Eliminating Marijuana Odor

Eliminating Marijuana Odor

Ughh!!!! My last guest(s) smoked weed during their stay in our listing. Our listing policies clearly stated no smoking in unit and or surrounding areas.  Now the unit has a lingering marijuana odor. My next guest are due to check-in in less than 30 hrs.

I did detect the smell during my last guest stay and reached out to them inquiring if something had burned (food in microwave..etc..). The odor was coming into the garage (garage shares a wall with the unit). I reminded the guest that there is no smoking, no exceptions as stated in our listing house rules.  Guest stated they burned popcorn in the microwave etc... and fully aware/repectful of the house rules. I gave them the benefit of the doubt.  But then I smelled it again the following day. I went back to my cameras (yes, they are properly disclosed per Airbnb guidelines) and noticed the guest(s) lighting up just outside the unit at 12:22 a.m..

They checked out early in the morning and when I went to check on unit the first thing that hits you is the marijuana odor.  It's not burnt popcorn. I know the difference (I had teenage boys that dabbled in weed so I am familiar with the smell/scent). 

We opened up windows,  have the ceiling fan going, and have set out bowls of vinegar in hopes of eliminating the odor before our next guest arrive. Surprisingly,  they did leave the unit clean 😏

Anyone have any suggestions??

5 Replies 5
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Ana2038  this happened in my house once after a long stay of three overseas tradies . I swear they must have had tons of it in the house in their last week because I cleaned weekly all the way through. We had to wash the walls in the end, every one, just to get back to normal .Send them an extra cleaning fee and get a large bucket and cloths with any simple household soap or a light amount of a wall cleaning product . Start with the stinkiest room . generally a bedroom. H

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Ana2038 

Get a local company that can do steam cleaning I have 2 companies I can contact if it ever happened to us, They will clean the walls and curtains and it gets into the A/C so a lot of extra cleaning then you can get invoices to submit your claim I dont think you can just say to airbnb you did it all,

Other than that you should buy a small ozone machine from Amazon they work wonders,

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would get a cleaning company in to do a special clean and send a request for the extra cleaning. Hopefully there is evidence of smoking in the garage you can use to back up your claim.

best Helen 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Ana2038   For the future, order a commercial ozone machine on Amazon - about $80.  I use this between 90% of my guests, especially those with pets or incredibly strong perfumes, and it is wonderful at ridding my property of odors.  (And yes, even weed.)

@Lorna170 , I ordered one today. I'll be using that from now on in between guest stays.

Thank you!!