Do I have to dislose to guests when I am treating for sugar ants? How do I handle this?

Answered!
Dawn150
Level 2
Everett, WA

Do I have to dislose to guests when I am treating for sugar ants? How do I handle this?

I have been treating for sugar ants for just over two weeks now. They are greatly reduced in numbers and those that remain are very sluggish.

I have guests arriving this afternoon, shall I leave the traps in place? They will be somewhat visible. Should I disclose this to them when they arrive? 

I have had guests since this was discovered to be a problem and all have been quite understanding and I just don't know what the best protocol is? Thoughts!

1 Best Answer
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Dawn150 I would inform the guests in advance, and offer them the choice of leaving the traps in place or not.

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21

how do you deal with that

Good heads up that sounds like traps initially attract more before resulting in less, helps us hosts time things when we have the flexibility. 

I think they more we can leave up to the guest the more satisfied we all are, some like me love insects and generally are not fearful...while a friend of mine is afraid of non-biting daddy long leg spiders and knows they don't bite but isn't used to being around them...another friend has a deathly fear of dogs...any dog, my little non jumping 20 lb terrier that ignores here when we hike...she just never grew up around dogs and avoids them fiercely so likely won't get used to them any time soon. Then there are people like my family member who got bit by a dog as a child, deeply on the leg while bicycling...some fears are based in experience. 

I had an allergic reaction to a biting ant (which Sugar Ants are not as we all know from these posts) and woke up to paramedics, but continued my love for ants/insects, after all, I don't remember any of it really...:)

Alison145
Level 2
Corvallis, OR

I've been battling our sugar ants for months. I wrote a brief note about the ants and put it on the refrigerator," "The Story of the Ants," explaining that they are harmless and meek cratures, while also apologiziing for their presence and telling guests I'm working on it. I've taken to commenting on them, too.  Twice people (who I haven't talked to about them) have left private comments ("bugs"-- which sounds so much worse than "sugar ants") leaving me wishing I could explain to Air BnB. I use only nontoxic products in the studio (and in my house) but have gotten to the  point where I'd use just about anything to get rid of them. People from this area usually  understand. Most of them say they have ants in their homes, too. Also, I can't understand what the ants want. They're never in the kitchen area but prefer the window sill near the bed and the bathroom floor. I use Borax traps which seem to have reduced their numbers, but I don't leave them out when people are here. 

Vacationed in south at beach at North Carolina...Palmettos we had to laugh at, learning from reading listings that essentially roaches were a regular occurrence in this holder home community...due to the weather..tropical...we were right next to South Carolina...

Sure enough, just like Maui home I stayed at with a friend of a friend/not an AirBnB, roaches in parking lots outside stores...big...extra big...and surprisingly fast moving...AWAY from us thankfully. 

Don't know how they did it but the bus conversion we rented to try out the space (were going smaller and smaller but wanting to build a cottage of sorts and try the living space) was cockroach/Palmetto Bug free.

I appreciated the heads up in each listing...I'm pretty comfortable with insects, find them interesting...but I am from areas that are not tropical so not comfortable with roaches surprising me in a home...I did admittedly choose a listing that did not mention Palmetto and skipped ones that did...and I saw no Palmetto in the bus rental so was very happy...they just make my heart stop since I'm not used to it...much like snakes here in Arkansas if you walk through a field with lots of tall hiding places..I sing a Snake Song and clap my hands to avoid that but I've only found them doing outside work like moving rocks/picking up a bag that has been there...

Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

@Dawn150   I get rid of antsby spraying the out door pipe entry to my cottage.  Ants dont live indoors, they wander in and if you have a lot, there is something they can get at.  In my case it was follow the trail to individual raisin  boxes among my snacks. Sink to raisons...entering house through water pipe;

spray outside with residual bug spray, remove raisons, done. 

Aimee158
Level 2
Loganville, GA

Hi Dawn, my listing is in Geogia. It is hot and rural. I have fought sugar ants. My pest guy calls them crazy ants because they don't seem to have a direct mission. I have found them trailing mostly in the bathroom ceilings.????

I have traps which I think do nothing. Found vinegar water works great.  I wash all the counters down. I also leave sliced lemon out on counters. Bugs hate lemon and cloves

I'm OCD clean and have even experienced a palmetto bug ( for non Georgia hosts- that's the name for giant flying cockroach!)  I'm talking big. I simply apologize, kill it. And then explain the bugs like the climate controled listing as much as us humans.

I am transparent about the need to put all dirty dishes in dishwasher. Thats in my house rules. Don't leave out old dirty pots or food. And please wipe up after serving meals. I put a big Thank you note in kitchen.  Sugar ants, crazy ants and the typical giant roach has nothing to do with cleanliness. I also have professional pest guy spray 4 times a year for prevention.

I think the more I experience and mature as a  host the  day to day hazards weigh less on me and I can except what is inevitable or statistically probable.  A bug in the house is inevitable. Laugh it off and  share with your guests life isn't perfect but you try to make it so.

P.s.

My little cat is a avid hunter and brings my Airbnb guests dead presents, moles, half  lizzards, birds, even a mouse. Usually placed strategically located on the front porch so you can't miss it!

I typically smile and look at the guest in the eye and say "check that amenity out" "see how much you get in this 5 star listing!  "   😉

Aimee,  4 year host

John7196
Level 2
Van Buren, AR

Disclose if products used would allow any chemicals to be on guest surfaces would be my vote. Many people live in ant free homes just as many live in ant recurrent homes. I've lived in both. 

Guests may want to make their own decisions about exposure to chemicals. 

Chemicals being human made...not vinegar which is not synthetic and not processed into something else, it comes as it is. If it has an MSDS Safety Sheet it's a chemical. Strangely enough 100% essential oils have an MSDS Safety Sheet, but that's because they can actually cause problems...like some types make the skin sensitive to sunburn, eye irritants etc...This is why some of my best selling body products have no added scents, not even E.O., because some people have sensitivities to 100% essential oil or synthetic human made fragrances. 

Not sure where best to put it really...but there are lots of areas where we can write about the space, consider typing it into one of the boxes that does not have a limit since seems a bit lower priority given how safe you plan to do it.

Ant traps are best along where the counter/surfaces meet the wall. This also reduces risks to guests of chemicals from the feet of ants making it out of traps back home if any work that way, can't remember. WATER is a big source for many ants and OLD construction. Our 1952 mobile home back then was an ant mansion...but the tiny Tetra? traps at big box stores kept it liveable for us...I like the idea someone had of putting them outside but not sure that works because they enjoy water inside inevitably around faucets in bathroom and kitchen...

Seeker ants are supposed to wander all over and then get back to communicate to the group so you'll always see some ants in weird places, it's in their DNA.

Personally loved playing with ants as a kid and find them fascinating...but not a fan in my home...do not miss having to wipe dry sink each time after use...and guests just won't be up for it when they finally get to vacation or exhausted moving cross country by car. 

Much success to you, thanks for sharing here