Do you decorate for the holidays in your AirBnb?

Answered!
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Do you decorate for the holidays in your AirBnb?

We have a little stone cottage in the woods that is almost fully booked through the end of the year. We had a booking today for a few days before Christmas (we are also booked over Christmas) and the guest said he was looking forward to spending the holiday season at our cottage and that it must look great over Christmas.

Though our space could be super cute with the halls all decked, I am wondering how much, if any, effort we should go to. Should we do a tree? Lights? Not everyone celebrates Christmas so I don't want to offend anyone. We have a record player and I found a couple vintage holiday records at a thrift store, but that was about the extent of what I was going to do. We don't always have a tree at our house...

Thoughts? What do you do in your hosted space?

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is a great topic @Laura2592 and one that I'm glad to learn more about. Seems generally hosts are conflicted as to whether to get the dec's up or not due to the diversity of their guests religious backgrounds. I wonder if the listing type may also influence this decision, also? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

28 Replies 28
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Laura2592 I have 2 properties that I rent out over Christmas and I always put up a tree and a few decorations. I put it up anytime after the 1st December and take it down before twelfth night.  I think it's really sad not to and if a pretty tree offends anyone, then too bad.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Yes, I do. Always did, always will. There's no way on earth I'd stop decorating my own home for Christmas - something I've done all my kids' lives - just because a guest might not like it, or may take offence to it.

If anyone is going to be offended by a few Christmas decorations, they'd probably be best off avoiding Ireland altogether from the end of November until the middle of January, because the entire country will be decorated from top to bottom, like one giant Santa's grotto, and I can't imagine that changing anytime soon. 

For the record, I haven't got a religious bone in my body 🙂

@Susan17  The OP, Laura, has an entire house listing. I don't think anyone would suggest that those of us who have private room listings in our own homes where we live shouldn't carry on decorating however we want. I'd certainly never take into consideration that a guest might be offended if I put up Xmas or Channukah decorations in my home that they're sharing. But if I had an entire home listing, I might not go all out for something the guests may or may not appreciate. The cleaner I had for 5 years is a Jehovah's Witness and they don't go in for that at all- not presents or decorations or anything- it's purely religious for them.

Not only am I not religious, I was brought up in a Jewish household. But when I was raising my daughters, we always had a Xmas tree, decorations, presents, the works. It was just fun and festive.

@Sarah977 

I hear you, but a couple of years ago, my guests stripped down every single decoration in my family home, (entire place booking), including the tree that my sons and I had literally spent hours decorating, and shoved the whole lot in the tiny cupboard under the stairs, ripping and breaking half of them in the process. It was a 2 day booking, and Christmas Day hadn't even happened yet. I was spitting fire! 

Nevertheless, I fished everything back out again, and put it all back up, much to the delight of my next guests, who were actually a Hindu family. Their kids absolutely loved the sparkly tree and all the twinkling lights all over the house. The vast majority of guests are open-minded and well-adjusted enough to respect and appreciate the culture and traditions of the countries that they choose to visit, thankfully. 

That was very rude for them to take down your decorations . It is not unusual for people to decorate with traditional items during the Christmas holidays. If they were  another faith or atheist that could have been discussed through messenger.  People have to remember they are staying in someone 's home.  If they do not want to be bothered by the owners items that is what a hotel is for.  Is there something within airbnb that states that guest are not allowed to rearrange homes or items?  I am curious?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Susan17  Hey, I would love it if I went to India and the hosts had decorated for a Hindu festival or went to anywhere and found the place decorated for that country's or religions' holidays.

How rude of those guests to take down your decorations and tree and break stuff, no less. People who are intolerant just shouldn't travel.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Laura2592 I sure do! I put up a small tree and some other decorations: nothing too crazy, but something. I love Christmas. Like so many extra things I do, no one has ever mentioned it one way or the other. No one has ever put decorations away or expressed offence. I'm going to keep doing it. I also leave small gifts for anyone staying close to Christmas: just choccies and booze and some other consumables, but it seems to go over well.

@Alexandra316, this is part of it. We always leave a little gift at check in, so I am wondering if we do a holiday theme with a tree, etc. if we need to up the gifts! Its usually a food item. so I don't know if we would wrap that as much of those need to be refrigerated. 

@Laura2592 I don't wrap them: I just write a little card, saying something like:

"Happy Holidays! Hope you enjoy these and the X in the fridge with out compliments. Have a wonderful stay!"

That way it's kind of clear that it's a gift. I also allow doggy guests so I wouldn't wrap anything edible and put it under the tree in case they decided it was meant for them.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is a great topic @Laura2592 and one that I'm glad to learn more about. Seems generally hosts are conflicted as to whether to get the dec's up or not due to the diversity of their guests religious backgrounds. I wonder if the listing type may also influence this decision, also? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Our cottage is largely a seasonal summer rental but with guests coming for Thanksgiving, I’ve added flameless candles, ornamental reindeer, seasonal throw pillows and although I prefer real trees, I’m putting up an artificial 7.5 foot Christmas tree.

I have my house booked for xmas this year and they would like to pay me to setup a tree and decorations. They want to know how much it will cost. Any thoughts on what to charge?

@Bruce172  Depends on how big a tree, how much the tree and decorations cost, and the amount of time it would entail for you. Hard to give you a number.

Joeleana0
Level 1
Fayetteville, TN

I LOVE Christmas decor.