How often do you clean out your septic?

Christie178
Level 2
Wentzville, MO

How often do you clean out your septic?

How often do you clean out your septic? Since guests would abuse and do not use with care as family would .

I have a 1500 gallon septic and my home hosts between 2 and 8 guests. Even though I have signs requesting no food, feminine products, wipes, etc, down drain doesn't mean it is followed. 

3 Replies 3
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Christie178 we just had to do ours, but I can't tell you the size, and we have 2 here. I think we are getting them emptied every 9 months, which is a bit more than usual but we have more humans here all the time now.  I too have a sign on all the loos, but i rarely have any of my baggies used for fem products, so not sure what's happening. We had one blockage earlier this year - baby wipes. many many many baby wipes. We unclogged it ourselves but it was still an issue and luckily the septic guy cleared it on his visit. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Christie178 

Every house on this island has a skeptic tank,

My own house never in 12 years we have lived here but there is only 2 of us, 

In my villas there was only one we had emptied,

We do have signs everywhere next to the toilets, seems to have worked for us,

It might have something to do with Asian dont really use toilet paper next to every toilet is Bum Gun hahaha 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Christie178   We have our septic systems pumped once a year.   We also have a plumber come and snake/clear the pipes from the house to the septic system once a year.  

We had a massive backup one year due to an older couple who were sending adult diapers down the toilet.  Like @Gillian166 mentioned, we also see very little evidence that our guests are following our suggestions about what can and can't go into our septic systems, and we are especially worried about baby (bum) wipe usage.  Being proactive eases our minds.