Guest requests for ethernet connectivity?

Answered!
Jean118
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

Guest requests for ethernet connectivity?

So I am getting a few inquires, to my surprise amidst this downturn in Airbnb bookings- - this latest inquiry came with a question, asking if the home has a router that guest can connect to via Ethernet cable - -interestingly this is the second inquiry from a guest wanting ethernet connectivity ( Is this a 'thing' now? ) I have ample enough wifi connection speed, and recently installed an Eero system to amplify the wifi even more -

1 Best Answer

Yes! This is definitely a thing now... With the longevity of the current pandemic many people have resorted to working remotely aka working from home. I’m currently working from home while staying in a Bnb apartment and it was a huge struggle to set up the Ethernet connection. It wasn’t any fault to my host but they weren’t entirely sure about how the whole work form home Ethernet thing works either. They just knew they had fast WiFi lol. However Ethernet isn’t exactly WiFi it’s just internet connection that is via the wall coil unit in an apartment or house. It’s literally the little cable outlet that’s in the shape of a coil , most of the time it’s used to connect the cable box to the television. If you connect it your modem and connect the modem to your computer’s hard drive you will be able to connect to the Ethernet and thus be able to surf the web same as WiFi. It’s hardwired internet using a cable that’s all. Get into it , set it up, have a tech person make sure it’s working properly and advertise it in your listing... many people are looking for this right now , it’s a huge commodity at the moment. 

Also if anyone knows more about the Ethernet connection/wfh or anything related please respond to this! I’m currently thinking of testing the whole process from a hotel to see if you can get Ethernet connection from a hotel room.  If you know please anything about this please enlighten me!

-Cheers-

View Best Answer in original post

33 Replies 33
Andrea-and-Glenn0
Level 10
Mill Bay, Canada

We There are lots of logical reasons why guests will want to use a “wired” connection rather than using wifi and I found this good article that highlights the uses for Ethernet. Quite simply it’s faster, more powerful, more reliable and provides better access to your guests. We provide an Ethernet Cable for our Guests, and the modem is readily accessible in the unit so it’s just proving good customer service. If your wifi modem is not inside the guest suite, then running wires may be an issue. 

https://mashable.com/article/use-ethernet-instead-of-wi-fi/

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/wi-fi-vs-ethernet-which-should-you-use-and-why/

Hope this helps.

Glenn 

Mill Bay Cottage

Work - If I can work from your property I'd have the option to say longer. Some Jobs require an ethernet connection. 

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I don't think it's a thing. Could be that their wifi card in laptop is shot and they need cable or maybe they'll want to stream some 4k movies. Ethernet will be faster for the foreseeable future. I've got TP Powerline adaptors in all the bedrooms and at the workdesk. They're pretty cheap and in addition to extending Wi-Fi to the other rooms, they all have ethernet connections. They won't help speed junkies but will let a cable plug in.

Jean118
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

Didn’t know it was quite that simple- will get a long ethernet cable cord, then— hate it has to be a lengthy cord but it still should be faster than wifi

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Personally, I hate cables. If you're ok with them then it's the cheapest option. If you want to achieve the "wired connection" just for the sake of being a wired connection I'd go with the TP Powerline. If you search for tp powerline starter kit you'll get a few options to pick from, the one with all the bells and whistles is around 90 bucks and goes down from there. It comes with one unit you plug in and connect via cable to your router and another unit you slap into any outlet in your house. Then the guest can plug their cable into it no matter where it's at, and it can be moved around also. Good luck.

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Jean118  A couple possible reasons:

• The person is a gamer and wants the fastest connection possible

• Believes 5G and/or wifi is not healthy. There is some data that wifi is not good for you but you also have some conspiracy theorists believing that 5G causes Coronavirus.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Wifi is generally for small mobile devices. Multiple negative factors are in the game - like interference with other routers.
Cable connection is for work, gaming, etc.

Work - If I can work from your property I'll stay Longer. 

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Dimitar27  Wifi is used all the time for many things beyond mobile devices. I think your use of "generally" is incorrect. We have wifi and it runs multiple TV's, computers, cameras, security systems, gaming and all at the same time. 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

I mean for "Airbnb purposes".

Controlling the fridge temperature, AC, boiler or the washing machine start time via WIFI is possible, but very few of the guests will need this.

@Dimitar27  Sorry, I don’t get what you are saying.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Andrea-and-Glenn0  , everyone else here have given you some pretty good reasons why someone might want a wire.  One last reason could be security, lots of workplaces and employers dont want their stuff transmitted over a radio that every one around could possibly eaves drop on, wired networks are more secure than wireless and generally faster.   A long cable could be a good solution as long as you secure/ strain relief the end near the router to something that wont move, it could be a trip hazard and hurt people and or routers!   Stay well, JR 

• Don't let guests have access to the router. If they can access the router, they can:
    • Open ports to come into your network at a later time.
    • Install keyboard capture software.
    • Change the settings and password, making it impossible for future guests to access the network.
Carmen1578
Level 1
Melbourne, FL

Ethernet is required for many work at home positions due to security.

Carmen Catanzaro