Guest didnt provide Passport, Airbnb cancelled the reservation for fee

Güner1
Level 1
İstanbul, Turkey

Guest didnt provide Passport, Airbnb cancelled the reservation for fee

2-3 months ago, one of our guest didnt wanted to provide ID/Passport, and cancelled the reservation. And get full refund. I sent airbnb all laws that says "All guests should provide ID/Passport to stay in short term rentals, and needed to be reported to government". Actually it is same in any country in the world i guess. But airbnb said, i should write "Guests should present ID or Passport" to my listing. It was very unexpected, to write something in my listing with is also inline with the laws. My opinion, something coming from the laws should not be needed to added to listing since everyone should know the laws according to nature of the laws. When you are in court, you can not say "I dont know the laws". 

2 Replies 2
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Güner1  All countries may have different requirements as to what form of ID is required and therefore I suspect it would be difficult for Airbnb to provide different rules etc for all of them.  You do however have some control within your ‘Booking Settings’ as to what your individual requirements are.  You could also specify that Passport ID is required in your pre-booking message in order to dispel any doubt on the matter.  In any case, you probably ‘dodged a bullet’ with that guest if they were unwilling to provide your requested ID.

I understand the point of view, but when we go to abroad, we are considered as "Knowing the laws" even we are tourists. Laws are always there. And writing "Provide ID" is not logical for this reason. Because against is crime. And if i write everything not permitted in the apartment (Like, no drug production, do not beat people, do not break the windos, do not take TV with you while leaving etc) it will be huge set. Laws are here because of this.