Giving guests instructions in the flat

Answered!
Moira129
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Giving guests instructions in the flat

How do I politely put a note on some cupboards, asking that they are not available?

Thanks

Top Answer
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Moira129 

Sometimes spinning it into a positive is better. You can mark the cupboards guests *can* use with “For Guest Use” or something similar.

You can also lock the cupboards you don’t want guests to use, since some guests don’t read, or listen.🫤 However, too much locking up can be annoying for guests.

I notice that you have an “Entire place” property. Removing or keeping your personal possessions in as few locked places as possible and leaving almost all areas available for guest use is preferable to help them feel like the place is “theirs”.

View Top Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Moira129 

Sometimes spinning it into a positive is better. You can mark the cupboards guests *can* use with “For Guest Use” or something similar.

You can also lock the cupboards you don’t want guests to use, since some guests don’t read, or listen.🫤 However, too much locking up can be annoying for guests.

I notice that you have an “Entire place” property. Removing or keeping your personal possessions in as few locked places as possible and leaving almost all areas available for guest use is preferable to help them feel like the place is “theirs”.

Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Hello Moira129.
We keep all of our personal items, in locked cabinets in the garage. It may be easier for you to have all of your favorite items in one place-  away from the guests. 

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

There’s no way to politely do this. Humans by nature are curious. So when they see “do not open”, “do not use”, etc. , it invites them to do just the opposite. Just remove anything you don’t want used from the premises. Easy, peasy, and peace of mind. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gwen386 

I might be wrong, but judging by the toys and family photos in the space, this is not a stand alone rental, but @Moira129 's home. So, removing everything you don't want guests to use before every stay is simply not practical, especially if you do not have another property/somewhere else to lock it up.

Space in London is very limited compared to most places in the USA and apartments here do not normally come with garages or any other external storage, nor do most people have lock ups etc. You would need £tens of thousands to buy  (or £hundreds a month to rent) a garage here, but a lot more in a central location.

@Moira129 I hate signs and post it notes stuck up around the place, and would rather explain these things directly to guests, e.g. in the house rules, or in person if you sometimes do in person check ins.

I like Pat's idea of the positive spin. I don't tell my guests not to open certain cupboards, I just show them where to find the things they need in the cupboards they're welcome to access. Then again, I am a homeshare host, so it's unusual for guests to nose around too much. If you are not there, then for sure, people are going to look inside your cupboards. The only way to prevent that is to lock them.

Kevin1718
Level 2
Ashbourne, Ireland

There is no polite way, would suggest either

1. Locking with proper locks

2. Remove everything to a garage or similar

3. Use child locks, if the guests don't get the message a post it note on the inside of the cabinet door