Do we need TV’s in all bedrooms?

Answered!
Meghan94
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Do we need TV’s in all bedrooms?

Hi All!

Super excited to have our first few booking and fantastic reviews!  Woot!

Briefly, we rent our beach home for the summer season.  We have a large TV in the living room, but don’t have any in the bedrooms.  My cousin has a nearly identical property next door and is insistent all bedrooms should have TV’s.  She’s a successful SuperHost with several properties...so I guess I should just take her advice!

We’re not big TV people, only have 1 in our permanent home so it’s just not something I’m accustomed to.  Just not sure if the investment of 5 smart TV’s is really worth it.

Thoughts?

1 Best Answer
Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

You need to consider your audience (guests), @Meghan94 , in order to determine the value of buying and installing TVs.  I have a TV in both the living room and bedroom.  My renters tend to skew middle age to older.  Often they are couples although I do have families and singles who book long term (7 - 21 days).  

During the post-visit inspection, I tend to notice that couples have utilized one or both units while others less so.  The TVs that I installed were older units that I had available.  I didn't purchase anything new.  Also, there are only broadcast channels provided and DVD players, so no added expense for cable/satellite.

I agree with @Anonymous  that you should take any extra funds to invest in improvements.  If you were to find that your guests are clamoring for TVs, you could go that route, but I suspect for a seasonal beach property, your guests are looking for other features.

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Sometimes, even 1 tv per guest is not enough. One of my listings has 5 tv's. There were 9 guests and she was a horrible one, complained of everything and even said "we had 9 guests so 5 tv's weren't enough".

She mentioned she was a blogger and traveler and sent me her website to show her credentials as if she knew more about hospitality then me. Meanwhile every review she has were from hosts in the USA. I much prefer hosting guests who have actually traveled outside the USA because then they realize that not every country in this world does things the same way and are more open minded.  I would love to add her to the blacklist of guests not to host.

In your case, if you just have 1 or 2 bedrooms, 1 tv in each bedroom should satisfy everyone but remember there are people you can just never satisfy, I would say about 2-5% of guests come with issues.

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

I think it depends on the makeup of your renters. If it is a space for a single family then maybe just the one tv is fine(however personally I wouldn’t stay anywhere that didn’t have a tv in my bedroom). However if you are a space that is an option for multiple families then multiple TVs would be useful. When my kids were in school we would frequently go in with another family to rent a place at the beach. While these were very good friends and we had travelled together over the years, I appreciated being able to retreat to my room at night and catch up on news or some mindless decorating show. Even at the beach, I want to go back to my room and veg. 

So ultimately after reading the comments. The Conclusion comes from a few comments. People get better reviews for having TVs in every room. No one complained about too many TVs but there were complaints about too few. Is the value of a good review more than the cost of a TV?

People on here like not having a TV and that is fine but you are ruling others to live by the hosts standards. and while good standards. they don't pay the host money so they can be taught a lesson in living.

Ask yourself this: these were my answers
Do I need a TV in every Room? Probably not
Will it deter some guests? yes
What is the use of the Property? I'm in Phoenix and stays can range from work to leisure and people of all ages. Usually somewhere in between. Business people will want to maybe watch the news while getting ready.
Will your guests be mad if they don't get a TV? this is my biggest question. my answer was yes but I'm in DT Phoenix. If it was a cabin close to a ski resort or a beachfront property I think the answer would be no

Here is a Tip for TV. They don't have to be the best. In my area, it is more cost effective Not to choose a network provider bundle. the Best is to automate your TVs with a roku devices(or any other smart TV/device combo) and download a premium tv streaming service like Youtube TV or Hulu live. you will save well over $30 a month in my area and connect the whole house with one great service. it can be advertised like motels use to advertise HBO

@Matt4595 wrote:

. No one complained about too many TVs but there were complaints about too few.  

Why would anyone complain? Last year I stayed in 2 airbnbs that had TVs in every room and all I did was roll my eyes. I wouldn't complain about it! It's the Gold Coast, tackiness is part of the vibe here, so TVs mounted on the walls of every room is the MO. My teens loved it....haha. 

Also, if they've read the listing properly (I know, I know, big ask!) they shouldn't get mad.