Do you have books for your guests?

Answered!
Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

Do you have books for your guests?

Curious if other hosts have reading material/books for their guests, in my case I love reading books, and pictured below is the little library in  my guests cottage. several of my guests have mentioned how wonderful it was that they were able to read a book during their retreat.

I have found that having books are great for long and short term stay guests and also I have noticed they are read more frequently in rainy and snow filled days.

Share your book story and or picture of your library.

IMG_7315.JPG

Rubén
1 Best Answer
Michelle1164
Level 10
Clearwater, KS

@Rubén16 This is my first time commenting in the community but have done lots of reading on the forum. My husband and I started hosting a room in our home in September 2018. I like seeing that others have books and games for their guests to read and play. Right outside our guest bedroom we have a bookshelf that guests are free to take and/or leave a book. However, in the family room we have a personal collection of books that guests are free to read while here. 

I am also a lover of board games, so have placed a shelf full of games out for people to enjoy while here.

6377771F-36CE-45D5-8A40-1FFB83F6E24C.jpeg

1867F95F-EDF2-4764-B233-3C6BFD760F27.jpeg

“It’s not where you go, it’s who you meet along the way.” Wizard of Oz

View Best Answer in original post

60 Replies 60

@Ben551 If I lived in ANZ, I would buy as many of the "Popular Penguins" with the orange covers as I could afford:  https://www.penguin.com.au/books/brands/popular-penguins

I have a set of mugs I found in London, and as many vintage orange Penguins as I've been able to collect over the years, but neither Penguin US nor Penguin UK really produces the wonderful orange Penguins anymore.  I'm so jealous!!!!

09-minimoon-768x512@2x.jpg

@Ben551  I think @Sandra126 's list is great. I have pretty diverse taste in genres, myself- I can read pretty much anything as long as I like the writng style. For a guest library, I'd have a couple books from many genres- mystery,  thrillers, fantasy, literary fiction, humor, anything local to your area or NZ in general, and non-fiction. My favorite humor writer is Christopher Moore- his imagination is awesome and he's SO funny. The Gospel According to Biff, and Fluke being his best, IMO.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Sarah977 @Sandra126 @Ann72 Perfect, thanks folks! I’m going to head to a secondhand bookshop and tick a few things off, so that gives me a great list to follow 🙂 you’re the best

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Ben551, great that you are getting books. I mainly put in my own, but for a specific short stay location I would have:

Short stories to dip into

Local history and interesting local nonfiction

Nonfiction in general are good for quick dips

Some romantic poetry guests can read to each other

Really odd old books, the odder the better. Anything that stimulates the imagination.

Fun books,  you know the kind. Faulty english, odd signs around the world sort of thing.

Photography books and other picture books for grown ups.

But everything is good.

David3610
Level 3
Arvada, CO

We have a shelf with a few books but I don't think they have been touched in months. At the very least, they act as decoration

@David3610 :):):)  Well, books are very decorative indeed!

Michelle-And-Michael0
Level 10
Wollongong, Australia

@Rubén16 I'm Really enjoying this thread! It's great to see and hear others suggestions. 

Although it's not a large collection, we have a shelved wall in the small room in our Studio which houses mostly books and magazines.... 

I will try and take a photo later when I have access. 

We do supply cards and so far, just 2 board games. I've been meaning to add more.... and am inspired to do so after reading this thread. 

@Ben551 to add some genres to the great list that @Sandra126 suggested.....

Travel Books.... something a little different with great photography (we have The Road less travelled)

1001 places to See ( Eat.... etc etc ) before you die. 

Art Books.... I am an artist, so it's the first thing I look for when browsing book shelves.

Interior design magazines and/or books.

Crosswords/Puzzles/Sudoku magazines.

We try to have something that caters to most tastes.....

Our collection even includes a Bird Identification book, for the bird lovers! 

Our Studio is only a small space.... but we're often surprised with how many people come to stay and spend so much time inside, regardless of the weather. Some guests just want to unwind and relax, so having books, magazines, games, DVD's and CDs etc are a must. 

Our DVD and CD collection is quite large (120 of each).... but we got rid of all the covers and put them into Folders. Nice and compact, and they fit into a drawer. Easy to search.... and again, something for everyone's taste. 

@Michelle-And-Michael0  It would be great to see some of your art work, I also like your idea of travel books and books with great photography, many people love to look at pictures:)

Rubén

@Rubén16 Yes, definitely.... I'm a visual kind of a girl. I Love looking at pictures 😉

You can see some of my art on my Instagram account michelle.dubois.art

Also, I do love your name.... Ruben is our 4 year old grandsons name too! It's not very common in Australia 🙂 

@Michelle-And-Michael0  It is a small world "Ruben" who knows when he grows up he might start putting an accent mark on top of the "é" on his name? 🙂 

Rubén

@Ann72 @David3610  @Ben551  @Sarah977  and all others on this forum, if you have not done so, do take a look at @Michelle-And-Michael0 listing !! it is amazing.

It is a perfect example of how to present a listing on Airbnb. 

- Perfect, sharp photos

-Guests Reviews incorporated into the photo description.

-Clean and uncluttered

-Distance to beach only (7) minutes  stated under beach photo picture.

-And much more

I am very impressed @Michelle-And-Michael0  your listing is now #1 on my places to visit:)

Rubén

@Rubén16 , so you're saying we're all slackers.  I get it.  You think you know people, you know?

JK!

Actually, I saved @Michelle-And-Michael0 's listing a couple of months ago.  Agree that it's a model listing and they seem like wonderful hosts.  

With all the Aussies and Kiwis on this board, I can tell that I'm going to have to block out quite a bit of time when I do go to ANZ!

That's lovely to know @Ann72 Thank you..... You'd be welcome anytime! 

It's well worth the trip Downunder 🙂

@Rubén16Thank you for taking the time to look, and your kind words.... so nice of you to say.

You would be welcome anytime!!

I have to admit, I don't very often look at other hosts listings.... I might have to do that myself sometime too.

We are actually planning on revamping our listing shortly.... we haven't given it much attention lately, and we've changed a few things inside, hopefully for the better. Always looking to improve. That's why I enjoy the Community Forum so much.... a lot of great ideas are shared here! 

Have a great day 🙂

@Michelle-And-Michael0Oh fantastic job of your listing there, I really love it.  I bet the SEO engine loves it too, very clear and easy for an engine to crawl... I went techy didn't I.  Sorry... *blush*