How many towels do you provide for your guests?

Answered!
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

How many towels do you provide for your guests?

I thought I was doing well by providing 2 bath towels, 1 hand towel and 1 facecloth per guest for a 2 day stay. However, this past week-end I hosted 7 guests at our cabin & they used ALL 14 bath towels provided plus got into the cupboard with our family towels and used an additional 8. This is excessive, am I right?

I'm now considering adding yet another sign - this one to the effect of "We invite you to join with us to conserve water and energy by using your towels more than once". Anybody have any advice, or luck with this?

Thanks in advance, Karen

1 Best Answer
Florian137
Level 2
Chemainus, Canada

Yes that is excessive.  You should keep  a lock on the cupboard also so that you control the amount of towels that are used.  

View Best Answer in original post

38 Replies 38
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Karen-and-Brian0

in Croatia number of towels depends of how many stars your property have. Standard is:

*** 2 towels per person

**** and ***** 3 towels per person

Veronika-and-Rainer0
Level 2
Delray Beach, FL

I think, people don't like signs. In my opinion, the amount of towels you used to provide, is sufficient. But you may offer to hand out additional ones as need be. Usually, that has the effect that guests, if they have to ask for something, behave more considerate. - I learned my lesson.  Usually, I just pointed out the linen closet in case they needed more than the initially provided ones. One of my newest, very pretty, beach towel was taken. They are not exactly cheap. So now, I will offer to provide beach towels at the time they are leaving to go to the beach, so they know, they get a certain amount and it will be easy for me to get the same amount back.

Deb29
Level 9
San Mateo, CA

@Karen-and-Brian0, Hi, we provide 2 towels per guest. This keeps things simple and clear. If they need more, we will accommodate.

Deb

Automate your Airbnb messages at Aviva IQ

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

I try to have the towels set out in the room before the guests arrive.

I'm stronly considering locking all the rest of the towes in a large safe.

Safe

Florian137
Level 2
Chemainus, Canada

Yes that is excessive.  You should keep  a lock on the cupboard also so that you control the amount of towels that are used.  

I also struggle with this issue. As everyone knows, people will use every single piece of linen that you supply or have in the house. I’m new to this but I’ve already figured that out. For a one or two night stay I’m supplying one towel for each person. I do keep handtowels and washcloths stocked (not too many) as those haven’t become an issue yet. For my longer stays..up to one week, I’ll supply a few extra towels. For 6 people I’ll have 10 towels out. I also have a washer and dryer so they’re free to clean them if they choose. 

A lot of folks noted that guests will use more towels if they get confused on which was theirs.

I put good, sturdy towel hooks- at least 4- in each room so they don't have to hand any in the shared bathroom. 

I provide 1 bath, 1 hand, and a stack of wash cloths per guest per visit, up to 1 week stay.

I tell folks to let me know if they ever need anything and only got one request(no complaints) for clean towels once in over 80 guest visits.

Sheila568
Level 2
Mokena, IL

I have it stated on my listing that in order to strive for a greener planet we provide 1 bath, 1 hand and 1 facecloth per guest. If you do not think this will be sufficient please give us advance notice.  If they think they will want more then I will leave a basket with a few. They cannot give a bad review if they were warned in advance right?

BenkaandKeith0
Level 10
United States

We encourage you to put a sign up. We started hosting with no rules and 7 years later our rentals are full of sings that the guest are reporting them VERY useful (go figure, never thought they would be appreciated but we heard that on way too many occasions to dismiss). We once had 2 guests who used 14 towels in their 8 ours long stay. Still not sure what they were up to, but in 3000+ eggs once in a while one will be rotten...