mostly taken aback by our cleaners hostility about it not being her fault the guest left after she agreed to set the thermostat for us. Anyway, thank you for your input. 

Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Candice275 ,

It is not the action, it is the responsibility that she wants to avoid, and she is absolutely right on that.

Consider using a WiFi thermostat that you can control remotely while being responsible for it.

Thank you for the suggestion. I agree it's totally her right to not want to set the thermostat, but she shouldn't have agreed to do so either. It's a bit sticky. We're going to find another way to set it and not ask her anymore. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can't expect either guests or your cleaner to do this.

Just install a remote heating system and set it yourself.  @Candice275 

why do you have two profiles 😀😁

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Candice275,

We installed smart thermostats in our rentals and we can remotely turn them on and off, set the temperature, set a temperature range, and a schedule.