Considering hosting my home as Airbnb

Considering hosting my home as Airbnb

Hello,

I'm Catherine and live in Portland, OR, USA.  I own a 2-bedroom, 2-bath condo and am considering hosting my entire home except for 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom that will be off limits.  I have MANY questions.  Shall I start listing my questions here?

9 Replies 9

Hi Catherine,

I want to welcome you as a host 😊 Yes, feel free to start listing your questions and I am happy to answer to best of my knowledge.

Please know that you can definitely lock the bedroom and bathroom you don't want guests to access. It is important to clearly mention it in your listing description too. This will set the right expectations for your guests and ensure they respect those boundaries.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

**[Advertising removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Thank you, @Alicia753!

If a host is gone for a month, how does the host get the guest the key, and pick up the key?  Does the host have to keep a cleaning crew on retainer to clean in between guests?  Does airbnb provide services like cleaning or gathering keys when the guest leaves?  How do hosts who are not near the premises deal with these things?

That’s it to start!

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Catherine3690 

You have to think of Airbnb as the booking agent that provides you with guests. It is not involved in cleaning, key exchange or any other operational issue.

Most US hosts in your position seem to use a smartlock instead of keys, which is extremely useful if it can work at your space, and can be integrated with the app.

It's also common to make use of a professional Airbnb cleaning company if you host remotely, and sometimes a co-host.

Let's hope a host near you responds with some more specific details.

In the meantime the community center is a good place to look for conversations about topics that you have questions about - you'll learn more than just the things you wanted to ask!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Catherine3690,

I've added a tag with Alicia's name to your comment. To tag someone, tap "@" and select the host's username from the dropdown menu. This way, they will receive a notification.

I recommend checking out the Experienced Co-hosting page. There, you can find local Co-hosts who can help manage your property while you're away.

Shelly reccomended using a smartlock to give guests access to your property remotely. You can use the Host Assist feature, which allows hosts to connect with service providers partnered with Airbnb. This feature lets you see which services are available in your area, such as smart lock services, which enable remote check-in for guests anytime, from anywhere.

@Shelley159  Do you use a smart lock for your property? If so, are there any features you would recommend looking for when choosing one?

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Shelley159
Top Contributor

Hi @Quincy

I would absolutely love to use smart locks, but unfortunately my properties have perimeter security fencing as well. When these are communal and managed by the building, it's not as easy to change to a fully automated check-in system. I haven't installed smart locks on my doors yet, because the guests will still need a physical remote control anyway (to get onto the communal property).  Hopefully @Catherine3690 doesn't have a similar challenge and can use a smart lock without problems.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Shelley159 That sounds challenging! Have you thought about using a lockbox to house the physical remote, maybe placed outside the security fence? You could possibly combine this with a smart lock on your door to streamline the check-in process.

How are you currently managing the keys for check-in?

@Catherine3690  Would love to hear if you think a smart lock would be a feasible option for you.

-----

Shelley159
Top Contributor

@Quincy Presently using lockbox yes, but unfortunately not right there at the premises as I have to comply with security protocols. Collecting keys from a box some distance away is not ideal for guests. There are some software solutions available to open communal gates electronically, so I'm hoping building management will make the switch to one of those systems at some point. However, a problem with 'smart' gates is that guests may have to download an app to operate the gate (different ios/android phones & apps), so I guess nothing in life is without challenges?!

For now, I'm just subscribing to all posts that touch on these issues, it's always helpful to see what others do.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

You make a fair point about the lockbox not being the best option in your case.

We’d love it if you could keep us updated on any security gate-opening solutions you decide to go with, as you gather insights from others in the community. We’re eager to hear more.

-----

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Catherine3690 

The airbnb help website is a great resource for you it has FAQs about most aspects of running your STR business on Airbnb.

if you are letting your place as a self contained listing and will be away you really need to have a cohost to manage things while you are not around. They will have their own cleaning service you can use.

you can use self check in for guests to left themselves in and out.