High amount of snow - how to handle?

Ben4536
Level 1
Phoenix, AZ

High amount of snow - how to handle?

I have a place in Flagstaff, AZ.  Also unsure how to go about it.  I live 2 hrs away from my airbnb down in Phx.  My driveway is steep, which is apparent in my ad.  So if people just drive on the snow, it becomes ice and then the will slide down the driveway.  Last person broke (2) of my driveway solar lights doing that.

But if I kept it "completely clear" while someone came up while it dumps all day everyday, I would be spending as much in removal than the rental cost them.  I have a battery operated snow blower, and shovel.  I have a guy that charges $60 for each time.  the last couple times I said I would cover the blower guy once if they wanted it and they could have at the stuff in the garage if they wanted.

One person did it themself, the next person waited then had my guy come.  They had driven on it a bunch of times and compacted the snow so he couldn't really get rid of much.  I came up right after them and took me 3 hrs to get all the compact ice off the driveway.  It was absolutely miserable.  So now I have to insist it is done somehow, but don't know the perfect approach either.

4 Replies 4
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Ben4536, I hope you're well!

I've created a new topic for you, as you had replied on an old one. By creating a new one for you, it will drive more Hosts to your topic and offer helpful tips. 

I hope this helps!

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ben4536 I would work out what the cost is per year of keeping it clear and then add it to your nightly rate. You will also need a rule that the guests should leave their cars in the garage if snowing (or clear it themselves)  so they don't compact the snow as the snow clearer will only come max once per day.

If it is cost prohibitive to keep it clear, perhaps shutting down for the winter months would be prudent.

Guests are not going to be happy with unsafe driveways. 

In my area most of the locals just have a plow on the truck and then it takes about a minute and costs $20. some of these trucks have sand or else you would also need a yellow salt bucket from Home Depot and fill with 50/50 sand and salt bags.  Place the buckets at various locations on the property so the tuck guy can just jump out and spread the sand/salt.