How do you pick your pillows?

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

How do you pick your pillows?

y5ozmx3_normal.jpg

Hey everyone,

They come in all different forms, shapes and sizes, with patterns/designs and without. They provide style, comfort, and support. Some people like a lot of them, others prefer the bare minimum. I’m talking pillows and cushions, and too many to choose from at that! A good pillow can make all the difference between a good night’s sleep and a couch that sinks just a bit too much, so it’s important to make the right choice.

How do you pick your pillows and cushions?

What factors do you take into consideration? Do you choose style over comfort? And one of the (to my knowledge) most debated questions: how many is too much?

Let us know in the comments! I need new pillows myself so I can’t wait to read your recommendations.😃 

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

9 Replies 9
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sybe 

There are cushions and then there are pillows and different rules apply. Pillows must absolutely be chosen with comfort in mind, but people have very varying tastes and preferences with those. Personally, I get to stay in a lot of 5* hotels because of my job. The mattresses are usually great, but I hate the

squidgy feather pillows that most of them have. I know they are supposed to be 'luxurious' but they are guaranteed to give me a literal pain in the neck and I think they are really unhygienic. A lot of people have allergies to them too. Still, loads of people love them.

However, there is a hotel that I stayed in a couple of times that had the feather pillows, but also a 'pillow menu', which I thought was fab. You could call up reception and choose two types from this pillow if you didn't like the feather ones. Each pillow had a description on the menu, including what type of sleeper it was suited to (front, side, back) and was named after a silver screen star, e.g. Marilyn Monroe or Betty Davis.

I loved this! So, on each bed, I provide four different pillows. These will differ in type, e.g. regular synthetic, feather, memory foam, and thickness and firmness. That way, guests have a selection to choose from. 

Re throw cushions, that is more for decoration. Those are chosen to go with the decor of the room. I like to have a couple of them on the beds, but piles of them (which I noticed seems to be quite common in a lot of American listings) is too much as it's potentially annoying to a lot of guests and also guests have a tendency to throw them on the floor, which I hate! It's not a bad idea, if there is space, to have a nice basket or something for guests to put cushions and throws in if they don't want them on the bed.

It's important for cushions to have washable covers. These and any other items that are on the guest bed should be washed in between stays. Likewise, I don't really get the idea of having feather quilts or comforters that are not washed in between guest stays. It doesn't matter if there is a top sheet, it's just gross.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Huma0 A pillow menu is a great idea! Do you mention your pillow selection before the guests arrive?

I know many people who would use a significant amount of luggage space just so they can take their own pillow with them for the exact reason you mentioned. I have a memory foam pillow at home and I don't sleep well with the standard hotel pillows either.  

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sybe 

I only once had a guest bring her own pillow (memory foam) all the way from New Zealand! However, she got a very bad neck pain while here, tried one of my pillows instead and it went away. She ended up leaving her memory foam pillow here...

More recently, I discovered that one of my pillows had disappeared and there was a completely random curved one left in its place. The guest had obviously decided again that my pillow was better and nicked it!

No, I don't even mention the pillows to the guests, but I ask every guest after the first night how they slept. They always say the bed was super comfy, so I don't worry about it. I am guessing they just use the pillow that they prefer and appreciate having the choice.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Sybe I like the comfy chair cushions and think every comfy chair does need a couple of smaller cushions for those times when you dont intend to move and may or may not doze off,for little kids and big kids. H

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Helen744 I completely agree, though not too many otherwise I'll never get up!

-----

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I made my own, @Sybe . Yes, other hosts, it's dorky. Whatever.  😉

hungrylikethe.PNG

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Lawrene0 That's amazing, I want to do that too! How did you make them? 

-----

Knitted it on big needles, @Sybe . 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Sybe bed pillows I provide two types for the bed. Both polyester or latex,  1 thicker for sitting up in bed to read and 1 medium to smaller poyester/latex stuffed pillow. I unpick the pillows and take some of the stuffing out because when they are new they are too thick for the neck. The main bed has 4 pillows pillows, 2 thicker ones and 2 medium pillows, 1 slightly thinner than the other. The twin single beds are the same as the main, that way they can swap them over.

I put cushions on the lounge chairs because if you are short, often the seat is too long and you need back support and it makes it easier for a short person put their feet on the floor and be comfortable to sit. If a person doesn't want acushion behind them they will move them out.