Laundry and electricity

Laundry and electricity

Good afternoon,

We'd like to know what the best way to launder bedsheets. We have been washing in hot, but with the rising cost of electricity we were wondering if we can wash in cold. Is that enough to certain the linens are clean?

Please advise when you can.

Thanks so much!

—Leigh

19 Replies 19
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Leigh625 The Airbnb 5 step cleaning protocol requires hosts to:

• Wash dishes and laundry at the highest heat setting possible

I think I am safe in saying that 99% of hosts do not comply with this primarily because it is stupid (even in a Covid world). Sadly Airbnb tends not to revisit its rules as the science develops.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Leigh625 @Elisabeth40 @Evie351 @Deborah1559 @Christine615 

@Paula Based on the responses here I would like to say that 100% of hosts are non-compliant with the Airbnb cleaning protocols (up from my 99% estimate). Perhaps you could suggest to Airbnb they revisit this bit of stupidity (the protocols not the hosts) as the science just does not require massively high temperatures to get things clean and a more sensible approach would also save the environment.

@Mike-And-Jane0 @Please leave me out of your assumptions, I definitely comply with the protocol. It doesn’t matters to me how hot or cold I wash, it cost me always the same, $6,10. I was only responding to the electricity costs. I also use bleach and other disinfectants. Pls take out my name from your assumption 

Elwood5
Level 2
Virginia, United States

Geez... relax.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Elisabeth40 Apologies re temperature of washing. Have you read the 5 stage cleaning protocols recently? It had hours to a clean and much it includes is not needed now we know how Covid spreads.

Angela3989
Level 3
Milwaukee, WI

Hi @Leigh625  I think as long as it's routine cleaning between guests and there aren't any active stains to get out, cold should be fine. Detergent today is made to be effective in cold water. Do use a good detergent though. Best of luck!

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Leigh625, I hope everything is going well for you.

While we wait for other hosts to share their opinions, I wanted to check in and ask if you've had a chance to review the comments from our experienced hosts?

Building on Mike's suggestion, here's an article that might provide some useful insights: Clean like a pro with these expert tips.

Regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

E' possibile, con l'ausilio di buoni pre - trattanti o smacchiatori, lavare le lenzuola e gli asciugamani a temperature basse - 30/40 gradi - ottenendo risultati validi 

--

It is possible, with the help of good pre-treatments or stain removers, to wash sheets and towels at low temperatures - 30/40 degrees - obtaining valid results.

*This comment was translated by the Community Manager using Google Translate

@Leigh625 

Not sure, our cleaning person takes care of it. At home I always use cold water as I've read in the past water temp makes no difference doing laundry, other than maybe shrinking things in warmer water

Chhoury0
Level 2
San Pablo, CA

@Leigh625 

We let the machine do the cleaning. Cold water is fine since detergent will sanitize and disinfect. If the sheeting isn't very dirty, you can even use the quick wash cycle with detergent, if course. That should help save on water and electricity. 

Donna1586
Level 2
North Myrtle Beach, SC

@Leigh625 

Hi Leigh, I use the next setting up from cold (I think I have 4 total from cold to hot) and an Oxi tablet in every wash along with regular detergent. My white sheets and towels come out white and sparkling. Another important factor is not overloading and keeping everything separate. I only wash my sheets with sheets and pillowcases and I only wash my towels with towels and washcloths. I think these things are more important than the temperature.

@Leigh625 We have more than one set of sheets for each bed so they are rotated after cleaning.

We do a short cycle on warm water if it's a short stay (still 30 minutes in the wash). A longer cycle for a longer stay. I'd read research that said we "overwash" our things when they aren't really dirty.

We then dry on a normal cycle and iron the pillow cases so they are really neat when reused. Sometimes I steam iron sheets after I put them on the bed to eliminate wrinkles. So they are pretty sanitized before guests arrive.

Do what makes sense. I don't think you are in trouble with cold water. Think of all the civilizations that used to use the water in streams and lakes to wash. Just make sure the material is clean at the end.

Deborah1559
Level 2
Seguin, TX

@Leigh625 

I use all natural sheets, bamboo, eucalyptus, and/or egyptian cotton. 

My concern is massive washing of sheets and maintenance.

Therefore, I do wash in cold on delicate cycle. 

I add vinegar, borax, and natural clothes detergent "Zum" to the sheets for cleaning and disinfectant. 

This protects the fabric, while protecting my customers. Sheets smell amazing with Zum smell! 

@Leigh625 

My research says that cold is OK, but I bolster it with white vinegar in the rinse cycle. Vinegar kills germs and acts like a fabric softener. I used to use hot, but almost all sheets say to use cold, so they will last longer this way.