Have you added parking to your listing? Did you get more guests?

Answered!
Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Have you added parking to your listing? Did you get more guests?

We've got a town centre listing with no onsite parking.

Plenty of free parking in the streets around and very cheap car parks (£2/ day). But, I'm wondering if it immediately puts people off coming to stay. All but 2 of our guests in over a year have come by car, so that's clearly our market.

I was wondering if anybody has added parking to their listing and seen a change in bookings?

We have the option of getting a 12-month car park pass or renting a private space. Both would cost £300+ and would be 1 minute walk away (but not visible from the house).

What do you think, would it be worth it financially?

1 Best Answer
K42
Level 3
Nottingham, MD

Is there any way you can get a parking space for a short term to conduct a trial on whether it improves your bookings? I don't know anything about your area, but when l'm traveling by car I prefer to avoid street parking if possible. Even if there's availability on the street, availability of spaces isn't the only consideration; other considerations are feeling it might be less prone to being broken into if it's on private property, especially if travelers have a lot of stuff in their car; less prone to being hit or damaged by drivers/cyclists/etc.; and in some cities in the US, cars have to be moved on certain days for cleaning or during snowstorms, which can be a hassle.

But again, I don't know if any of these are considerations for your area.

Edit: Another consideration would be fear of getting a ticket because of lack of knowledge about local regulations; how far to park from a fire hydrant, intersection, etc.

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ben205

Ben, it wouldn't!

In my 140+ guests I have not been asked more than a couple of times for guaranteed off street parking! You state that there is plenty of adjacent street parking available which most people will accept. What I do if someone is paranoid about getting their vehicle off the street, I offer them my personal undercover lockable park and put my car in behind them, or out in the street. They think I am a bloody God when I offer it.....much better than paying out good money for something they still have to do a brisk walk to get too.

If you don't have a personal off street park tell the guest that inner city locations (in general) will not come with a supplied car park but, for those who really require it you are prepared to subsidise them 50% of the parking cost at a local station....That should also put you in the 'God' like status.

Cheers.....Rob

Ben205
Level 10

@Robin4Interesting, thank you. What I don't know, though, is how many people see I have no parking and then skip past to another property. Obviously the ones that book don't mind!

I'm hoping there's a host out there who has added parking and seen the effect on their bookings.

Anybody?

When I was in the UK last summer - I definitly filtered to only include locations with parking.  Some parking was street parking, some was on the property... but as I had a rental car, and was not familiar with the areas I was visiting - I didn't want to spend time driving in circles looking for a spot to park.   

I'm very sensitive to taking someone elses spot.  I know city dwellers expect to park in different/random spots, but I imagine it would be frustrating to come home from a long day, have a kid or two and all their stuff, a bag of groceries... and have to park a block away because someones Airbnb guest is in their "usual" spot.  I prefer to simply know that I'm not putting anyone out, with my presence.  

Oh, I forgot the second point... My property has ample on site, off street parking.  Two blocks away, another local host lives above a shop in our shopping district and so parking is limited and guests must park one block away, but up a rather steep hill... I KNOW for a fact that guests have booked with me over her.  They told me so.  

For you, how many unbooked nights are you hoping to fill? If you are mostly booked, I wouldn't worry about a paid parking spot.  But if you are struggling with occupancy, and you can bump the rates by £ or two to cover the cost, it may be what you need to encourage booking.  If I saw reserved spot, even off site, I would totally keep a listing in my choices.  In fact, that was how two of my three hosts handled it on our recent trip.  One of them, the spot was right outside the house, one was a bit away, but as I parked the car the entirety of my stay, I didn't care.  A reserved spot is key, knowing that there will be a place no matter what time I come and go, eliminates a lot of stress.  

Ben205
Level 10

@Willow3Interesting and helpful, thanks. I'm nowhere near fully booked, but don't expect to be (we're not really on a tourist route) nor want to be, but wouldn't mind another 50 nights a year. I wouldn't increase my price, I'm thinking more that having the parking space might get me a few more bookings.

I'd only really need 2 to make the space worth the money. There is a potential downside, though, that at present people know parking isn't straightforward and accept that, but if I get a space that is a minute or two away, they may complain!

@Ben0 - I think explicit communication is key.  And key words if you do hire a spot...

RESERVED SPACE

DEDICATED GUEST PARKING

EXCLUSIVE USE

A minute or two walk when you it's predictable and consistant isn't a big deal.. it's the circling the blocks for thirty minute hoping something comes free that I think is more problematic in areas with limited parking.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ben205

Ben, I am a bit similar to you, I am in a small community of 32,000 people in the Adelaide Hills. Our street is a quite street with the only likely vehicle you would come across would be the local school bus!

You probably won't get an answer to your question Ben, because it is a bit like asking 'how long is a piece of string' ! 

Every location is different and parking in a lovely village in Devon is going to be infinitely easier to procure than in Croydon or Dulwich Village!

I can't for a second see availability of off street parking in Crewkerne being an issue which would drive prospective lookers to another listing Ben. If I was looking at your listing I would not consider parking as an issue!

I seriously would like to sink an ale or two in Oscars Wine bar though! :-))

Cheers.....Rob

Ben205
Level 10

@Robin4You wouldn't be the only one doing that in Oscar's tonight (or any other!).

The thing about the parking is, I would only really need 1 or 2 more bookings for it to make me money. I'm looking at it like any other added service that a host might offer - pool, jacuzzi, massage (maybe not that one).

That's the conundrum, would it increase my bookings enough?

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I offer free off-street parking (it's £1 for 20 mins on the street) so people often ask if it's available. Would I buy passes to 'help out' would-be guests? No, not at the costs you cite. And I'm not sure it would increase bookings either. 

Ben205
Level 10

@Gordon0Thanks. The price seems high, but it's really one extra booking given what I charge and a 3-night minimum. It might be more trouble than it's worth, though!

K42
Level 3
Nottingham, MD

Is there any way you can get a parking space for a short term to conduct a trial on whether it improves your bookings? I don't know anything about your area, but when l'm traveling by car I prefer to avoid street parking if possible. Even if there's availability on the street, availability of spaces isn't the only consideration; other considerations are feeling it might be less prone to being broken into if it's on private property, especially if travelers have a lot of stuff in their car; less prone to being hit or damaged by drivers/cyclists/etc.; and in some cities in the US, cars have to be moved on certain days for cleaning or during snowstorms, which can be a hassle.

But again, I don't know if any of these are considerations for your area.

Edit: Another consideration would be fear of getting a ticket because of lack of knowledge about local regulations; how far to park from a fire hydrant, intersection, etc.

Ben205
Level 10

@K42Thanks for those suggestions. I agree that people might feel their vehicle is safer, and as others have said above, knowing there's a space waiting could reduce the guests stress levels.