Electric Bills

Electric Bills

Our electric bill went through the roof last month (3x the norm!). I can't even imagine what guests were doing except cranking the AC during the heat wave (while leaving a door open???).

That said, would you advise setting up the thermostat so that guests may not change the settings?

Please advise and thank you!

—Leigh

2 Replies 2

Hi @Leigh625 

Most Hosts purchase a WiFi Thermostat that can be controlled remotely via an App on your phone. The Emerson Sensi ST55 is a good one around $115. Others use Nest or Honeywell. You can set a temperature range that guests cannot exceed, like min temp 70F and max temp 72F for heating (or whatever range you want). Some can also sense motion and when none detected after a certain period of time will turn off the AC.

I have been hearing horror stories about guests who stay at an Airbnb explicityly to do "crypto mining" (bitcoin) which uses alot of electricity to run the various computers 24/7 to do it. Some hosts have added a "No crypto mining" to their House Rules and add that electricity over whatever is usual & customary will be charged to the guest.

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Leigh625 

I use  Wi-fi control the Nest that I manage on my phone.  The other thing is if it is unusual and that much higher, I suggest a review because yes could of been an inconsiderate guest but 3x is very inconsiderate.  Maybe just call the electric company and see if they will just do a mid session meter read so you are warned if next month is that high again and that something is not functioning correctly.  Power companies are usually receptive if you tell them just trying to identify if a problem.  If they do charge a meter reader is cheaper then an electrician,