Help with a decision on renting efficiency apartment.

Answered!

Help with a decision on renting efficiency apartment.

Hello everyone.

I am new to the AB&B community. Please bare with me as I give y’all a little background on my situation.

DW and I own one full time rental property since 2018 and have done very well with it, it’s never been unoccupied. DW and I  are retiring and thinking of making some life style changes and might sell it, (since it’s gone up greatly in price), and buy 2 investment properties. One will be a 3/2 rental condo, the other will be a small 2/2 home that we plan on developing on a small pice of property in beautiful, mountainous farm land, where there are many local wineries, an awesome town with a great history, many outdoor activities and state parks nearby. In others words, it has a great draw for an AB&B!

My question is, the small home design we are looking at is a 2 bed, 2 bath home. The home is divided with 2/3 of it having an owner suite, which as of right now we, (my wife, LOL), don’t intend to rent out,  and use it as our vacation home. The other 3rd of the home will have a lock off, containing an efficiency apartment with one separate bedroom, an efficiency kitchen,  small sitting area, (that might also have room for a Murphy bed or small pull out in it), and it will have it’s own outdoor area/porch. Would the efficiency apartment rent well? It will sleep 2 and possibly 4, if we do the Murphy bed. Or should I just delete the lockout design and convince my wife to make it a 2 bed, 2 bath home that could sleep 4-6 guests?

We are full time landlords and don’t have any experience with AB&B’s. Any recommendations and advice are appreciated!

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. Do research on Airbnb for similar properties . How many are there . What are their prices points? How busy are their calendars 

2. look on Airdna or similar 

@John7952 

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

To get an idea of whether it would rent well you'd need to do your market research on supply and demand at the price point you want to offer it at for your sort of property to understand likely footfall. 

no-one here can tell you whether it would rent well I'm afraid @John7952 

Thanks Helen3,

I will do some more research.

I guess, for now, what I really want to know if efficiency apartments are desirable as an ABB, as a category, where renters actually seek them out? 

John7952

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. Do research on Airbnb for similar properties . How many are there . What are their prices points? How busy are their calendars 

2. look on Airdna or similar 

@John7952