Host cancellation rate

Juliana456
Level 2
Clifton Beach, Australia

Host cancellation rate

Anyone that can answer why my superhost cancellation percentage is increasing when I haven’t cancelled anymore guests( was only one ever) went from 1.05 to 1.58 this morning on my app. Increased above the original rate! Should be decreasing in percentage with more bookings and no further cancellations. Airbnb support are not getting back to me and can’t seem to deal with this problem. Frustrated ! 

10 Replies 10
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Juliana456  Well, it's based on the previous 365 days activity, so it's a rolling percentage, not a stagnant number. Could that be it?

Juliana456
Level 2
Clifton Beach, Australia

Yes but rolling would mean it is decreased… hoe can it be more ? Been decreasing since September and now more without any changes. 

@Juliana456  It's basic math, that's how it could go up instead of down. While your case may indeed just be a technical error, to make the numbers simple, lets say you had one cancellation between Dec.31 2020, and Jan.1 2021 and during that period, you had 100 bookings. So your percentage is 1%. Now lets say that from Jan.31, 2021 to Feb.1, 2022, you made no more cancellations, but the cancellation you had made was still within the new assessment period, but number of bookings for that period is only 80, not 100. 

The cancellation percentage would then go up, not down.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Juliana456 It can roll upwards depending on what it is measured against. If it is a percentage of cancellations vs accepted bookings then, as time moves forwards, the number of cancellations may still be in the 365 day period but there are fewer accepted bookings in said period.

Hope this makes sense.

Juliana456
Level 2
Clifton Beach, Australia

As I thought it is an error and being rectified by technical. The percentage rate should decrease with more bookings and no further cancellations. Thank you. 😊

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Juliana456 don't be surprised if 'technical' come back and say it is correct. rates can go up and down.

Juliana456
Level 2
Clifton Beach, Australia

Ok interesting… they have only been going down. And how is that fair? One cancellation in 4 years. Then that is absolute rubbish. Also that is not explained anywhere. We will see what they come back with. Thanks again 

Juliana456
Level 2
Clifton Beach, Australia

They also assured me this would be the case… percent goes down. Seems like the truth is out there…. Somewhere……

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Juliana456, @Sarah977 , @Mike-And-Jane0 

I have the same issue!  I spoke to a rep last evening, he told me I had 3 cancellations in Oct 2021.  I DID NOT!

He confirmed it and told me it's a bug and it was reported but would take some time to fix.

Any other hosts having the same issue?

Susan99
Level 2
Beaverton, OR

I have been a super-host for 8 years - consistently.  This year I am shocked by the number of cancelations!  I wonder if other hosts are finding a way to recruit bookings away as check in approaches: offering lower prices in order to fill their calander?  And, wondering if Airbnb has a back door making the activity possible?  I keep my nightly fee and weekly/monthly discounts very consistent.  My unit is exactly as pictured and advertised (Tucked Inn - Beaverton, Oregon). 

This year I am finding two significant shifts:

Cancelations as the check in date approaches.

Guests are not as appreciative regarding care of property and some items missing. 

My goal has always been keep it simple, high quality, and a good value.  I want to attract quality guests who either consider Tucked Inn an amazing experience and/or appreciate the quality, care and value offered.  

Recently cancelled reservations blocked the possibility of longer bookings and when they cancel - I take losses of both the booking and the opportunity costs.

I am also experiencing some lost property: knives, utensils, two sets of fiesta-ware breakfast dishes.  A couple of times there has been damage requiring repairs because of carelessness.  Interestingly, while I receive high ratings some guests seem to make a point of making critical remarks as though Tucked Inn did not meet their luxury standards, it's very weird.  

My revenues are down about 30% YTD and I do not believe the 3rd and 4th quarters will match my consistent income in years past 

I am considering raising my nightly rate, increasing my minimum stay to 3 nights, and changing my cancelation policy.