Guest requests for ethernet connectivity?

Answered!
Jean118
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

Guest requests for ethernet connectivity?

So I am getting a few inquires, to my surprise amidst this downturn in Airbnb bookings- - this latest inquiry came with a question, asking if the home has a router that guest can connect to via Ethernet cable - -interestingly this is the second inquiry from a guest wanting ethernet connectivity ( Is this a 'thing' now? ) I have ample enough wifi connection speed, and recently installed an Eero system to amplify the wifi even more -

1 Best Answer

Yes! This is definitely a thing now... With the longevity of the current pandemic many people have resorted to working remotely aka working from home. I’m currently working from home while staying in a Bnb apartment and it was a huge struggle to set up the Ethernet connection. It wasn’t any fault to my host but they weren’t entirely sure about how the whole work form home Ethernet thing works either. They just knew they had fast WiFi lol. However Ethernet isn’t exactly WiFi it’s just internet connection that is via the wall coil unit in an apartment or house. It’s literally the little cable outlet that’s in the shape of a coil , most of the time it’s used to connect the cable box to the television. If you connect it your modem and connect the modem to your computer’s hard drive you will be able to connect to the Ethernet and thus be able to surf the web same as WiFi. It’s hardwired internet using a cable that’s all. Get into it , set it up, have a tech person make sure it’s working properly and advertise it in your listing... many people are looking for this right now , it’s a huge commodity at the moment. 

Also if anyone knows more about the Ethernet connection/wfh or anything related please respond to this! I’m currently thinking of testing the whole process from a hotel to see if you can get Ethernet connection from a hotel room.  If you know please anything about this please enlighten me!

-Cheers-

View Best Answer in original post

33 Replies 33
Ricardo1251
Level 1
New York, NY

Besides security, a computer connected to the internet via an ethernet cable is securer and faster than one connected via WIFI. At the moment, I am looking on AirBNB to rent an apartment where I can connect to the router with an ethernet cable because I work from home in a job where I am doing many video calls with clients. I have found and others doing my job have found that the connection is dropped more frequently via WIFI than with an ethernet cable connection.  Here is an article about this: https://www.tmcnet.com/topics/articles/2020/01/27/444323-ethernet-vs-wifi.htm

The request for ethernet is because we that work from home are required to be hardwired. We would like to be able to go to family/class reunions, funerals and what not without having to sacrifice our pto/wellness/vacation time or our coins.

Yes! This is definitely a thing now... With the longevity of the current pandemic many people have resorted to working remotely aka working from home. I’m currently working from home while staying in a Bnb apartment and it was a huge struggle to set up the Ethernet connection. It wasn’t any fault to my host but they weren’t entirely sure about how the whole work form home Ethernet thing works either. They just knew they had fast WiFi lol. However Ethernet isn’t exactly WiFi it’s just internet connection that is via the wall coil unit in an apartment or house. It’s literally the little cable outlet that’s in the shape of a coil , most of the time it’s used to connect the cable box to the television. If you connect it your modem and connect the modem to your computer’s hard drive you will be able to connect to the Ethernet and thus be able to surf the web same as WiFi. It’s hardwired internet using a cable that’s all. Get into it , set it up, have a tech person make sure it’s working properly and advertise it in your listing... many people are looking for this right now , it’s a huge commodity at the moment. 

Also if anyone knows more about the Ethernet connection/wfh or anything related please respond to this! I’m currently thinking of testing the whole process from a hotel to see if you can get Ethernet connection from a hotel room.  If you know please anything about this please enlighten me!

-Cheers-

It's definitely a real thing for me. I'm looking for an Airbnb in the Tampa area with good internet and an ethernet connection.

Myrina0
Level 1
Wayzata, MN

I am also looking for Airbnbs with high speed internet that can connect to via Ethernet cable. Just as others started, my work requires a cable connection and I cannot have the slight lapses that occur with wi-fi video conferencing because I am a court reporter and need to hear every word. I will plan my location based off this one feature. If anyone has an Airbnb with high speed upload and download direct ethernet connection, please let me know. 

I know your comment is old but I’m also going to school to be a court reporter. In your opinion what is the best theory to learn. Thanks!

Sarah4046
Level 1
Walnut Creek, CA

Some people have electro-sensitivity where wifi can generate severe physical pain (migraines, etc, etc).  However, an ethernet cord eliminates the wifi radiation and allows them to still have connectivity.  And yes, it is a 'real thing'.   I am one of those folks who DO ask for ethernet options.

hey Sarah - - you know of any spots in the Bay Area with wired ethernet?  I stay in hotels there sometimes and would prefer to check out some AirBnb

Ashley1222
Level 1
Wichita, KS

I am looking for several places to work from home while i travel over the next 3 months. Because of my employer i need to be able to hardwire in to take phone calls. Im not having much luck so i was interested while coming across this conversation. 

@Ashley1222   AirBnB does not have a checkbox for Ethernet -- they believe everyone has and uses WiFi.  Simply inquire of the host as to whether or not the modem is accessible, near the home office area and has an ethernet port.  Carry your own long RJ45 cable.  

I provided an RJ45 cable in my properties for years until WiFi became "standard" on most laptops.  I still have the cables, but they are stored away in a drawer. If asked, I let my guest know that they will need a cable of X length to work comfortably.  

i have a 50' ethernet cord. I asked folks in advance if they would have a problem with me using this to connect to the back of the modem... as I recall, this approach was not successful. I would want to know if a guest needed this ahead of time, as the cord might have to cross a walkway . . . what do you think?

Wifi 5GHz or 2.4GHz is completely fine for VoIP phone calls. There's no need for a direct ethernet connection.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Ashley1222  Folks requiring ethernet connectivity should find out if the accommodation provides access to its own dedicated router where one can connect the cable, and where it won't impact other users of that network.   

I have a separate space in my house for guest use, and I provide access to a Guest Wifi network, with its own security monitoring e.g. spam filters. I won't allow direct connectivity via an ethernet cable to my main router due to potential security issues. 

Folks who are employed and working remotely from their own homes are often connecting to secured corporate networks,  or VPNs.   One shouldn't expect the same level of secure connectivity in someone else's  private home.

It might be a better option to find one of those shared workspaces for the times when one needs secured, dedicated  connections. 

it would be nice if we could filter for "wired ethernet" then

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

I've been asked the same from a couple guests but I just tell them we have extremely fast wifi. Ethernet is overkill. Meaning, it's fast but unnecessarily fast when it comes to accessing the internet. You usually don't need an internet speed greater than 250mbps. This means a 5GHz wifi router, which supports up to 1300mbps (https://socialwifi.com/knowledge-base/wifi-technology/difference-between-24-and-5-ghz-wifi/), is fast enough to make full use of the internet service.