Guest still in the house but can I go for a short break holiday?

Abi010
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Guest still in the house but can I go for a short break holiday?

I am a live in host and does the cleaning by myself.  But I now decided to have a short break getaway whilst my guest are still in the house.  

My question is,  is it OK to ask them to tidy up whilst I am away,  or do I need to organise for a cleaner.  Only going to be away for 5 days.  Please help 

Thanks to everyone that helped 

8 Replies 8

@Abi010  it would not sit well with paying guests to ask them to take on more chores than they're normally expected to just so that their host can take a holiday.

But sending a cleaner into the space might not be necessary either. Do these guests tend to tidy up after themselves in the kitchen and bathroom, or are they used to treating you like their personal maid? 

Abi010
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Thank you Andrew,  they do tidy up after themselves, I only do the major cleaning,  empty the bins and do their laundry. 

I  was thinking supposing they are in an entire apartment,  which is what it will be like,  once I am not around,  will I be expected to do the same?

Thank you so mush for your time 

@Abi010  I think it's more than a fair trade-off for the guests that in exchange for a few days without the cleaning tasks you normally do, they get to have the space and privacy of a whole apartment at the cost of a room. No need to squander your earnings on a cleaner here.

But before you leave for your trip, I do suggest making sure your guests know where the cleaning supplies are stored and how to operate the washer should they feel the need to pretend they're adults and do their own laundry.

Abi010
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

@Anonymous Thank you for your advice and suggestions.  They do know how to use the washing machine, as they have used it a couple of times. 

I just need to point them to where the supplies are,even though its right under their nose, in the bathroom. 

Thank you for this,  it's really a weight off my shoulders 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Abi010 

I see that in both your description and house rules you state that guests should clean up after themselves in communal areas. So, if the guests are tidy enough, then I would suggest you try to plan your time (e.g. do not leave your packing to the last minute) so that you can empty bins/clean just before you leave and then again when you return. Hopefully, that should be sufficient, unless you have tiny bins?

When you say you do the guests' laundry, do you mean their sheets and towels or do you also wash their clothes for them?

Abi010
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

@Huma0 Thank you for taking your time to read and answer my concerns,  much appreciated. Yes my rules did say to clean up after themselves,  which is what they have been doing, so I  hope they carry on regardless of whether I am there or not. 

The laundries that I do is usually the used towels and sheets. 

The bins is 50 litres , so it's quite adequate  for few days rubbish 

Thank you to everyone,  now I can go ahead and enjoy my break in peace 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Abi010 

Well, it sounds like you are well set up to take a few days away if you trust the guests. If it's just used towels and sheets, and the guests don't feel like washing them, you can always leave an extra set for them and wash the used ones when you get back.

Abi010
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

@Huma0 That's exactly what I will be doing.  It feels so easy already.  Thanks