Comforter stains

Answered!
Mark3534
Level 2
Hudson, NY

Comforter stains

I have multiple blood stains on white comforter . Should I request money for its cleaning?

1 Best Answer

I'm new to hosting but have an opinion. I would let the guest know about the blood on the comforter (take pictures) and tell them that you're going to have it cleaned (which I consider a cost of doing business) but, if the stains can't be removed, they are going to be charged to replace the comforter. My house rules state that the guest is responsible for any damage to the property and contents and guests will be charged for damages. I think notifying them first and trying to clean it and charging them if you can't is reasonable. I'm interested to see other hosts' feedback.

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9

I'm new to hosting but have an opinion. I would let the guest know about the blood on the comforter (take pictures) and tell them that you're going to have it cleaned (which I consider a cost of doing business) but, if the stains can't be removed, they are going to be charged to replace the comforter. My house rules state that the guest is responsible for any damage to the property and contents and guests will be charged for damages. I think notifying them first and trying to clean it and charging them if you can't is reasonable. I'm interested to see other hosts' feedback.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Debbie1192 

As you're new to hosting, you may not yet have discovered the risks of confronting guests with anything other than major damage.

Many will take it personally, and proceed to find anything wrong with your place, and point it out in their review, complete with exaggerations and sometimes completely fabricated atrocities. It will stay with your ratings forever, and there's little you can do about it. 

It's a cost of doing business. A hotel wouldn't confront the guests about something like this, and the guest won't likely expect you would either.

Absolutely, an Airbnb is not a hotel, but you're both in the hospitality business... it's so similar that most guests don't know the difference. Or care.

So, before confronting guests with what they perceive as a frivolity, it's wise to carefully weigh the consequences of confrontation against just taking a deep breath and accept the additional cleaning work or even replacing the damaged item.

If this happens all the time, then you may need to review what is it that is attracting this type of guest (?) They're not all irresponsible types. Mostly not. If you're getting more than your fair share, then maybe look at your presentation, pricing, etc. There's a lot of psychology in hosting. 

As a seasoned host, I can assure you that It could be much worse. Count your blessings. 

Wise advice, Elaine! I will take this to heart.

Being new, I was responding how I would have handled that situation but agree with you completely about the perpetuity of reviews. I'll definitely consider your wise words going forward.

Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Mark3534 @Debbie1192 

Alas, blood stains are a frequent occurrence in this business, and in the journey through life we all deal with those things, personally, as well. I've an easy fix, which works on everything. Hydrogen peroxide. Everything from tiny spots to a square foot of blood will come out with it, in my years of experience. Treat it before washing and if it is a lot of blood, be patient and use the whole bottle a little at a time. Then rinse, and wash. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Mark3534 I hope that comforter is soaking in cold water....as soon as possible....and hydrogen peroxide and other soap products will typically remove.....as long as NO ONE puts heat to it. No hot water...if hot water is used it will set those stains forever. 

First remove stains and learn ways to remove all stains cause they will happen....

When and if they can't be removed....then you can ask for reimbursement. Many will say no and then you have to get air cover to pay it. Have receipts and photos and all that for that effort. Hope this helps. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Mark3534 ! It seems like you've received some interesting advice from our lovely Hosts @Clara7 @Kitty-and-Creek0 and @Debbie1192 ! How did you proceed with this in the end? We would like to hear what you decided to go with.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Bhumika  @Mark3534 In the hosting journey stains are going to happen and after rereading all the answers I wanted to add a thought.

Many hosts take stains personally - DON'T - usually they are an accident and I really think guests didn't mean to make them happen. So we need to be careful NOT To shame the guests. It is so important that our approach in dealing with every situation is critical, esp. with this topic as its not pretty, not talked about and I think many will get defensive quickly when shamed/ attacked and not considered in this situation. Accidents are part of hosting but occasionally total disregard will occur and we get to pick how we deal with and learn from that as well. Here's my early in hosting example of my biggest learning and disappointment of guests that looked 5 star on the outside. 

Only once did I have a situation that was clearly NOT an accident - it was a precious young couple, that obviously didn't have any regard for people and their property.  They had 4 nights of enjoying themselves in the bed - which had been completely trashed, it made me so sad to throw away a fabulous duvet, comforter, sheets, pillow cases and everything - every fluid bodily and food/drink possible was baked in after 4 nights and absolutely permanent. Evidence of drugs, booze & trash just tossed in the corner/next to the trash can - I couldn't understand - and it was a really big moment of learning how to best navigate damage & disappointment. What got me the worst was they were the prettiest, young folks and I had even loaned a jacket to the woman  and I drove the young woman to the airport before returning to the nightmare they left behind. 

Of course, she never responded but all I could really write was "How disappointed I was in them and their behavior" and they caused me to be cautious and not as trusting with the younger crowd, it was a bummer - but I am glad it happened early on and taught me much. So with younger folks that ask to stay, I say, unfortunately a young couple trashed the place and they write they will respect and take great care - and they have and do from that bad situation forward over 6 yrs now.  Some things awful become beautiful in the end. 

Use bleach spray on it, and then brush it gently, will be gone less than 1 min

Great tip for blood stains; Hydrogen peroxide. I will try this! Thanks