Disinfecting After a COVID-19 Exposure: Clorox vs. Lysol?

Answered!

Disinfecting After a COVID-19 Exposure: Clorox vs. Lysol?

I find myself in a situation where a recent guest in my home tested positive for COVID-19. I want to ensure I thoroughly disinfect the space, and I'm torn between using Clorox and Lysol. Has anyone faced a similar situation, and if so, which product did you find more effective?

Considering the nature of the virus, I'm particularly concerned about sanitizing high-touch surfaces like doorknobs, light switches, and countertops. Should I lean towards Clorox or Lysol for this specific scenario?
PS: I won't be doing the cleaning myself, but I want to make sure my cleaner has the best resources to deal with the situation!

1 Best Answer
Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

@Calvin173 Not all agree with the CDC guidelines but it's a good place to start~ or ask your doctor's office.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/clean-disinfect/index.html

Not every surface can be cleaned with a bleach product (throw rugs, for example) so read through the different links to get suggestions for different surfaces 🙂 Also, it's been found that ventilation is important after exposure to germs/bacteria. Even by simply opening windows and using a fan to blow the air out it is improving the situation. Best wishes~

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

@Calvin173 Not all agree with the CDC guidelines but it's a good place to start~ or ask your doctor's office.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/clean-disinfect/index.html

Not every surface can be cleaned with a bleach product (throw rugs, for example) so read through the different links to get suggestions for different surfaces 🙂 Also, it's been found that ventilation is important after exposure to germs/bacteria. Even by simply opening windows and using a fan to blow the air out it is improving the situation. Best wishes~

Thanks for your help, @Cheri354 . I asked my cleaner to follow the CDC guidelines to a tee. She isolated, ventilated, and thoroughly disinfected every nook and cranny. From high-touch surfaces to soft furnishings, she left no stone unturned. I'm feeling pretty confident about my guests' safety now.

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

@Calvin173 You're welcome ! Sounds like your cleaner was very thorough and no match for those germs 🙂

Yes, she's a good one, haha. I have three other cleaners that I work with and trust. These days you can hardly find someone who meets your expectations!

Sorry about my response time, I was busy with the holidays!

Karen3591
Level 2
Sun City, AZ

I would recommend Lysol and make sure you're cleaning people are wearing gloves while cleaning and dispose of them in the proper trash.