Installing a Smart Lock on a Milgard french door

Valerie1048
Level 1
Half Moon Bay, CA

Installing a Smart Lock on a Milgard french door

Hi,

This is my first post here and am hoping someone here might be able to advise me. I'm getting our cabin set up for airbnb and want to put in a Smart Lock. My ambassador recommends the Yale Smart Lock YRD226 ; however I'm not sure if it will be compatible with my door (Milgard french door) which has an integrated factory installed lock assembly there now. We looked at the specs and think it may work, but we would need to put in a separate passage lever. We've been researching various options, but the hole in the middle presents a challenge.  We might need to come up with a creative way to cover it up and am open to ideas and recommendations.

Has anyone had experience with a similar type of door?  We are also checking with Milgard and will consult a locksmith, but wanted to check here as well. Thanks!

Lock Screenshot_20210922-211748_Airbnb.jpgLock 2 IMG_4648.jpgLock 3 IMG_4649.jpgLock 1 IMG_4647.jpg

6 Replies 6
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Valerie1048 I had a door just like this. Does it have a multipoint lock? It was not compatible with any keyless entry locks. I finally had to replace the door since I desperately wanted to ease of keyless entry. 

Valerie1048
Level 1
Half Moon Bay, CA

No it does not; just the two points, 5-1/2" apart which seems to be standard. I'm concerned more about the width. I don't think we are up for replacing the door as we just purchased the property so am hoping for some other solution short of putting a lockbox on the premises as we have now (but property is not yet listed in airbnb).

Joel1092
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Hi @Valerie1048. I just saw your post. I'm consider installing Milgard french doors and was wondering if you managed to find a compatible keyless entry. Thanks for your help!

Stephen1400
Level 1
Rolling Hills Estates, CA

I have the same question, posting to get notified of responses.

Cathy340
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Sadly I just purchased these as replacements for my property and now am installing a wall mounted lock box. Hopefully someone will invent a compatible keyless entry for these doors!  they are really nice doors though!

Eli27192
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Hi @Valerie1048 ,

Did you end up finding a solution? Having the same issue. 

Thanks!

Eli