French Door Lock Suggestions

Judith1013
Level 1
Nashville, TN

French Door Lock Suggestions

I want keyless entry for my guests on the wooden antique french doors (in-swinging) on porch.  (From inside there is a floor and ceiling sliding lock on each door) Any thoughts on how to securing it when a guest is gone?  Has anyone tackled this, and is it even possible?  

2 Replies 2
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Judith1013 

I just typed your question in a internet search and got lots of reputable companies offering different types specifically for a hinged patio door

Hi Judith,

To achieve keyless entry for your antique French doors while maintaining security, consider using a smart deadbolt or an electronic mortise lock.

A smart deadbolt can be installed above or below the existing antique lock, allowing you to preserve the door's original look while adding keyless entry functionality. If your doors already have mortise-style locks, replacing them with electronic versions might be suitable, as these often come with both keypad and traditional key options.

Alternatively, surface-mounted keypad locks can be added to the interior side of the door, which will not alter the door's exterior appearance.

Another option is to use a lever handle designed to fit with the aesthetic of French doors, which can integrate with smart lock technology for a seamless look.

For securing the doors when guests are gone, you can use smart locks with auto-lock features, ensuring the doors lock automatically after a set time. Remote monitoring capabilities allow you to check the lock status and control access from anywhere, providing peace of mind. Adding a security strike plate or reinforcing the doorframe can further enhance security, making the doors more resistant to forced entry.

Choosing a smart lock that complements the antique look of the doors and doesn't require significant modifications is key. It's also important to ensure the chosen lock is weatherproof, given the porch location, and that it has a reliable power source, whether through batteries or hardwiring.

Consulting with a professional locksmith experienced in smart home technology and antique door hardware could provide further guidance, ensuring that the integration of modern security measures is done effectively and preserves the door's historical integrity.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Upfish Management