How to get full refund for a mouse issue

How to get full refund for a mouse issue

Hi, I am a tenant and yesterday I saw a mouse, but couldn't find a way to get full refund.

Address: **

Host: **

Co-host: **

Issue: I saw a mouse in my room and in the kitchen.

Time: August 7th, 2023

What I did: I set up a camera to record it at night.

Evidence(see the stove, I also have the complete video on Google Drive)

1.png2.png

Totally I paid 669.70 CAD, but Airbnb only has the option of "Enter an amount no more than $494.99 CAD". Yesterday I contacted the host and co-host, but at that time I didn't have the proof, they said they will send exterminator to check.

Until this morning I finally got the 100% true evidence, and messaged them, both of them kept silent completely, didn't reply anything. So far I don't see any exterminator.

According to Airbnb policy, it is possible to get full refund in this case. Additionally, I spent a lot of time and energy just for handling this problem and getting evidence. Extra $50 is necessary.

How and where to request for full refund?

**[Personal details removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

26 Replies 26
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Hongyu6 Did you ask Airbnb to cancel your stay and find you somewhere else when you discovered the mouse issue?

There is no excuse for a host allowing mice in their house BUT there is also no excuse for completing the whole stay and then demanding a refund+$50.

As I described above, the host and co-host kept silent completely after I provided 100% true evidence.

I just contacted Airbnb Support, "please allow me to reach out to your Host to discuss the issue further, and I'll get back to you within the next 4 hours.".

I didn't say that I want to stay here, but currently I cannot leave as well.

**[Image containing personal information of Hosts removed - Community Center Guidelines]

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Hongyu6 if the listing is unsafe you need to tell Airbnb and leave. Otherwise people may think you are just angling for a free stay.

Remember I am the victim.

This happened so suddenly and I wasn't prepared. Where can I go? I haven't booked any place. It just happened yesterday, how can I leave whenever I want?

If they fixed it, I can stay and ask for partial refund. If they cannot, full refund + 50. This is my first time trying Airbnb, had this awful experience already.

I didn't do anything wrong.

I just read this. I'm the new host, your demands are completely reasonable.

It's good to know you understand my difficulty, to some extent.

Airbnb resolution: 30% refund for the 3 nights affected by this issue + refund for the nights that you aren’t spending

And they provided me with a coupon worth CA$134.

The host and co-host only agreed to refund the rest of days, for the nights I slept on sofa(in order to avoid mouse), they still charged me full price.

I have been at this Airbnb for two months. Mice spotted during week two. Notified host and sent pictures. He said would call an exterminator. I leave today and there are approximately three residing under the fridge. I made do mostly by stomping around the house though they woke a few times. I would feel wrong about any discount or credit but I don’t think he handled this well at all. I need some advice on the review. I am very conflicted.

@Hongyu6 Hello Honggyu, it does not work like you think it does. You describe these mice as 'a mouse ' as if only one mouse is playing 'peek a boo'with you. You need to inform both the host and Airbnb of the 'mice ' problem ., but if you need to continue to stay and wish to then ask the host to bring by some traps or an alternative way to capture and remove the mice and ask for extra cleaning as well.but if you continue staying then there will be no refund but the host may choose to compensate in some way . .. H

Read other comments first(scroll up), there is latest update on top.

So far I saw two, not one.

It's not true that I wanted to stay, I had no choice. I came to Halifax for work, not for travelling, already have heavy tasks. And this mice issue brought more trouble.

Assume that today I see mouse, can I move out tomorrow? Very unlikely, hotels nearby are fully booked, you shouldn't think moving out is as easy as you thought.

The most amazing point is that the host refused to compensate at all, only agreed to refund the rest of days if I leave.

Is he a good host or something else? What do you think?

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Hongyu6  What on EARTH makes you think you're entitled to a FULL REFUND for a mouse sighting? I'm sorry there's a mouse in the property, but mice are a fact of life. Unless it's an infestation, a random mouse could have just shown up. A mouse is an inconvenience, not a threat to your life. 

You could say you felt uncomfortable using the kitchen because of the mouse, and perhaps get a partial refund for the inconvenience. 

The fact that you have started this asking for a full refund is simply not right. You have to give the host and AirBnB a chance to respond. It puts YOU in a bad light. And asking for an extra $50? Shaking my head. 

I think it is infestation, it was in my room(downstairs) first, then I contacted host. I decided to sleep on the sofa that night, but I noticed that mouse also appeared in the kitchen(upstairs, 2 meters to the sofa), I didn't know where to sleep.

A mouse is an inconvenience, also a potential threat to your life. You have to put a lot time and energy into handling this problem, greatly affects your work.

I am not sure you are a host or not, but you should stay neutral. If there is a mouse in your room, you might change your mind a bit. You will realize how difficult to collect evidence, because mice run so fast, I didn't have time to pick up a phone and capture them. If I have no evidence, no one believes me. I had to be patient for long time to wait for the next opportunity when it appeared.

The most disappointing thing is the attitude of the host changed a lot. Before getting the proof, they replied very quickly(within 10 minutes), once I provided the proof, they kept silent, no reply anymore.

How do you feel about it? You gave the proof, they didn't reply anything. I will see how they behave, currently I won't use the word "irresponsible".

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you don't want to stay because you have seen a mouse contact Airbnb again and ask them to cancel the booking so you can find somewhere to stay @Hongyu6 

Of course, but they process it very slowly, contacted Airbnb yesterday, has been more than 12 hours, still no conclusion.

And refund for sure, the attitude of the host and co-host is not acceptable, they kept silent for more than 12 hours since I giving the evidence(video). Absolutely nothing, didn't say anything like "We will fix it", "I am so sorry for this", etc. What will they do? Unknown. This is far from being responsible.

Additional information: Seems like the host and co-host are getting ghosted. They have been silent for more than 12 hours since I gave the evidence(video), didn’t reply to my message, didn’t say what they will do, just nothing. Their behaviors are considered irresponsible.