Guest Sleeping Habits

Louise18
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

Guest Sleeping Habits

I have noticed that some guests do not sleep between the sheets. Instead they sleep between the top sheet and the bedspread. Can anyone shed some light on this. I have replaced my original bedspreads (dry clean only) with the washing maching variety. Thanks

46 Replies 46

p.s. I should clarify.....

@Susan151 wrote:

@Trina-And-Paul0 wrote:

Sorry, I am in the camp that believes that everything on the bed must be washed

Sorry, I am in the camp that believes that everything on the bed that the guest or their stuff can touch, must be washed.

So do you really think hotels wash their bedspreads & comforters after each guest? Think again.

@Brent112  I remember reading once that hotels generally only wash the bedspreads a few times a year. The first thing I always do if checking into a motel or hotel is remove the bedspread to a chair or the closet shelf, and wash my hands 🙂

@Trina-And-Paul0  I'm not sure that the guests who do this are trying to make as little impact as possible, or it's just a reflection of how they live at home. I've known and noticed many young men who tend to sleep anywhere without regard for any sort of bedding situation we'd consider normal- they'll fall asleep on the couch every night with just a blanket, no bottom or top sheet, there's no ick factor as far as the couch being dirty, or they'll sleep in the clothes they've been wearing all day. And seemingly have no concept of what a bath mat might be for. They'll also grab what is obviously a fresh clean tea towel, or a clean towel off the stack to mop up something they spilled on the floor, instead of using a paper towel, a sponge or a rag. 

If you are finding this bedding situation and bath mat ignoring is a problem for you, I'd definitely instruct guests as to how you intend these things to be used.

@Sarah977  I believe I read something similar about Hotels and their bedspreads. Major Ick Factor!
And I totally agree about young men and their sleeping habits as we have 5 sons, now grown. However, the gentleman who stayed with us last night hardly even touched anything. If it wasn't for the 1 towel hung perfectly on the back of the door, and the little Hidey Hole he crawled out of in the bed, you'd never know he had been here! (Oh, and the little puddle on the floor.) He even put the seat down! LOL! And we've had more than a few guests of this type. I've even had people remake the bed to perfection before they leave. Oh well, at least the place isn't trashed. Had that happen once...YIPES!

Trina~

@Trina-And-Paul0  I had one 28 year old male guest like that. He stayed 4 nights and I couldn't even tell anyone had stayed in there- bed made perfectly, floor swept, bathroom immaculate. He had even brought the little bag of garbage from the bathroom down and asked me where to put it. Only tell-tale sign was the one used towel hanging up out of the 2 bath towels and one hand towel I'd given him and the heavy scent of his Axe spray deodorant 🙂

Somebody trained him well.

I make the bed before I leave somewhere. I know it seems like an odd thing to do, I just think it's respectful for the person who is coming in to make up the room even though it isn't any help at all to them.

I also leave used towels in the bath and tie up the bin bag. 

Sometimes guests do this because they just don't want you to think they are a pleb  I guess 😕

@Brent112 I don't think what a hotel does is that relevant. Just because they are nasty doesn't mean that MY home has to be as well. I want to treat my rooms the same way I would want them to be treated for me.

I might add that the hotels that I used to work in, in fact, did wash the bed covers between guests.

Certainly the very high-end hotels do. If your rental is also high end, I guess you should, too.

I've had the same thing. But it's random guests, not any particular culture. Most of my guests are american. I was thinking that somehow they think it's cleaner - they think that maybe they're the ONLY ones doing this. So they aren't sleeping on what everyone else is sleeping on -- sheets. It's a bit odd, and a little frustrating when I make effort to iron sheets, etc. If  I can't wash bed spread/duvet I will put it in the drier to heat sanitize it. The heat of the drier is actually, as I understand, what kills things...you know. And the heat can remove scent (with a bit of steam) from perfume, etc. 

Heat can also permanently set smells (think BO) & stains. Be careful.

...AND Lysol! 

Trina~

Most Europeans don't bother with a sheet under the duvet generally, and we always wash the cover instead.

That way we can turn the duvet over and get another month out of it 😉  That was a joke, ish.

We provide a top sheet as well to cover all bases, as some cultures like that.

So for each bed our wash is duvet cover, top and bottom sheets, pillowcases, towels.  At least it's predictable and consistent

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

There are cultural differences, but there is another factor-time and evolution. The most common, regular bed, now looks very different then the 18 century bed, even different from the bed in the late 60's of the last century. Just for a guidelight-if you can find your bedding style in the IKEA catalog, it's OK. If you can't find it there...it's probably outdated and needs some change.

Sad, but very true.

Communist flat pack furniture sold as a side-line by a globalist meatballs shop with a massive car park has become the new benchmark.

We all have a Billy Bookcase now.

@Dimitar27 Am proud to report that the only Ikea item in my house is a stainless steel pot and no guest has ever complained about the furnishings or decor 🙂