I'm looking for advice and the best mattress for short term rentals

Answered!
Laura-Plourde0
Level 1
Portland, ME

I'm looking for advice and the best mattress for short term rentals

Help! Some guests love my  mattresses others don't. I've been taking the advice of salesmen but I'm wondering if there are any mattresses in particular that most people like or are best for short term rentals. 

My most recent bed purchase is a platform bed with a 14 inch mattress Sealy Posterpedic that cost me around $900. Right away someone wrote I didn't have a mattress just a foam topper which, of course, isn't true. I'm wondering since the foam topper is build into the mattress if she thought I had a box spring with a topper. Anyway I realize there is nothing I can do about it other than to clarify it was in fact a full mattress with a built in foam topper. I started to think there might be a mattress with a more universal appeal that other hosts are more familiar with.  

I appreciate any advice my fellow hosts can offer. Thanks  

1 Best Answer
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura-Plourde0,

Since we had to ship all of the furnishings for our rentals from the US, space and packaging were big considerations, in addition to cost.  We purchased 12-13" king hybrid mattresses-in-a-box, and usually get great compliments about the comfort.  The average cost was about $400, and were purchased on different sites, Amazon, Sam's Club, Walmart, and Costco.  They cannot be flipped over, but we do regularly rotate them 180 degrees to change the head and foot of the beds.  Mattress comfort is subjective, and we've had guests tell us that a mattress is too soft/firm, but the preceding and next guest say that they didn't want to get out of the bed during their stay.  We have three layers of mattress protection: zippered mattress encasement, waterproof mattress pad, and a mattress encasement with an elastic band.  The mattresses are almost 4 years old and are in such good condition that when we had our health inspection in March the inspector thought the mattresses were new.  We also put zippered pillowcase encasements over the pillows.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Iolanda54
Level 3
Galveston, TX

I bought some really good I expense mattress from American Home Furniture and have been very pleased.. The best prices  I. Could find. I try to stick with mattress that are not too soft or too firm. 8 months later great reviews . 

Gifty5
Level 9
Chicago, IL

@Laura-Plourde0 I prioritize investing in high-quality items for my Airbnb property due to the diverse range of guests frequenting the space. With a constant influx of different individuals, it's challenging to predict who will handle the items with care. Opting for top-notch products provides a reliable solution, as quality items have a proven track record of durability and longevity. By making this choice, I can ensure that my guests have a comfortable and enjoyable stay, regardless of who they are, while also safeguarding my investments for the long term.

@Laura-Plourde0 , with over 300+ stays, we’ve only had one guest complain about the mattress we have in our listing. When leaving reviews some guest(s) will comment on how comfortable the bed was etc… The mattress we purchased from Custom Comfort Mattress is a two sided mattress (most mattresses are one-sided) and 2 years ago cost around $900.00. We flip the mattress every six months. It does not have a pillow top nor do we add a foam topper. We do have two waterproof mattress protection covers to protect the mattress from accidents…(better safe than sorry).

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura-Plourde0,

Since we had to ship all of the furnishings for our rentals from the US, space and packaging were big considerations, in addition to cost.  We purchased 12-13" king hybrid mattresses-in-a-box, and usually get great compliments about the comfort.  The average cost was about $400, and were purchased on different sites, Amazon, Sam's Club, Walmart, and Costco.  They cannot be flipped over, but we do regularly rotate them 180 degrees to change the head and foot of the beds.  Mattress comfort is subjective, and we've had guests tell us that a mattress is too soft/firm, but the preceding and next guest say that they didn't want to get out of the bed during their stay.  We have three layers of mattress protection: zippered mattress encasement, waterproof mattress pad, and a mattress encasement with an elastic band.  The mattresses are almost 4 years old and are in such good condition that when we had our health inspection in March the inspector thought the mattresses were new.  We also put zippered pillowcase encasements over the pillows.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Laura-Plourde0 , 

Have you made any changes to your mattresses or decided on a preferred brand since the time you posted?

Our lovely and helpful members @Debra300 @Ana2038 @Gifty5 and @Iolanda54 have shared their go-to brands and some handy tips on how they manage guest expectations when it comes to mattresses.

Do keep us posted on the changes you'll be making! All the best!🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines