Cleaning Hours

Answered!

Cleaning Hours

Hi All

Just interested getting some thoughts from other hosts.

We have a really great cleaner, does a fantastic job, we pay per hour at a very good rate.

But the cleans average around 4 hours, often going up to 5 for each clean between guests.

The cleans do include making beds for next guests, and washing linen after.

We are interested to know your thoughts on the time taken, excessive?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Lake-Cottage0 

You've received excellent reviews. Please don't compromise on cleaning; it could impact your ratings.

A cleaning duration of 4-5 hours appears reasonable to me, depending on the level of quality you aim for. I own a 2-bedroom apartment in the Netherlands with a bathroom and kitchen. It's compact and easy to maintain; it takes about 2.5 hours, including laundry.

In the Caribbean (Curacao), I own three 3-bedroom/2.5-bathroom villas, each spanning 155m2 in a tropical setting. Cleaning for each villa takes approximately 6 hours, excluding laundry.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7

@Lake-Cottage0 I have a small apartment and the last time I tried cleaning it by myself, I couldn't finish cleaning it in 4 hours. 

Bronwyn100
Level 7
Hardys Bay, Australia

Hi

It's the washing & drying linen. That's 1.5 hours I would think. 

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Lake-Cottage0 

You've received excellent reviews. Please don't compromise on cleaning; it could impact your ratings.

A cleaning duration of 4-5 hours appears reasonable to me, depending on the level of quality you aim for. I own a 2-bedroom apartment in the Netherlands with a bathroom and kitchen. It's compact and easy to maintain; it takes about 2.5 hours, including laundry.

In the Caribbean (Curacao), I own three 3-bedroom/2.5-bathroom villas, each spanning 155m2 in a tropical setting. Cleaning for each villa takes approximately 6 hours, excluding laundry.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lake-Cottage0 With all the linen as well 4-5 hours for one person is a steal. Hold on to this cleaner as they are doing a great job!

Next time they are on holiday (or ill) do the clean yourself and you will see how long it takes!

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Lake-Cottage0, we have a 2 bedroom cottage 3 beds and a though clean takes about 5 hours or longer.

The list can be long as per furniture in each room checked and wiped down along with beds changed and made.

Floors- vacuumed or swept and washed.+ skirting boards, window sills wiped down.

Bathroom walls, sink. bath, shower and toilets.

Kitchen- microwave, stove, fridge, dishes,  cutlery, utensils, and pans checked - if clean

I personally do the cleaning so often see little things like marks on wall - then washed, if small children have stayed- dining room tables and chair legs are wiped along with  high chair, cot and glass windows and doors that are within reach. 

All toys are washed or wiped for infection control.

Then it is restocking, washing and ironing linen.

Overall it depends on what  standard you have and present to your guests and your representation that you have for your Airbnb for reviews.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think all hosts should clean their own properties at least once or get their cohosts to do it to get an ide of what's involved .

it obviously depends on the size of your property and your checklist of what you want your cleaner to do but it doesn't sound unreasonable.

why do you feel the time taken may be excessive @Lake-Cottage0 

Hi, we are retirees, new on airbnb, hosting a four bedrooms house and have only served a few guests so far and so good. Cleaning is a huge burden to us, but surprisingly there are only a few messages in this topic here. It takes an hour and half to wash and dry the linens at a commercial laundry 10 minutes away, an hour to strip off the old linens and make the five beds with fresh ones, an hour and half to clean the three toilets, three showers and one bathtub, an hour to clean the kitchen, an hour and half to vacuum and mop the floor and an hour to water the plants, hedges and clean the patio. If mowing is needed, it takes an hour to do it. When we have five hours in between check-in and check-out, we have to work like mad. Luckily, our guests are usually from other states and arrive late at night. However, we just came across a guest who complained about cleanliness and requested for a refund. I have just submitted a request on Hipages, looking for a cleaner to clean the house. We got a quote for $250 and two other companies would like to talk to us before providing any quote. So far, most of our bookings are for two to three days with $160 a day on the average. We charge $95 cleaning fee. So, for a 2.5-day booking, $95 + $160 x 2.5 = $495 - $250 - $25 GST - $38 (for washing and drying) = $207. If we have 20% vacancies or $207 x .8 = $165.6 or $66.24 per day. The current rent for the house is about $650 per week or $92.85 a day. I am wondering how your guys make it. Please advise. Many thanks, Michael