How important would it be to build a kitchen for the guests?

How important would it be to build a kitchen for the guests?

Until now I've short-rented my 2 houses intirely out but now I want to move into a flat and divide it into two parts; mine and the airbnb. Question: how important would it be to build a kitchen for the guests? It's out of the question to share mine. Or, in your experience, would it be enough with a fake kitchen (no sink, no tap, no oven) with high level coffee machines, boiler, toaster, wine glasses, microwave ecc? I could offer room service....Any well-working ideas?

[Title updated by Community Manager for relevancy]

7 Replies 7
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

@Hanne-Pouline0 Most people eat out. I think you can create a kitchonette with mini frig, microwave, coffee, tea, toaster would be plenty. You can put it all on a bakers rack. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry I don't agree it depends on the sort of guests you target - families and longer stay guests definitely like to eat in @Dawn241 

@Hanne-Pouline0  think about what sort of guests you want to attract - in most spaces you should be able to fit a mini kitchen with fridge, microwave, sink and air fryer /smaller hob and possibly oven. 

market research is the only way to find the answer; you have to do a deep dive into all the booking sites rates for your area…

Keep in mind, without sink/stove you are creating a “hotel room” …and with that, may come a different type of customer…vs. the one who wants a “homey space…”

Agree with @Dawn241 ; most people eat out..however, we always find dirty pots/pans dishes…at minimum, a separate dedicated kitchen/bar sink….

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Hanne-Pouline0,

I agree with @Helen3, the need for a kitchen depends upon the type of guests and length of stay you're targeting, and the rental space's proximity to restaurants/cafes/food trucks/street food/grocery stores.  The need for a kitchen tends to increase with the distance from the eateries and the length of the stay.  When we first built our guesthouse, there a shared guest kitchen for three suites. 

During the height of the COVID pandemic, the local government said that guests couldn't share kitchens, and we closed the shared kitchen and installed mini-kitchens in each of the suites.  I've found that guests like the idea of having the kitchens in their suites even if they plan to eat out for all/most of their meals, but there are some guests who use them to make some or most of their meals, especially if they have a restricted diet, e.g. food allergies/intolerances, vegetarian/vegan, Ital, Halal, Kosher, etc.  

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Hanne-Pouline0, what an interesting topic 💡

How have you found our Hosts' suggestions? Are you still considering building a kitchen?

Please keep us posted on your final decision.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

According to Airbnb, the kitchen is one of the top amenities guests are looking for:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/the-amenities-guests-want-25

Our personal experience is that we always use it when we travel somewhere, and, on the other side, provide it in our accommodation. We agree that there are people who don't need it, but definitely there are ones who do.

Therefore, it's better to have it and not used if not needed than not have it but wanted.

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

Why would I choose your place over a hotel if you don’t have a kitchen? Find a reason to attract guests