How do I ask guest to turn heating down from an excessive 25 c when its not cold outside

Answered!

How do I ask guest to turn heating down from an excessive 25 c when its not cold outside

Our current guests are using the Hive system and turning temperature unto 25 c including over night. There is not a control on Hive to lock in a temp, the current outside temp is 13-14 c so not cold. Can I ask them to turn it down or ask for a contribution towards costs of heating. Normal temp would be closer to 18.5-19 c

1 Best Answer

@Rebecca1783 

We have learned the hard way not to give guests control of the heating and aircon. We now have smartphone control of it, and keep it 20-22° ... 

...depending on the weather. The colder it is outside, the warmer we all like it inside. For many (most?) people, when it's 5° outside, 22-23° inside feels comfy. 19 feels cold. But when it's 19° outside, 23 feels downright hot. I know, it's ironic, but that's how most people sense it.

Many guests think that turning up the thermostat higher somehow makes it warm up faster (but that's never the case).

We've had far too many guests turn it up to 30°, then leave for the day. When they get back, it's too hot, so they open the doors and windows. And since they're on holiday, they don't bother to turn down the thermostat. Meanwhile, I'm spending 500€ to heat the garden 😳

So, no more of that. 20-22 is what they get, and so far, no complaints. 

And I can't say this often enough. You have little recourse for wasteful behaviour (or many other undesirable guest behaviours), and confronting them about it will only result in downside for you. They've paid for, and are only mindful of their own enjoyment, not your hosting problems. So, just don't give them opportunity to (unwittingly) burn you, and everybody will be happy. 

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rebecca1783 we heat our apartments to between 21 and 22 degrees. Your 18.5-19 is cold of an evening when just sitting around. We have a lockable cover over the thermostats but do offer to adjust if people are cold via the internet. No issues so far.

Thank you. We heat our home to a max of 21 (even in the cold winter). The guests have continually turned heating to 28-32, including overnight.

I sent them a polite message asking if there was a reason and adjusted the schedule to a more consistent heat for them, but asked them not to boost to such temps especially over night. 

We will look into a lockable cover but have never had this issue before.

@Rebecca1783 

We have learned the hard way not to give guests control of the heating and aircon. We now have smartphone control of it, and keep it 20-22° ... 

...depending on the weather. The colder it is outside, the warmer we all like it inside. For many (most?) people, when it's 5° outside, 22-23° inside feels comfy. 19 feels cold. But when it's 19° outside, 23 feels downright hot. I know, it's ironic, but that's how most people sense it.

Many guests think that turning up the thermostat higher somehow makes it warm up faster (but that's never the case).

We've had far too many guests turn it up to 30°, then leave for the day. When they get back, it's too hot, so they open the doors and windows. And since they're on holiday, they don't bother to turn down the thermostat. Meanwhile, I'm spending 500€ to heat the garden 😳

So, no more of that. 20-22 is what they get, and so far, no complaints. 

And I can't say this often enough. You have little recourse for wasteful behaviour (or many other undesirable guest behaviours), and confronting them about it will only result in downside for you. They've paid for, and are only mindful of their own enjoyment, not your hosting problems. So, just don't give them opportunity to (unwittingly) burn you, and everybody will be happy. 

I think you are spot on, moving forward we will not let guests have access to the controller.

This particular guest has been quite difficult, I suppose we have been lucky up to now. 
I did message the guest, he seemed ok about that and I haven’t heard anything since.
I may well get a bad review… my inexperience I suppose. 

I appreciate your suggestions. 

@Elaine701 One small point - On very clever Austrian systems like ours it does actually heat up quicker if you whack the temperature up very high. It doesn't on most home systems or in cars though!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I suppose the cost of this higher setting is the issue at hand and if so the choices are:

1.  Battle with the individual occasional guest who you deem too wasteful.

2. Accept #1 type and hope the final collective cost among all guests is acceptable.

3. Charge everyone a bit more not to have to worry about the occasional odd duck.

Personally I rather go with #3 and I do set the AC (!!) at 27C, and definitely I am 'freezing' below 26C. 🙂