How do I take Payment for Mini Bar items?

Answered!
Joanne202
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

How do I take Payment for Mini Bar items?

Hi,

I would like to add a mini bar to my apartment and stock it with alcohol and soft drinks.  Does anyone know if I can charge for any items removed from the mini bar through the resolution centre and use the guests security deposit?

Thanks

Jo

1 Best Answer
Tim-And-Lee0
Level 3
Woodland, WA

My POV is we are here to be an outstanding service to our guests... we have an honor bar with a few items from costco (wine is the exception, but I never buy it at more than 6.00/bottle) and I leave the following message:

THE MAPLERIDGE HONOR BAR

-An Experience in Honor and Convenience-

Our guests frequently arrive without nibbles, drinks or basic groceries. For your convenience we provide a few bottles of wine and water, some cookies and candies, and a cracker or two. These are for your convenience, and we want you to enjoy this 'emergency' cache of goodies. At the same time if you leave an 'honor payment' for whatever you use we will continue to provide this convenience for future guests! Also, we are writing a feature story for AirBnB Magazine about how this works out! So enjoy! And let's pay it forward for all our future guests!

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21

so what happened? since last year.....

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

I thought about doing this as well but decided against it.  Not becasue people would rink without paying but I was worried about the laws regarding selling alcohol without a license. It should be fine to GIVE alcohol.  We leave a bottle of wine for guests staying two nights or longer that are over 21.  But we I don't want to risk selling alcohol, the fines can be pretty steep.  Not sure how anybody would find out unless somebody got hurt on the property or if a guest was somehow involved with law enforcement and made a call.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Just not worth it. The Airbnb guest hates to spend money and likes to complain. Combine those traits together with nickel and diming minibar and you will get theft and bad reviews. Not a good combination.

@Pete28 

Agreed. Some guests may like it  but others will take offense to it. It is like waving a treat in front of your pet but if you make them work too hard for it, they may get very frustrated and bite you. Sorry for the bad analogy, not trying to compare guests to animals but you get the point.

Eduard47
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I think it's a great way to diversify and make more money!

We are working on something exactly for that! 

*[Personal advertising hidden in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Hi Eduard. Did you manage to find a solution to the airbnb minibar?

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

I give alcohol for free! I mean a whole bottle is only like $30.