Do you iron sheets?

Answered!
Angie601
Level 4
Victoria, Australia

Do you iron sheets?

Hi everyone

I'm new to hosting with my little cottage being listed for the past 3 months.

I want my guests to enjoy a 5 star stay so I take particular care with my bedding and I iron my linens.

My friends tell me I'm crazy and some that are also hosts tell me just to iron the top of the sheets that guests see.

I'm interested to know what others do.

Thank you for your feedback. 

Angie

2 Best Answers
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I'm all for ironing, all top quality cotton. But this discussion has been had in great depth before, there are several long threads on it.  Many hosts will think it's insane to iron but you do you. Guests will adore it. 

View Best Answer in original post

@Angie601 "I also touch up when I put the sheet on the bed"

As you're a new host, I will check in with you about a year from now, to see if you are still ironing the sheets. 😉

View Best Answer in original post

25 Replies 25
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Yes, I make my mother iron the sheets and pillowcases. It’s her only contribution to the Airbnb business and considering she keeps all the money, I feel it necessary. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Angie601 

I used to iron everything in the beginning, which was very time consuming. Now I iron the pillowcases before making the bed and then iron the sheet/duvet cover on the bed. I doubt that guests have noticed the difference. I don't think most guests notice that the linens have been ironed, but I do believe it does make a difference to their first impression (even if they only register it subconsciously). An inviting looking and comfortable bed is probably the most important element of the bedroom.

With the pillowcases, I usually iron them when they come out of the washing machine and then line dry them. It's quicker and easier to remove the creases and cuts down on the drying time.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Answer: sometimes.  We have a mix of 100% cotton sheets, blends and light weight synthetic.  We ultimately found that using all cotton all the time was just too labor intensive.

Sometimes I iron the pillow cases and the top of the top sheet when using the cotton sheets, but people don't seem to notice or care.  The last time I ironed the beautiful white cotton sheets the guest had some kind of cut or nose bleed and left blood stains on the pillow, the decorate pillow sham!!! and the sheets.  She's also the same dozen 5 star reviews guest who melted the tea kettle spout.

@Mark116  Okay, I'm really curious- how does one melt a tea kettle spout?

@Sarah977 Right?  They said they had no idea, 'but we used the stove and oven so if it was on the stove maybe that's what happened'?????????  Surely they must have smelled the melting plastic.  But, I really can't work out the logistics, if the handle were melted then I could assume it was knocked over and the gas flame burned it, but the spout is in the middle of the kettle so it would have to be a really awkward 'whatever' to burn only the spout and not the handle.  I responded to her that yes, indeed, the kettle was sitting on the stovetop where it had been stationed undamaged for at least 3 years.

Of course they didn't offer to pay, and this was one of those guests who on paper seemed like she would be great...older midwestern woman meeting her college age children, lots of great reviews.  They weren't quite a nightmare, but the son checked himself in an hour early without even asking or showing any gratitude.  They took about a day to respond to anything unless they wanted something.  They also ruined a towel and during 'whatever' they did with the stove also managed to drip grease between the double paned oven door, which I guess we will have to drill it out to be cleaned.

@Mark116  Sorry, but I still don't get it. Why is there plastic on the tea kettle spout ? Every tea kettle I've ever seen is all metal. Do you mean a tea pot? If so, those plastic spout sleeves they come with are meant to be removed- they are only there to keep the spout from getting chipped in transit.

@Sarah977  No, it's a stove top tea kettle.  Most of the ones at least sold in the US have a plastic covering on the handle and the spout is often plastic.  This was a kitchenaid brand so not cheap.  It was enamel over stainless with a plastic top on the spout which is what melted.  I'll see if I can find a photo.

@Mark116  Strange. I can't imagine why they would use plastic on something you would put on a stove burner with a fire under it. Seems rather silly, like wooden candle holders, a seriously dangerous idea.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Mark116  Ah. I guess it's some sort of heat-proof plastic. But still seems silly to use plastic on something one heats up on the stovetop.

@Sarah977  Ha.  But they make wooden candle holders too.  Yes, we put out our old back up kettle into the Airbnb which is all metal except the handle.   I guess they put the plastic on the handle so it stays cooler.  No idea why so many kettle designs have the spout also as plastic...the one we use ourselves is the same, stainless, plastic handle and the spout is also plastic.  But, yes I agree it's not the best idea, but presumably, 99.9% of users don't find away to melt the plastic or they wouldn't do it.